PDA

View Full Version : i broke my bfr

5shotbfr
07-12-2012, 12:15 AM
yea i broke my .475 bfr , and it my own fault [smilie=b:

the last time i had it out i didnt go over it and make sure all the screws was still tight .
so this afternoon 4 rounds into a good time , i noticed a screw head on the bench
the short screw in front of the trigger guard sheared off after the grip frame o so slightly losened up .

i took it apart and the rest of the screw turned right out with no problem .

anyone have a replacement source for this screw

frankenfab
07-12-2012, 12:28 AM
MRI

I have lost the ejector housing screw for my 444 when I took it apart, and need to call them myself.

44man
07-12-2012, 08:24 AM
I made my own screw for that spot. For some reason the screw they use is too short. It should reach all the way to the inside of the frame.
Tighten too much and the screw will strip.
I have talked to them about it and don't know if they changed it.
They must be tight.
Even on the Ruger SBH, when I went to a heavy boolit, I sheared 3 screws all at once because I failed to check them. [smilie=b:

5shotbfr
07-12-2012, 12:38 PM
i did notice when i removed what was left of the screw that it seemed a tad short , to be honest i didnt give it much thought .

the very nice young lady i talked to at mri customer service while trying her best to be helpful was not able to say if the new screw they are sending me will be longer then the origonal
looks like i will find out when it shows up

if anyones found a source for ready made screws of a proper lenght please let me know

tek4260
07-12-2012, 11:00 PM
I remember reading somewhere that MR screws were too soft. Aggie01 had some for sale a while back that had been customized a bit and one of the improvements was replacing the "too soft" screws that come on MR revolvers.

And yea, that front screw is waaaay short.

44man
07-13-2012, 08:26 AM
I remember reading somewhere that MR screws were too soft. Aggie01 had some for sale a while back that had been customized a bit and one of the improvements was replacing the "too soft" screws that come on MR revolvers.

And yea, that front screw is waaaay short.
I used an Allen head cap screw, filed the head to fit the recess and rounded and polished the top. I cut it to reach the inside of the frame.
Here is how it looks.

x101airborne
07-13-2012, 08:40 AM
44man has it down.

Find a TRUE hardware store like Duo-Fast, or some other industrial fastener store and they can and usually will be happy to get you anything you need. They can get you the proper thread, lenght, head, whatever.

I sheared one of the bolts on my chainsaw and went to my Texas Tool and Hardware store. They extracted the old bolt, measured it for thread and length, and ordered me a replacement grade 8. Cost for all that? 1.15 for the new bolt. I bet a comparable store could do the same for your BFR.

44man
07-13-2012, 09:59 AM
If I remember the screws are standard 8-32. Easy to find, no fancy thread sizes.
Some cap screws have a head too large to fit so just chuck and file or polish so the head fits. Then get the length right. You need all the threads you can get.
That screw has been a thorn in my side. I have tried my best to get a change.

5shotbfr
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
my new screws from mri showed up today .

long story short .. its the exact same screw that was in my bfr origonaly .. about 3 threads to short .
so tomarow after work i am going to stop at my bolt guy and do as 44man did .. make my own