PDA

View Full Version : Resizing bulged 45 acp case

Pitchnit
07-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I have some MRP 45 ACP brass that was fired from an open bolt gun and the cases are slightly bulged about 1/3 the length up from the base. I am not familiar with MRP headstamp. Is it decent brass? I havn't tried to size it yet but does anyone know if std 45 acp dies will size it back down properly. I seem to remember needing 45 LC dies to do a full length resize of the acp case. Thanks all. Regards-Pitchnit

Shooter6br
07-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Try Lee 45Acp crimp die

jmorris
07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
We use casepros for roll sizing our smg brass, they size and base and extractor grove. Here is one I automated.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02028-1.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02110.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/th_casepro.jpg (http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/?action=view&current=casepro.mp4)

zomby woof
07-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Try Lee 45Acp crimp die

This or a bulge buster

tryNto
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
I use the Bulge Buster, It does the job just fine.

W.R.Buchanan
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Make sure you get the "Lee Deluxe Factory Crimp Die" that has the Carbide sizing ring .

Try www.titanreloading.com He can supply one probably quicker than most outfits.

Randy

Echo
07-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Seems to me that a regular steel or carbide size die would do the job...

W.R.Buchanan
07-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Echo: a regular size die won't go all the way to the bottom of the case.

Pushing the case all the way thru a Carbide FCD die makes the case cylindrical again.

YHou can't push a cse all the way thru a regular sizing die no matter how hard you try. The case head is bigger that the sizing ring in the die and it won't compress.

The sizing ring in the FCD is larger than the case head.

Randy

warpspeed
07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
I'd be surprised if a regular die won't work.

The groove on a 45 ACP is so much taller than a 9 or 40 case. I have always rolled my 40 & 9 cases but never found a 45 case that the die wouldn't reach.

The resize die should be adjusted so that it will go all the way down, touch the shell plate and then down another 1/4 turn..

jmorris
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Warpspeed, most dies have a radius at the end so the case doesn't have to be perfectly aligned with the die so there are not constant jams on progressives. The cases dont get sized in that area and lower.

noylj
07-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Safety first!
Since I don't want to suffer a case blow-out, I have a rather simple rule: If I can SEE the bulge, the case is destroyed.
I have NEVER SEEN a bulge on a .45 case.
I have 9x19, .40S&W, and .45 Auto cases that have enough case bulge (but not visible) that full length resizing will leave a raised ridge near the extractor groove that will prevent the case from chambering. For this reason, I run all my cases through a Lee Bulge Buster--AFTER disposing of ANY case that I SEE has a bulge. For 9x19 and 9x21 cases, I use the Lee 9mm Mak FCD.
You can get away with a lot with a low pressure case like the .45, but why risk your gun and hand over a 5 cent case?
There is NO case roller/sizer/whatever that can make a visibly bulged case as strong as it was before the bulge. You have exceeded the yield point of the brass...you can't go back to virgin after pregnancy.

jmorris
07-22-2012, 06:05 PM
I have 9x19, .40S&W, and .45 Auto cases that have enough case bulge (but not visible) that full length resizing will leave a raised ridge near the extractor groove that will prevent the case from chambering. For this reason, I run all my cases through a Lee Bulge Buster Same thing we use the roll sizer for. All of my brass is sorted by a machine that sorts by OD, thoes that don't drop in the right bucket are scrap. The auto rollsizer just makes it so you don't havt to touch a single case and they can clean up the rim and extractor grove (push through sizers can't do that).

mold maker
07-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I use the bulged 9 and 40 cases as jackets, but I wouldn't be afraid to reuse a reshaped 45.