PDA

View Full Version : Duke's Mayo Price Check

Farmall
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I see many references to Dukes mayo made here. In Nebraska, this stuff was unobtainable until a small grocery store that caters to the gourmet crowd picked it up.

I wanted to try some, but noticed it is almost 50% higher than Hellmans, which is the brand we prefer. A standard jar (forget the size...the medium one!) is like $11 here.

Is this stuff worth it?

Carolina Cast Bullets
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Something wrong with Hellmans's?

shaggist
07-11-2012, 11:49 AM
The 48 oz. jar costs about $4.00 here in NC. The mayo is made by C.F.Sauer Co. in Richmond, VA. Your local store is pricing it too high, in my opinion, but I don't know what the shipping costs would be or from where it is shipped to your area. Move to NC and buy it at a decent price.
Hellman's tastes like a salad dressing compared to Duke's.

frankenfab
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Holy Cow!!! That is high.

I switched from Hellman's to Blue Plate after someone here recommended it. I haven't seen Duke's around here, but if it is affordable, I will give it a try.

runfiverun
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
it's mayo.
vegetable oil and an egg whipped together.
some company's add a little vinegar to give it a bite.

Fishman
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Duke's can be bought here in TX at HEB and can be as affordable as Hellman's. I bought it with an in-store coupon and we liked it so much we continued buying it. That said, my wife bought a bunch of Hellman's at Wal-mart for a party so now I am stuck with it for a while. I like Hellman's ok too, so it's not a huge deal. I'm not a big mayo eater so if it's a little more expensive I don't really care since I eat so little of it.

WARD O
07-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Duke’s is not carried in MN

http://www.dukesmayo.com/store-finder.asp

you can order online though – a 2 pack of 32 oz are $16.00.

ward

L Ross
07-11-2012, 04:54 PM
I found Duke's at one of those close out liquidator stores called Crazy Frank's near where I live. They had both mayo and the salad dressing version. I'm a Miracle Whip guy for sandwich spread but some things just need mayo. Well I bought some of each just because of my nick name and because they had it for less than A BUCK A JAR! Well after we tried it and liked it we have never seen it again of course. I'd buy it in a mnute again, if it was the same price as Hellman's or Miracle Whip.

Duke

mongo
07-12-2012, 12:15 AM
When we have our annual family reunion in SC all they have is Dukes. I like the Hellmans olive oil Mayo better. Nothin goes better with a big ole ham and swiss. I cant tell the difference in the salads.

OBIII
07-12-2012, 09:03 PM
They ship! Shipping included in the cart price. Mostly available in the East. The website has a store locator. Enjoy.

http://www.dukesmayo.com/our-products.asp

OBIII
07-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Something wrong with Hellmans's?

Not a thing Jerry, I like Hellmann's myself. My wife prefers Miracle Whip. He just has a hankering for Duke, and has to go through a whole lot of Hell(manns) to get there. :)

Farmall
07-13-2012, 08:12 AM
About the only brands here are Hellmans, Kraft and various store brands. Hellmans has been my hands down favorite.

Grew up in a household where mom and dad did not differentiate between Miracle Whip or mayo, and I have a definite preference for mayo. Can't believe how many people who tell me that they can't tell the difference.

bruce drake
07-13-2012, 08:55 AM
There is a huge difference between the two in my opinion. Miracle Whip has an after-taste to me while Mayo doesn't (also homemade Mayo is best!)

Bruce

pipehand
07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm from up north, so I grew up with Hellmans and prefer it. Wife prefers Dukes, so we keep both brands in the fridge. Does anyone know why Hellmans is "Best Foods" branded west of the Rockies?

Dukes isn't near that expensive around here, but there are some stores that don't stock much Hellman's. Regional differences can be weird. Couldn't get Texas Pete Hot sauce in Texas- its made in North Carolina!

mongo
07-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm from up north, so I grew up with Hellmans and prefer it. Wife prefers Dukes, so we keep both brands in the fridge. Does anyone know why Hellmans is "Best Foods" branded west of the Rockies?

Dukes isn't near that expensive around here, but there are some stores that don't stock much Hellman's. Regional differences can be weird. Couldn't get Texas Pete Hot sauce in Texas- its made in North Carolina!

Thats like gettin your salsa from NEW YORK, lol

mold maker
07-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I was raised with only Dukes in the fridg. I've kept it that way in my home to. Haven't tasted any reason to change.
Nothing makes a home grown mater samich, like DUKES.

shaggist
07-19-2012, 08:59 PM
I am pleased and encouraged to see that there are a few gentlemen of taste here and a few others on the fence trying to cross over. Duke's is something of an acquired taste, rather like Scotch whiskey, that, if you were deprived of it as a child, it takes a while to get the myriad imitators out of the taste buds in your mouth. Once that has been accomplished, you are a convert and will be 'hooked' for life. Nothing is as good as Duke's-all the rest are poor imitations and not deserving of the name Mayonnaise.

nanuk
10-27-2012, 04:33 AM
I use Mayo on my French Fries

Yummy!