PDA

View Full Version : NRA Life Membership at Discount?

UnderDawgAl
07-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Rumors abound that an NRA Life Member can sponsor someone else to get a life membership for $300. Does anyone know the validity of that? If so, how does it work? I'm a member whose renewal time is in a few months. I would much prefer to get the life membership if I can make it economically viable, which $300 is.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Of the umpteen letters the NRA sends me every year,
once in a while they send out a deal on discounted life memberships.
I'm not sure I've ever seen $300 though.

check out their website.
Jon

waksupi
07-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Contact them, tell them you want to set up a payment plan for a life membership. I've never heard of the sponsoring thing. Do some haggling on the price. If you can afford $300, tell them that is what you will give, and see what happens.

gandydancer
07-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Contact them, tell them you want to set up a payment plan for a life membership. I've never heard of the sponsoring thing. Do some haggling on the price. If you can afford $300, tell them that is what you will give, and see what happens.
and then let us know what happens.

Bad Water Bill
07-11-2012, 03:09 AM
IIRC a few years back they had an offer where you could get a family member a life membership for what you paid for yours.

dpaultx
07-11-2012, 04:08 AM
I've gotten letters pertaining to the $300 Life membership from NRA on several occasions in the past, but not recently. This offer seems to pop up every three or four years, or maybe they just rotate the offer to different sections of their mailing list on that basis.

The $300 deal is called a "Legacy" membership and is intended to be applied only to the immediate family members, such as the son (daughter) or grandson (granddaughter), of an existing Life member.

NRA has had a "payment plan" for their Life membership for at least the last 30 years that I'm aware of. Thats how I bought mine back in the 70's.

I believe the "pay-out" plan today is, your choice of;

$25 a quarter for 10 years ($25 * 4 = $100/year * 10years = $1,000), or

$25 a month for 3.3 years ($25 * 40 months = $1,000).

Those aged 65 and over (or a Disabled Veteran of any age) qualify for the Distinguished Life Membership which is a total cost of $375 payable in either 15 quarterly or monthly payments of $25 each.

Full info here (https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp).

Doug

Oreo
07-11-2012, 05:09 AM
I personally got about 30 people signed up for $300 life memberships over on M4Carbine.net about 6 months ago. The deal is real and they still run it from time to time.

Whether or not its meant for immediate family seems to depend on who answers the phone at the NRA call center. I told people that if they didn't get a cooperative person on the first call to hang up and try again. Most got the deal on the first call. Some had to call again, and a few had to call multiple times. All did get the deal though.

Send me a pm & I'll send you the old coupon code. Maybe they'll still honor it.

sharps4590
07-11-2012, 06:24 AM
$300.00 was the cost of Life Membership when I converted! I had just joined for 3 years and I got a letter from the saying I could apply that 3 year memberhsip toward Life. Now I'm a Benefactor member.

DCP
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
I just did this 2 days ago
You need to be signed up by a life member
It must be done online

See this

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?268609-NRA-life-membership-300

pm for details.

375RUGER
07-11-2012, 08:57 AM
$300 would be a good deal. Hmmm i paid $150 bout 30 years ago

Reg
07-11-2012, 09:34 AM
They do have a heck of a deal for Benefactor membership going right now but I think you have to a Life member to get it. Call them, ask, the most you can be told is no and if you are like me, you hear that all the time !!

alamogunr
07-11-2012, 09:51 AM
At my age even $300 might not be economically feasible. I sign up for 5 years at a time. I have considered paying for life memberships for my 2 sons. If I got a good deal on two, I could pay for both and not bother with the extended pay option. Also, with the election coming up maybe they could use the $$.

Alternatively, we have a little brouhaha here in TN with the Republicans turning out to be anti-2nd amendment in favor of big business. I may donate to Tennessee Firearms Asso. instead. Also the NRA has weighed in with big $$ in support of the opponent to the Republican incumbent in the primary election.

I guess it boils down to which has the greatest cumulative benefit to both me and the recipient of the funds.