PDA

View Full Version : Ruger and S&W forcing cone

PacMan
07-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Just passing another hot day and found this. Does it matter? I have not a clue.

Bullet is a 160 FN.
Left is GP100

btroj
07-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Only some ammo and a target can say for sure. Let us know.

Salmoneye
07-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Redacting...

Now I see what you are asking...

Slug both barrels, and see what the slugs mic at...

You do not mention what the 'bullet' is other than weight...Diameter is as important...

Also slug your chamber throats and see if they all match your barrel diameters...

paul h
07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
I've shot Rugers with the factory throats, I've recut the forcing cone with a 12 deg cutting tool from brownells, and I've cut taylor throats into ruger barrels. I've learned to only worry about the forcing cone and throat dimensions if a gun isn't grouping well.

It's best to keep the meaurement tools away from a gun until the targets tell you to look for a problem. I've had guns that on inspection had "problems" but they shot great.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-11-2012, 10:03 PM
It's best to keep the meaurement tools away from a gun until the targets tell you to look for a problem. I've had guns that on inspection had "problems" but they shot great.

Total agree there.

btroj
07-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Exactly. Why to looking for trouble. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

jblee10
07-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Put the boolit in backwards and show us a pic.
But I agree, if it isn't broke don't fix it.

bob208
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM
yes i agree with all of the above. some posts i read are real scary. first some try to measure what they don't have tools to measure right. then they try to remachine the gun to make it right. and they don't have machines to do the job. then they are upset when the gun does not shoot good.

PacMan
07-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Not trying to measure anything .Just showing the diffrence between the two.
Special tools not needd to figure out there is a diffrence in the two and the bullet dia is moot as long as it is the same one used for both.
Relax guys just showing the diffrence is all.

bob208
07-12-2012, 06:50 AM
not picking on you at all. just went off a little. but i will say i have seen alot of things ruined with i was setting around with nothing to do so i thought i would look at this.

Salmoneye
07-12-2012, 07:44 AM

I agree also...

44man
07-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Not all revolvers use the same angle at the cone.

PacMan
07-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Not all revolvers use the same angle at the cone.

Yea and that is what i was showing here.

PacMan
07-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Redacting...

Now I see what you are asking...

Slug both barrels, and see what the slugs mic at...

You do not mention what the 'bullet' is other than weight...Diameter is as important...

Also slug your chamber throats and see if they all match your barrel diameters...

What does all this have to do with me showing you the diffrence in the two forcing cones?

As info for all at this point the Smith has out shot the GP100 by a wide margin using this bullet. So would i start cutting anything? nope. Wish i had the same angle in the Ruger as the Smith? Yeap

Some sure take info. hard.
Pac

Moondawg
07-12-2012, 09:14 AM
The photos show what many already suspect? S&W revolvers often shoot straighter than Ruger revolvers

Salmoneye
07-12-2012, 11:39 AM
What does all this have to do with me showing you the diffrence in the two forcing cones?

As info for all at this point the Smith has out shot the GP100 by a wide margin using this bullet. So would i start cutting anything? nope. Wish i had the same angle in the Ruger as the Smith? Yeap

Some sure take info. hard.
Pac

Sorry, but your first post comes off as if you believe there is an issue...

Otherwise, why post it in the first place, even going to all the trouble to post pics and asking, "Does it matter?"...

Ahh...I see...Just for the edification of the masses...

BTW...Nowhere did I suggest "cutting" anything...

mainiac
07-12-2012, 11:48 AM
pacman, i enjoy your post. I like to share different observations on this sight as well.I do a ton of shooting,and sometimes i report on here some of my findings,on the belief that some will find it intresting.Lots of times i seem to get alot of free advice,,,,makes the world go round.......

Im a huge ruger fan btw. round here,evryone shoots smiths,,so i have to be different!!!!

paul h
07-12-2012, 01:01 PM
The photos show what many already suspect? S&W revolvers often shoot straighter than Ruger revolvers

Then why is the bullet in the S&W forcing cone so crooked? Not likely to be a straight shooter if the cone is so far off.

:kidding:

95+% of the time who's firing the handgun determines the group size, not who's stamp is on the frame.

MtGun44
07-12-2012, 01:49 PM
No one answer to the 'revolver question', so take the target testing to heart.

If the gun won't shoot, there might be some ways to fix it, but if it will - stop,
don't change a thing, regardless of how "wrong" it might be.

Bill

PacMan
07-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Then why is the bullet in the S&W forcing cone so crooked? Not likely to be a straight shooter if the cone is so far off.

:kidding:

95+% of the time who's firing the handgun determines the group size, not who's stamp is on the frame.

95% rule always applys.

Paulh- the crooked bullet is just caused by me laying the gun on its side.The bullet sets well in the forcing cone.

paul h
07-12-2012, 02:00 PM
I figured the bullet was laying crooked, I just like to rib the S&W fans.

I've had Rugers that have shot phenominally, and those that need some work, and one that has required alot of work.

PacMan
07-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Sorry, but your first post comes off as if you believe there is an issue...

Otherwise, why post it in the first place, even going to all the trouble to post pics and asking, "Does it matter?"...

Ahh...I see...Just for the edification of the masses...

BTW...Nowhere did I suggest "cutting" anything...

Yes there could be an issue but like i said i dont know and i assume you dont either.
Your first reply had nothing to do with the issue anyway.
I never said you said anything about cutting,only refering to other post.

Why post it? Because i wanted to see what the masses thought,not get bashed without cause.

Salmoneye
07-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes there could be an issue but like i said i dont know and i assume you dont either.
Your first reply had nothing to do with the issue anyway.
I never said you said anything about cutting,only refering to other post.

Why post it? Because i wanted to see what the masses thought,not get bashed without cause.

You do realize that nowhere have I bashed you yet...

Smiths having short forcing cones is not news to many of us...I suggested that if you thought there was an issue you should slug your bores and chambers...

Why this upsets you so is beyond me...

paul h
07-12-2012, 04:32 PM
If you think this is bashing, you're probably too sensitive to be communicating via internet forums. I've been participating in various shooting forums for nearly 20 years, and I've yet to see any posts here that were in any way a bash.

You ask peoples opinion and recieved them. Since you didn't really say much in your initial post nor have a specific question, it lead people to take liberties to expand upon your post and share some of their experiences.

PacMan
07-12-2012, 10:25 PM
If you think this is bashing, you're probably too sensitive to be communicating via internet forums. I've been participating in various shooting forums for nearly 20 years, and I've yet to see any posts here that were in any way a bash.

You ask peoples opinion and recieved them. Since you didn't really say much in your initial post nor have a specific question, it lead people to take liberties to expand upon your post and share some of their experiences.

Oh i am not really over sensitive my choice of words ,bashing, my be off a little.
And you are right i did not put out a bunch of info. Did not really see where it was needed to just show the diffrence between the two.
It is the post that followed my post that sort of soured be.
If it ant broke dont fix it.
Comments on cutting when such things were never mentioned.
Using improper measuring tools. Did know i was measuring anything.
Slug your gun , check cylinder throats
And a couple of other i dont care to go back and find.

There is a lot of discussion on this site about Smiths being more accurate than the GP100. IF they are their has to be a reason. Am i saying that the forcing cone is the answer? No but it could be.

SALMONEYE i will at this time take your statement that your not bashing me YET as just comming out wrong. If i am wrong let me know.

44man
07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
I do not see bashing at at all. Just simple observations.
Does the S&W shoot better then a Ruger? Maybe and a Ruger can shoot better then a S&W too. Nothing to do with the forcing cone. Forcing cones have been fiddled with for years with no improvement worth the cost.

white eagle
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Just passing another hot day and found this. Does it matter? I have not a clue.

Bullet is a 160 FN.
Left is GP100

I would bet not :lovebooli

btroj
07-13-2012, 09:06 PM
As the person who said "don't fix it if it ain't broke" I will say I meant no insult.

Ypur question lead me to believe you wanted to know if I mattered. I don't know for sure. I just got an impression that like many here you might be thinking of fixing it before testing it.

I don't think one revolver is more or less accurate than another solely based upon forcing come angle.

My GP100 is adequately accurate for my needs. Never wonder, or wanted, a Smith so I can't say.

I suppose that such an open ended question is open to wide interpretation and hence gets a wide array of answers. A more specific question usually, but not always, gets a specific answer.