PDA

View Full Version : Single Set Trigger Question

oldracer
07-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I have a single set trigger and it is the first one I have had any experience with. There are no markings of any kind on it and I have looked at dozens of sites that sell all sorts of muzzle loader parts, kits and such. The trigger works as advertised in that you push it forward to "set" it but then the unusual happens, there is about 1/8 inch of no resistance travel of the trigger and when that is gone it breaks at about 1 to 1.5 oz pull. I have it set just enough to not let it break if the gun is jarred or hit. I also noted, the trigger will not fire the gun unless it is set and on several trigger makers/suppliers sites they note that the trigger should still fire?

Is this normal and does anyone have any idea what it is?

I just added these picts and in the top left one the trigger is unset in top right it is set and lower shows left side in set mode. I did see the initials "W.C. C.... and some additional letters but the rear mount hole is drilled through them?

2152hq
07-11-2012, 10:00 PM
The simpler of the double set triggers is called a single phase or single action style. They only work in the 'set' position and you cannot fire the rifle w/o setting the trigger.
No amount of pull on the front trigger will fire the rifle unless it is set. There is no sear bar attached to the front trigger to engage the sear of the lock directly.

The second type and the most common made today is the double phase or double action style. It will fire the rifle either in the 'set' or the unset condition. The front trigger has a sear bar attached to it that can reach the sear of the lock,,and with a sometimes less then optimum trigger pull, the front trigger can be used to fire the rifle from the unset position.

The extra trigger travel in the assembly sound like over engagement of the back trigger with the front trigger sear notch.
There is usually a screw that can be used to limit the engagement of the two surfaces and therefore adjust the let-off pull.
To adjust, you usually set the trigger,,turn the adjustment screw in till the trigger fires itself,,then back off the adjustment screw 1 turn.
Then make the final adjustment within that 1 turn to the lightest but still safe letoff.

If the screw doesn't help with the excess trigger travel, check for misallignment of the triggers or if someone has filed the notch or sear tip a bit in an attempt to adjust the pull. The engagement of the two surfaces is very small,,the leverage between the parts is what allows it to happen safely and with such a light let off.

waksupi
07-11-2012, 10:49 PM
That is pretty common for a single set, and why I quit using them some years ago. I never had one, that did not have very noticeable creep before setting off.

oldracer
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I have been looking around some and I think this is what is called a W.C. Cain trigger and in the muzzleloader forum I found a post that said there were two single trigger models, one that DID fire w/o a set and the one like mine that did not. I was hesitant to call the trigger movement "creep" but I guess that is what it is although there is absolutely no resistance to trigger movement? I try it for a while to how I like it and so far I did find it keeps me from "bumping" the front trigger like I do on my other muzzle loaders at times and the shot disappears........

Good Cheer
07-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I have one single set, on a flinter pistol. It has just enough so you can feel it and know where you are before you touch it off.

2152hq
07-15-2012, 06:14 PM
(Walter) Cain triggers & locks are considered top of the line. Right along with those made by Bob Roller and a few others. All machined parts,,no castings. Hand fitted.
I think he also did some of the assembling of locks for the original Siler locks before Chambers bought them out. This would have been in the 60's/70's.

Many do not like the single action set trigger style, wether it's a single set like this one or a double set. They like the option of being able to fire the rifle in the unset mode as well. But that's just a function of the design, and a double action trigger will allow it.

Never inexpensive, I haven't seen an WC Cain triggers for sale lately. Sometimes one of the M/L supply places has a few for sale.
Stonewall Creek or maybe MuzzleLoaders Supply had a couple NOS Cain trigger for sale a while back. They sell quick.

Even a cheap single set trigger w/cast parts and ultra simple design goes for $30/$60 now.
R.E. Davis sells one for around $35,,Muzzle Loader Supply has one of their own design out now for $55.

Col4570
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/FileSingleSetTrigger.jpg
This is a drawing of a single set trigger i made to fit my 50 cal Muzzle loader.
The heart shaped Trigger blade has the mainspring roller riding on it.The trigger can be adjusted so that the roller is almost riding over the bump.The release is very smooth and light.It can also be used as a normal Trigger.To operate push the trigger forward to set .
Regards.

johnson1942
01-17-2013, 06:54 PM
i bought a single set trigger and put it on a long range target muzzle loader. to be honest it is the last single set trigger i will buy, it isnt the trigger the double sets are. i bought it from track of the wolf. it isnt their falt, it isnt a good trigger, was as costly as a good double set. i just make a regular pull trigger for that gun. i dont want one of my boys to inherit that gun some day and kill their selves with it. it is safe with me but i have a high skills level to be careful with it. the next guy maybe wont. next time buy a good double set trigger and you will be a lot more pleased.

Col4570
01-22-2013, 03:27 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/P1010012-1.jpg
This is the own made Rifle I made and fitted the single set trigger to.As per my crude drawing.It was neccessary to make a detent for the Lock ( an old Shotgun Lock )since the set trigger when released dropped on half cock.I can operate the trigger as a normal release or in set trigger mode.
Regards.