PDA

View Full Version : Maybe evenyone could write lee

Lloyd Smale
07-12-2012, 06:07 AM
I sent them an email and maybe if we got a bunch of requests theyd condider making a shot maker at a reasonable price.

Jim
07-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Forgive me for being pessimistic, but if it takes 25 orders to get the set-up fee waived for a special mold being made, I can't imagine how many orders it would take to get a new product designed, engineered and manufactured. The initial investment in machinery alone would be a chunk of money.

Plinkster
07-12-2012, 07:23 AM
I would have to guess that as far a machinery they'd be covered already and would likely only need to add a few specific tools/cutters and some fixturing. But I believe you nailed it on the head with the design and engineering being a significant cost. That being said it can't hurt! Hell if the cost weren't absurd I'd probably buy one. Hmmmm...excuse me I have an email to write now.

Lonegun1894
07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Email sent. I hope they decide to offer one, cause if they do, I will gladly buy one instead of continueing experimenting with my home made ones and getting the very mixed results I have been getting as of late.

shaune509
07-12-2012, 07:47 PM
With all those who have made there own shot makers on this site or those who use the costly machines for sale out there, has any one compiled a list of the dripper sizes [holeID] to shot size produced? Or one of our members with machining skills [you know who you are] could set up to do small lots of drippers to sell here. I have an idea for how to set up the machine and hope to make it up this winter, the only hard part for my shop would be drilling the SS bolts used as the dripper.
Shaune509

JeffinNZ
07-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I will contact Lee and offer to send my shotmaker as a pattern.

Fishman
07-12-2012, 11:59 PM

That's very generous Jeff! I hope they take you up on i but I share the others pessimism.

Lloyd Smale
07-13-2012, 04:54 AM
thats very generous of you Jeff

FLINTNFIRE
07-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Time to write an email , I also think it would be a worthwhile idea , the more that write the better the chances

JeffinNZ
07-13-2012, 05:58 PM

Email and offered submitted and acknowledged by Lee. Let's see what happens.

jmsj
07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
+1 on email sent. Hope they give a favorable response
jmsj

Sgt Petro
07-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Does anyone belong to other forums, so we can spread the word?
+1 email sent as well.

Sgt Petro
07-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I only live an hour and twenty minutes from Lee. I offered my small shotmaker as a prototype as well.
I also specifically asked how many people would need to commit before even a limited would be considered. I'd like to know how much support we need to drum up.

UNIQUEDOT
07-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Lee could probably offer us a decent shotmaker for around a hundred bucks, but R&D would likely require them to purchase several models if they were to plan on doing it right. The problem i see with it is that most hunters would have no need for one and most serious target shooters that use them require a lot of output. A dove hunter might be persuaded to buy one as some gray darts have the mysterious power to evaporate lead or steel shot in thin air.

leadman
07-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I used a Littleton to make at least 3,000 pounds of shot in a couple recent years. The problem I ran into was the machine was designed around WW and was marginal with anything else.
Even reclaimed shot was marginal. I experimented with 15 different alloys before I stopped making shot.
That said even shot that was not perfectly round shot well. My friend shoots lots of skeet and he said his scores were just as good as with factory shot. A couple of my customers said the same thing.

Maybe other machines produce good shot with other than WW, I just don't know.

The Littleton is not complicated and could be made by someone with some fabricating skills.

If you want to investigate the size for the dipper holes Magma is the Littleton dealer and sells them.

Lonegun1894
07-14-2012, 10:56 PM
The email response I got from them said that they do not offer one and dont plan to, but gave me a link to a youtube video and a note that some people have modified their melting pots to function as shotmakers. I hate to say it, but the video did not impress me in the least, so I have to wonder if they just sent the first link that involved a lee product and the word "shot" or what the idea was.

Sgt Petro
07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Lee Precision will not be making a shot maker in the future, thank your for your interest.
Check YouTube for a few homemade attachments individuals have made.
This is the response I received from Lee.

Now, that doesn't mean we have to stop asking. I think the biggest problem is lack of people writing. I've been in small business my whole life. Five or ten emails here or there, won't change anyone's mind. No one will sit up and take notice until we get into the hundred range.

That part is completely up to us...

mac1911
07-16-2012, 12:18 PM
I think for the most part if LEE thought they could produce a shot maker asnd make money they would have done so by now. I have used both the littleton and james stewart better shotmaker.
By far the james stewart beat the sknot out of the littleton both product quality and out put.
The shot makers are a tad touchy. I will add to above post that they are partial to Wheel Wheight alloy. I have had decent results with the better shot maker with all but pure lead. The biggest problem with pure lead is it gets to hot quickly and you really need to regulate the amount of lead above the drippers. To much and the lead flows to fast makeing for smaller shot....I went to make my own before buying one. The time and energy I wasted finding materials and tools to finish the project I could have just spent picking up brass and spent boolits of the range and cashed them in.

If You have the resources to build one theres enough stuff on youtube to get you in the ball park for design. I found my james stewart machine on NES forums used 300.00 for everything includeing coolant, extra tanks,pump, lead ect ect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQKlv1mQzD4&feature=plcp

theres a littleton forsale on hydroponics.com

jmsj
07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Here's the response I got from Lee:
Sorry no interest in producing a shot maker. I have used them and I predict they would be a customer service nightmare. Thanks for thinking of us on this product.

--
Sincerely,

John Lee, President

Steph

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

Ticket Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticket ID: ALL-392-25993
Department: TechSupport
Type: Issue
Priority: Normal

Support Center: http://www.leeprecision.net/support/index.php?

Well, it was worth a try.
I appreciate that the Lee company took the time to respond
jmsj

mac1911
07-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I think lee is right about customer nightmare. Shotmakers are not plug and play. So many variables..I hear littleton has next to zero CS. James Stewart answered all my emails and got me on track quickly.

Lloyd Smale
07-17-2012, 04:30 AM
heck they make the pro1000 and loadmaster and if ever there were customer service nightmares those two would be the kings.

JeffinNZ
07-17-2012, 05:44 AM
It's true Lloyd, it's true. I was thinking about the burrs in moulds hanging up boolits but let's not focus on the negatives. I really hope someone picks up the ball and runs with it. I'm OK with my shotmaker but would love to see such like available for you guys too. They are not difficult to use as Mr Lee suggests.

mac1911
07-17-2012, 11:15 AM
they been make those presses for a long time, think they got it under control on CS end.

I have noticed that even a difference in ambient ari temp affects the shot maker. along with coolant temp, lead temp alloy ect ect....