PDA

View Full Version : Lee factory crimp die

NZSarge
07-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Hi, do I need or use the Lee Factory Crimp die for bottleneck rifle loading.

Specifically cast in .303? Or do I leave them un-crimped ( after the lee expander)

I have tried a search on the forum but for 10 minutes have got a 'server search error'
Not sure whether that is the answer in its self..:smile:

Plinkster
07-12-2012, 07:15 AM
In anything but a single shot I would recommend it. Lee really did a great job with that crimp die as crimp can be very finely adjusted. As always what you need will depend on what you're doing so adjust accordingly. For my magazine rifles I like to crimp just enough to eliminate seating depth changes under recoil of said rifle. That's what I'm after for a hunting scenario but if I'm only gonna be feeding that same rifle one at a time killing paper at the range I won't bother crimping.

marlin39a
07-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Lee Factory Crimp Dies are the only Lee Dies I use. You adjust how much to crimp that cannelure and it does it without risk of shoulder damage. I use it for a light crimp on non-cannelured bullets also.

Mk42gunner
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Do you need to use the Lee factory crimp die? No.

Can it help? Maybe.

Most of my rifle dies are RCBS , and I haven't had any problems just straightening the case neck when seating the boolit for use in a bolt action. The only ones I really crimp are the .30-30 and .35 Remington for use in lever actions; and I haven't had any problems roll crimping with the RCBS seating die.

Robert

GT27
07-13-2012, 09:50 PM
My opinion,its not necessarily needed for single shots,or bolts guns,but I like the insurance it provides for any semi-auto! GT27

Boyscout
07-14-2012, 06:46 PM
I change bullet types a lot for my 30-06 and 7.62x54R and the Lee factory crimp saves me a lot of frustration and crushed shoulders. It is much easier to use an extra die than be continously adjusting the bullet seating die and crimp. Try it out on one caliber and decide for yourself. Like it or not, you won't be out much money.

1hole
07-14-2012, 07:00 PM
"...do I need or use the Lee Factory Crimp die ..."

Need is a strong word. In general no bottle neck cartridge needs crimping unless it's used in a tube magazine rifle; that means you really don't need to crimp. However, crimping can be an aid to accuracy IF the loader knows what he's doing, why and how to do it. Sometimes it accomplishes nothing but if it's over done it can be detrimental to accuracy.

Lee's rifle FCD is, in my opinion, the best crimper ever sold but it has a moving part that requires a little thinking to use correctly and some guys don't seem to ever get it done right (and they blame the die).

ubetcha
07-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I use Lee Collet Dies for my 30-06 rifle and my 30-30 win T/C contender.The only reason I use the FCD on these calipers are to bring the mouth of the case back to necksize after flaring.All my bullets are touching the lands and are single shot.FDC's made for handguns I understand are made different and acually resize the bullet while in the case.

fryboy
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
erm pistol FCD dies CAN resize the boolit but that depends upon the user's setting ie; a heavy crimp isnt always needed

the rifle crimp dies are kind of nice , they have a use anyways , as stated for auto loaders they work great !! for things like my win 92 in 38-40 they allowed me to use many 40 caliber bullets that had no cannelure ( the win silvertips especially as those are awesum in that cartridge ) do you have to/need to use them ? no sir , if you have a cannelure regular roll crimping will work great , perhaps the best feature is that trim length isnt as critical and once again you can control how much or how little of crimp is applied ( from merely straightening out the flare as ubetcha mentioned to actually creating a cannelure if desired , and yes they can deform a projectile that much )

MtGun44
07-15-2012, 02:52 PM
It is a good crimper, lets you get away with fairly variable case length and still get a
decent crimp.

If you aren't having chambering issues from the case mouth flare or boolits pushing
back during feeding from the mag, you may not need one.

Bill

1hole
07-15-2012, 05:11 PM
"FDC's made for handguns I understand are made different and acually resize the bullet while in the case. "

Wellll, not exactly, not if the ammo is made correctly.

The handgun FCD's post-seating sizer ring is made to correct poorly made cartridges loaded with greatly over sized bullets so they can chamber reliably.

jcwit
07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
The handgun FCD's post-seating sizer ring is made to correct poorly made cartridges loaded with greatly over sized bullets so they can chamber reliably.

But what is, greatly oversized bullets?

Are not cast bullets to be .001/.002 over barrel bore dia.? So bullet dia. is directly related to barrel bore dia. not the diameter of the FCD's dia./carbide ring.

MtGun44
07-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Lee pistol FCD work for some, ruin the ammo for others and solve no real problem that a
proper set of dies, used correctly will not avoid. Post-seating sizing commonly reduces
the size of boolits, and if they were the necessary size to begin with.

IMO, if you need post sizing, you have a problem with the dies. Normal dies should make
ammo that fits a SAAMI spec chamber. If not, you are probably using them wrong or they
are messed up.

Lee pistol type FCD is a solution looking for a problem. Lee rifle type FCD (including the
Ranch Dog pistol caliber collet crimping FCDs) are a very good collet crimper that is a bit
more forgiving than conventional shoulder type crimp dies.

Bill

Silver Hand
07-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I am sure glad they invented the crimp die. I must need one, after all thirty five years of reloading and casting finally something I never had a problem with in the first place is just a must.

Plinkster
07-18-2012, 02:35 AM
One other instance in which it can be beneficial is if loading for a firearm with a larger than average for caliber groove diameter. If you gotta load a fat boolit sometimes the standard crimp/seat die will push the boolit in further than the seating plug. The Lee FCD will let you get around this problem nicely. I am a fan of the collet type FCD however if I had been setup with something else before I'd contracted this reloading disease I probably would not be running out to buy them for all my calibers. And Lee can keep their pistol FCD.

cwlongshot
07-18-2012, 06:14 AM
I consider the LEE FCD a solution to a non existent problem... Misused and they can actually create more problems.

The crimp built into the seater of nearly anyones die, will suffice all requirements and has since they where offered...

CW

TheDoctor
07-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Ranch Dog has some pistol FCDs that are of the collet variety. Wish I had known about them a few years ago!

Dead Dog Jack
07-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Hi, do I need or use the Lee Factory Crimp die for bottleneck rifle loading.

Specifically cast in .303? Or do I leave them un-crimped ( after the lee expander)

I use it for cast .303 ammo. I use a neck sizer and the cast bullet is sometimes not seated tightly enough. The factory crimp die solves that problem.

There is enough jostling around in the transition from charger to magazine to chamber that the bullet can get knocked around. Again, the factory crimp die solves that problem.

HTH

Silver Hand
07-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I have never had this problem using RCBS dies and equipment. Not once!
Just wanted to be a bit more specific.
I might someday have a problem, it is nice to know there is a solution.