PDA

View Full Version : Mold for 45 ACP/COLT

45conv
07-11-2012, 12:40 AM
I'm new here and just trying to get started in casting boolits. I've read some old threads that had information close to what I'm looking for but I'll add a little bit of a twist so please don't get upset if this is repeated information.

I'd like to cast for a Ruger Flattop Bearhawk in 45 ACP/Colt. I'm collecting brass for both, but my ACP collection is much larger so that is what I will start with, but eventually I would hope to mostly be shooting the Colt because that just seems like what your supposed to be shooting from a single action revolver. As I said I'm just starting so I want to keep the cost low until I know I'm going to like this as much as I think I will. From reading other threads I can see that if this hobby takes off I'll likely get additional molds specifically for each round, but I need to start with one. With all that said this is what I'm looking for:

For my first mold I want the best ACP bullet that will also work well in the Colt. My use for the ACP will be mainly target/plinking, and I would like it to be 1911 compatible because a 1911 is on my list of future guns. Accuracy is more important than heavy hitting/stopping power. If I need a heavy hitter it will come with a dedicated Colt mold if I get that far.
I'm mostly interested in the Lee molds because of their reasonable cost, and they seem to get good reviews, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

WHITETAIL
07-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Welcome to the forum!
And ask away,because these fokes
are great here.:cbpour:

runfiverun
07-11-2012, 02:00 AM
225 rnfp.
use the roll crimp for the colt and lightly taper the acp.
you'll need a titch more powder in the colt case to make the velocity's the same so the sights stay the same.
something like 6 grs of unique in the acp case and 7.5 in the colt case should be about right.
i doubt you'll really be able to tell the two loads apart.

MikeS
07-11-2012, 02:44 AM
I would say that you should probably look for a Lyman 452423, it's a SWC designed originally for the 45 AutoRim which is basically the 45ACP with a rim. They might function thru a 1911, or they might not, depending on the individual pistol.

StrawHat
07-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Here is a similar thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=158913

And a great article about 452423

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

Wayne Smith
07-11-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm taking a slightly different tack, given that I have almost given up on production molds. I have the Mia 200gr (HP/FP) and am shooting that out of both my ACP and my Schofield with great accuracy and satisfaction. I have the NOE 230gr on order and expect much the same results. My philosophy now is buy once, pay for quality, and be happy.

Yes, I have a number of Lee molds, older Lyman molds, and one RCBS mold.

45-70 Chevroner
07-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I really like the Lee TL 452-230-2R, it is a great plinking boolit. I use it for the cowboy shoots and it shoots great at the short distances we shoot at, 21 feet for pistol and about 40 yards for the lever action pistol cartaridge. I'm not sure about shooting it much farther than 50 yards as I have never check what kind of grouping it does on paper. I would not be a bit surprised if it failed badly as a target boolit.

Moonie
07-11-2012, 01:03 PM
I like the Lee 230gr TC, it feeds in everything I've tried it in, including several 1911's.

Larry Gibson
07-11-2012, 02:41 PM
.........I'd like to cast for a Ruger Flattop Bearhawk in 45 ACP/Colt. ............. As I said I'm just starting so I want to keep the cost low until I know I'm going to like this as much as I think I will. ............ With all that said this is what I'm looking for:

For my first mold I want the best ACP bullet that will also work well in the Colt. My use for the ACP will be mainly target/plinking, and I would like it to be 1911 compatible because a 1911 is on my list of future guns. Accuracy is more important than heavy hitting/stopping power. If I need a heavy hitter it will come with a dedicated Colt mold if I get that far.
I'm mostly interested in the Lee molds because of their reasonable cost, and they seem to get good reviews, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

I have a SAA 45 Colt/ACP, another 45 Colt revolver, a M1917 45 ACP revolver, 3 M1911s, Contender barrels in 45 Colt and 45 ACP, A M98 Mauser in 45 ACP, A Rossi M92 45 Colt and a Uberti M73 in 45 Colt. I have numerous moulds for each and some that work best in one or the other. That said my most often used in both the 45 ACP and the 45 Colt is the Lee 452-190-SWC. I use this in both for the following reasons;

Lee 6 cavity mould means a lot of quality bullets can be cast fast.

With my range lead alloy they drop at .452 - .453 which is perfect for the .452 sizing I use fo the 45 ACP. This also works very well in the 45 Colts.

With a better alloy the bullets drop at .454 which is the best for the .45 Colts.

The 190 - 195 gr bulletsmean a lot more bullets for the amount of alloy as with heavier bullets. The lighter weight bullets do every thing I want them to do for accuracy and general use.

The Lee 190s shoot well with CBA loads in both cartridges (600 - 750 fps) and are very accurate at my top end loads (900-940 fps out of the revolvers and 1150 - 1200 fps out of the rifles).

I use Bullseye powder because it gives very consistent ignition in both cartridges, even at the low end CBA velocities. I use less of it than with other powders so I get more loads per lb. It always has given excellent accuracy with such loads.

I've probably 700+ 45 Colts loaded with that bullet right now and probably 5000+ 45 ACPs if that says anything on how much I like/use that bullet.

BTW; I use BAC or Javelina lube on those Lee bullets.

Larry Gibson

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
I like the lee truncated cone it feeds well for me in autos , should do fine in a revolver

spend the extra money on the 6 cavity lee mold you will want the added capacity to make a bunch at once

L Ross
07-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I use this one a lot in revolvers and autos.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q13/Walnuthill/DSC_0387.jpg

Duke

45conv
07-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. This is just what I need. It looks like the 225/230 grain is a popular choice which is what I was kind of expecting, but I'm intrigued by 190 grain recommendation as well. Any one else prefer the lighter boolits? Any down side to these?
It looks like a round nose flat point is by far the favorite.
Once I get a weight defined my next question is about the groves. I've read a lot about lube groves, big groves, too small of groves, groves in the right position for the ACP, but not right for the colt (or visa versa). Is the grove design really that critical or am I making this harder than it is?

Thanks

paul h
07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd recomend the lee the 200 gr tl swc to start with. I haven't fired it out of a 45 colt revolver, but out of my Ruger P90 it will put them in one ragged hole at 10 paces. I have no doubt it will be just as good out of a revolver. Then again lees 200rf is a nice looking design and one I've been meaning to try. Get the six cavity mold and handles, cast up several hundred, visually inspect to cull defects and tumble lube them with lee tumble lube. I've loaded them over both Bullseye and Unique, both are accurate.

As to lube groove designs, I've shot cast bullets with large deep single lubes, shallow narrow grooves and those in between.

While not 45 bullets, here is a selection of bullets I've cast and all of them are capable of outstanding accuracy. I'm not convinced that the design of the lube groove has a significant affect on accuracy, if any at all.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/744100033_3339F6808143EE14AD3755B7E8638787.JPG

x101airborne
07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Well, in my humble opinion....
I would contact NOE or Miha for a mold and stay away from Lee molds.
The lee's have a terrible reputation and I have had a couple that were either undersized or out of round. I have only had a couple out of maybe 20 that were correct. And I know a custom mold is expensive and I dont discount that fact. BUT... When you get something that works as it should the first time, I consider it a worthwhile investment.
Miha has an Awesome 230 RF that comes in a hollow point option. I have used it out of the ACP, auto rim, and colt. It does work and work well out of my 4 different weapons. I can tell you that it will fold a medium to small hog with ONE shot even if it is not all that well placed. If you would like to try some 220 grain penta hollow points, I will gladly send you some for free. I will even pay shipping. I am sure that NOE makes a comprable mold, but I just havent had one to try.

harvester
07-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I think the Lee 6 cavity molds are fine for handgun ranges and work well for me. In 45 I have the 255,230,300, and 340 grain molds. The 340 is for a 45-70 but I re size it to .452 and it works fine, especially in a single shot rifle.

MT Gianni
07-11-2012, 11:21 PM
I use the acp & 45 LC for different purposes. If I wanted to use the same bullet out of each I would go with the Lyman 452460 as I think it is the best for 45acp @ 200 grains. It could shoot out of the 45 Colt cylinder assuming that the throats are the same diameter. You may need to size to different diameters. I load the acp to shoot in my Kinber and shoot them as well inthe Ruger. I load 45 Colt for the Blackhawk only and shoot 250-300 gr boolits in it. Two purposes in one gun. Using one bullet would defeat that so I would start with a 200 gr acp and then get the heavier Colt boolit..

Farmall
07-11-2012, 11:41 PM
I use the Lee 200gn RNFP mold for my 45ACP, and a friend uses the same bullets in his 45 Blackhawk. Great plinking bullet, and hits hard with that big flat on the end.

runfiverun
07-12-2012, 01:09 AM
something similar to the one on the left in pauls picture is what i prefer.
a little more base band and i'd be happy. [speaking of the lube groove]
the 200 swc's do work well and i have gone as low as 160 grs in both 45's with good short range results.
i keep a few 160 rnfp's [loaded over 5 grs of clays] in my pocket when i am deer hunting [i use them to head shoot grouse in the lever gun]
same load i use if i happen to go to a cowboy shoot for some odd reason.
the 225 rnfp's make for a good all around do most everything 45 boolit.