PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever come across the aftermarket sights like that

Tokarev
07-11-2012, 01:34 PM
The picture is of the French 1892 revolver by St Etienne Arsenal in 8x27mm rimmed.
Does anybody know if a similar set of sights is available for Ruger Redhawk?

http://candrsenal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/00-POV.gif

Matthew 25
07-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I like that, too. Looks like my '92.

x101airborne
07-11-2012, 05:54 PM
I have never seen that on a handgun. I would love to try them out.

big dale
07-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Back in the late 80's Ruger sold a shallow v rear notch sight with a gold bead front for the Redhawk. I found they were great on both my 41 and 44 for bowling pin matches.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Fishman
07-11-2012, 10:58 PM
+1 Bigdale. I had a gp100 with those sights on it and I really liked them. Unfortunately I gave it to my brother-in-law and he never shoots it. I don't know if the sights are still available.

Bret4207
07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
I own a Colt Officers Model Target with sights like that. IIRC they were referred to as "Call" sights, named after a Mr. Call I presume. FWIW, they have their pluses and minuses. They aren't as easy to shoot on targets as the more common Patridge square sights. The gold bead front sight does work better in the woods. The rear sight on mine isn't quite as wide as needed, for me at least. They aren't bad at all, but they do take some getting used to.

ETA- They may have been called "Paine" sights. The memory gets fuzzy through the years.

Wolfer
07-12-2012, 07:35 PM
On my Webley 45 I filed the front sight flat on top until it was right at the bottom of the notch. Then I soldered a piece of brass brazing rod to it and dressed off everything but the round back. Looks just like yours, possibly my favorite sight.

Char-Gar
07-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I have a 1948 Colt Officers Model (38 Special) with a U notch rear and a bead front. The front bead is blued steel as is the rear.

the Pre-War Smith and Wesson 357 revolvers were offered with both the Call bead and the Sheard bead front sights. These were factory options. I don't recall if they were offered after the war. At any rate, the used a square notch rear sight. The Call bead was shorter and the Sheard bead was longer. I owned such a handgun for a few years with the Call bead, but never developed a fondness for it. I would have been happier with a U notch rear.

At one times, King and some others offered U notch rear and bead front sights on sixguns as custom work. There are probably some gunsmiths who can do this work.

I have a Gary Reeder custom Ruger BH with a gold bead front and a v notch rear. These sights are very fast and good for field work, but on a target are not quite as accurate as the standard patridge sights.

Back in the early 60's, I filed the rear sight into a U and installed an ivory shotgun bead on a 1911 pistol. Very fast and and shot as well as I could. I also owned about that time a Colt 1917 sixgun that some previous owner had chopped the barrel to 3 inches and installed a rifle front ramp with a white bead.

All in all, U notch rear and bead front sights on sixguns have a lot going for them for field use. On targets, not so much, but they do as good as most folks want and need.

Some years back Doc O'Meara did an article on a set of these sights he had made for a sixgun. He liked them a lot. A Colt Python IIRC. I asked Doc where he got them and he said his gunsmith made them and any good gunsmith could do the same. I expect they can, for a price.

bearcove
07-15-2012, 06:13 PM
I have that on my FA 83. I like it for field use also, but would go with a square notch for a paper punching gun