PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot's Cake Cutters

Ickisrulz
07-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I just received two cake cutters I ordered from Buckshot. I have to say these things are sweet! They were for a great price and came very quickly. I recommend them to all pan lubers.

rmk
08-02-2012, 03:10 AM
I took your advice and mighty glad I did. Got mine today and like you I am thrilled. For some reason the only pan lubing I have done is for a .460. After seeing buckshot's work I am thinking I need an excuse for some more. Didn't know I needed a nice little set of cutters till I saw this one. For any of you looking for a class act, I predict you will like Buckshot and his work. We are lucky to have him here doing such fine work and asking for so little. Mike

mdi
08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Pics??

Swede44mag
08-08-2012, 05:43 PM
A Picture is worth a thousand words.

jlchucker
08-10-2012, 10:29 AM
How about a link for Buckshot's cake cutters? I've got a new Ranchdog mold for my 44 mag, and the boolits show promise in my EMF 44 mag rifle. Trouble is, right now I've got a choice of making a mess trying to lube them with my Lyman 450, or tumble-lubing. I want to try dip lubing using White Label alox and a cake cutter. I haven't tried the tumble lube method yet but plan to. Call me old fashioned but I like all my lube grooves filled full, without having to wipe excess lube of parts of my finished boolits.

Beagle333
08-10-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm unaware of a link. I pm'd him and he sent me this pic and details.
http://www.fototime.com/B2166A90FBCACE8/standard.jpg

PB234
08-30-2012, 09:38 AM
I also received one. It is beautiful work. A thing of beauty.

Kskybroom
08-30-2012, 05:04 PM
....WoW Nice Work....

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
I too got one in .452, beautiful little tool.

cajun shooter
09-17-2012, 08:09 AM
I have been using Buckshots lube cutters for over four years now. I have posted many a thread and told others about his work and how it makes pan lubing a fun project and not something to be hated. In fact there was a new member not long ago that posted he hated pan lubing and was going to quit.
I posted the information about Buckshot and never heard anything back so I guess he was satisfied.

jbelder
09-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Got on that train along time ago! He does excellent work.

splashout101
09-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Hello, I would like to buy a couple of cutters, can any one tell he how to contact the maker, thanks ron.

FergusonTO35
09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm going to be ordering some soon.

Beagle333
09-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Hello, I would like to buy a couple of cutters, can any one tell he how to contact the maker, thanks.

Just send a PM to "Buckshot". He'll hook you right up! [smilie=w:

0verkill
09-25-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm unaware of a link. I pm'd him and he sent me this pic and details.
http://www.fototime.com/B2166A90FBCACE8/standard.jpg

Those look amazing. Buckshot not only makes perfectly working tools, but he pays attention to finish as well. A true craftsman indeed.

cajun shooter
09-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Just remember to have him make them larger than the bullet you are cutting from the lube block.
I was just reading where one poster stated he had his .452 cutter. That will not work with .452 bullets. You have to allow.001-.002 on each side so that the bullet will follow the cutter up and out the top as it is designed to work.

jlchucker
10-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Just remember to have him make them larger than the bullet you are cutting from the lube block.
I was just reading where one poster stated he had his .452 cutter. That will not work with .452 bullets. You have to allow.001-.002 on each side so that the bullet will follow the cutter up and out the top as it is designed to work.

I recently ordered a couple of these. Haven't got them back yet but from email conversations with Buckshot I'm confident in his products already. The best way to get the right size, I'm convinced, is to let him know what your finished cast boolit size will be. Then he'll know what inside diameter to make your cutter, allowing for what will be the right size for you. I ordered cutters for use in making boolits for two of my rifles, and asked him what, if anything, seemed to be common sizes by caliber. He replied that the orders that he gets end up being all over the place, finished-boolit sizewise. Buckshot is a very responsive guy, and if you send him your check with a letter in it, he'll message you back. He responds to his messages every time you send him one, pretty close to overnight. I'm very interested in seeing the cutters that he sends me. :coffeecom

Ickisrulz
10-04-2012, 11:40 AM

I just told him the size of my dropped bullets and he made them to work. He's responsive, fast and competitively priced.

splashout101
10-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I received two cake cutters yesterday, Very nice and they really work, I sent two .58 cal minies with my order, so they are perfect for both of my cast minies.

jlchucker
10-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I recently received the two cake cutters that I ordered. They're well made, and stamped with the caliber of boolit that they were bought for. I haven't tried them yet. I'm heading out to buy a hot plate and a small, cheap frying pan in which to melt up some lube, this very day. I'm confident that I'll get some good results with the few Ranchdog 44 mag boolits that I'll start with. I can see myself ordering a couple more of these tools--one for 357 boolits and another for 30 cal. After reading Splashout101's posting, I may even have to get back into blackpowder rifle shooting with some cast maxi's and Crisco-based lube.

cajun shooter
10-25-2012, 08:03 AM
To those who posted about my adding the info about the size you order. I'm quite aware that Buckshot has enough common sense to know how his Kate cutters work with the sizes requested.
My information had to do with the fact that if you use different alloys with the same mould then one size will not work. Therefore I was including the info to make sure you have your sizes so that it will have clearance.
As I posted in my original posting I have used his cutters for at least 4 or so years and have posted many a reference to them.
His work is nothing but top drawer!!

kryogen
09-06-2015, 07:59 AM
How much are those worth

Beagle333
09-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Send him a PM.:grin: It has been a couple+ of years since I got mine.

kryogen
09-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Well approx?

Leadmelter
09-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Where does he list his products? Always looking for the next best thing.
Leadmelter
MI

kryogen
09-07-2015, 09:35 PM
doesnt seem to list?

PB234
09-07-2015, 09:39 PM
I have a couple of his cake cutters and they are beautiful. The quality tool that is just enjoyable to appreciate. I should email him for another for a different caliber soon.

kryogen
09-09-2015, 07:32 AM
I sent him a pm. I would rather try a few hundreds with lee sizing and pan lubing before I jump on a star

kryogen
09-10-2015, 08:34 PM
no reply from buckshot

jaysouth
09-13-2015, 12:06 AM
I got mine in the mail on Wed. I told I needed a cutter for bullets that I size at .310 and .311.

The cutter he sent me was marked .314 and works perfectly. I tried dipping bullets in Alox and Randyrats's Tac-1. I loaded us some today in a .308 and will get a chance to range test them in a few days.

It seems to me that it took about 9-10 days from order to delivery. The quality is first class.

kryogen
01-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Got one today. He makes those 4 mils over bullet dia (2 mils slack around the bullet)

very well made, solid, perfect fit. Thanks buckshot.

Rizzo
01-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Excuse my ignorance but would someone explain to me how these Cake Cutters work?

I tumble lube my boolits with LLA, let them dry, size, tumble lube again, dry, then load 'em up.

Are they for some other method of lubing?
Confused.

Thanks.

kryogen
01-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Excuse my ignorance but would someone explain to me how these Cake Cutters work?
I tumble lube my boolits with LLA, let them dry, size, tumble lube again, dry, then load 'em up.
Confused.
Thanks.

It's not ignorance, it's refusal to learn on your own.
If you can actually get on the internet on a forum about cast bullets, there is no valid reason to ask this question.
Why? Because you can go on youtube, or google, and type the title of this thread "bullet cake cutter" and learn.
Then you will find out that it's about pan lubing.
Then you will go on google and youtube, and search for "bullet pan lubing".
Then you will know it all.

Cast bullets is about helping each other, but it's also about making small efforts to learn by yourself.

jmort
01-24-2016, 10:10 PM
How to pan lube lead bullets for reloading
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiC8qBaHZNU

RogerDat
01-24-2016, 10:18 PM

Confused.

Thanks.

Bullets set upright to stand in a cake pan of melted lube that is allowed to harden. The cake cutter is a tube that is pushed over the bullet to cut it out of the harden lube. Because it is a snug fit over the bullet it only leaves the hardened lube in the lube grooves. Budget way of using harder wax lubes that normally require lube sizing equipment.

People use things like tapered golf club handles cut at the point where they roughly match the bullet diameter, buckshot makes nice ones that will be a close fit. Much like the Lee sizers as each new bullet is cut it pushes one out of the top of the cutter. After all the bullets are cut out of the pan of lube it can be re-melted and another batch of bullets put in it and the lube is allowed to set up again.

Tumble lube is fine for lots of stuff but sometimes one wants a harder wax lube which will fill the lube grooves. As was suggested look up pan lubing to find out the details. Me I would powder coat with shake and bake (Air Soft BB Dry Tumble ASBBDT) if I wanted the higher velocities or lube that would last through a long barrel. Or brush Lee Alox directly into the lube grooves. Or both :-)

I have been thinking of doing pan lube for 303 British or 8mm Mauser because people have recipes for loads for these rounds that involve harder lubes and I don't want to buy an expensive piece of equipment just for that.

kryogen
01-24-2016, 11:17 PM
I pan lube until i can confirm that i can shoot 9mm in my gun without leading. Then i will buy a star. Pan lubing works but takes some time.

i dont like pc or hitek because of the time involved.

star sizer is the fastest way.

Rizzo
01-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Bullets set upright to stand in a cake pan of melted lube that is allowed to harden. The cake cutter is a tube that is pushed over the bullet to cut it out of the harden lube. Because it is a snug fit over the bullet it only leaves the hardened lube in the lube grooves. Budget way of using harder wax lubes that normally require lube sizing equipment.

People use things like tapered golf club handles cut at the point where they roughly match the bullet diameter, buckshot makes nice ones that will be a close fit. Much like the Lee sizers as each new bullet is cut it pushes one out of the top of the cutter. After all the bullets are cut out of the pan of lube it can be re-melted and another batch of bullets put in it and the lube is allowed to set up again.

Tumble lube is fine for lots of stuff but sometimes one wants a harder wax lube which will fill the lube grooves. As was suggested look up pan lubing to find out the details. Me I would powder coat with shake and bake (Air Soft BB Dry Tumble ASBBDT) if I wanted the higher velocities or lube that would last through a long barrel. Or brush Lee Alox directly into the lube grooves. Or both :-)

I have been thinking of doing pan lube for 303 British or 8mm Mauser because people have recipes for loads for these rounds that involve harder lubes and I don't want to buy an expensive piece of equipment just for that.

RogerDat, thank you for your reply.

jmort, thanks for the youtube link. I watched both parts.

<sigh> and,
Hey kryogen,
Dude, take some deep slow breaths....really.

Chris C
01-27-2016, 09:18 PM
Not sure I see the reasoning of using them. When my container of lube cools off, I pop 50 bullets out in the wink of an eye. No mess, no fuss. Lube stays in the grooves where it belongs. Been doing it that way for the past 5 years. Works for me. If'n it ain't broke, it don't need fixin', my old Granny used to say.

kryogen
01-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Not sure I see the reasoning of using them. When my container of lube cools off, I pop 50 bullets out in the wink of an eye. No mess, no fuss. Lube stays in the grooves where it belongs. Been doing it that way for the past 5 years. Works for me. If'n it ain't broke, it don't need fixin', my old Granny used to say.

doesnt work with all bullets and lubes.

doesnt work with my 9mm bullets and my lube. It gets torn off the groove if I do that. plus, it doesnt scrape the bullet so it's full of lube all around, and it gums the dies.

Chill Wills
01-31-2016, 12:44 PM
I think you are right. It does not work with all lube.

About the bullets; I think I never met a bullet that could not be pan lubed with the right lube tho.

All that mess and the need to cut the bullets out goes away using the right lubes. The bullets will push out full of lube with none where you don't want it.

lightload
01-31-2016, 08:47 PM
I think that Rizzo's question is valid. Also it generated several informative replies.

kryogen
01-31-2016, 10:43 PM
I like my cutter it does a clean job.

44magLeo
02-02-2016, 12:01 PM
One thing with doing pan lubing, you can experiment with different lubes without the hassle of cleaning out the lube in your lube/sizer. Pan lube 20 or so, load and test. Try another lube, test Once you find a lube you like then clean out the old lube and put in the new.
Leo

jlchucker
06-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Got one today. He makes those 4 mils over bullet dia (2 mils slack around the bullet)

very well made, solid, perfect fit. Thanks buckshot.

I bought a ccouple of Cake Cutters from Buckshot back in 2012. You've right, they are very well made, solid, and a perfect fit. However, lately I've seen some comments indicating that Buckshot is out of business these days. You have posted that you received yours this year (2016). Is Buckshot still doing Cake Cutters, that you are aware of?

ammohead
06-02-2016, 10:10 PM
He may have some in stock, but I believe he is not making new ones. I can make them for you without the knurling. A knurling tool is on the want list but as yet I don't have one.
PM me with your needs and sizes.

smoked turkey
06-03-2016, 08:31 AM
I am privileged to have quite a few of Buckshot's cake-cutters for my muzzleloaders. They are works of art to my eye. It is sad that he has chosen to slow things down a bit. I fully understand that as I have also retired from my normal work. Finding new dentists, dermatologists, machinists, etc. is not fun but they are out there. Buckshot I hope you continue to post here as your comments are always golden. I wish for you time of contentment and rest just doing what you dang well want to do.