PDA

View Full Version : What I really find funny

Fly
07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
What I really find funny is gun auctions.I was looking for a .36 cap
& ball pistol.I did bid on one & it went for $185, not a bad deal.

But most I found went as high or higher than new.I bought a
new remey .36 for $230 from Cabelas.Go figure?

Fly:violin:

Boerrancher
07-10-2012, 06:47 PM
It would seem that at auctions guns and arrowheads bring a premium price. I don't do auctions for that reason.

Best wishes,

Joe

AR-15 Cowboy
07-11-2012, 01:31 AM
The problem with a lot of people is that they don't shop around. They buy on an impulse. Then later they find out it wasn't such a good deal.

Plinkster
07-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Auctions are an interesting thing altogether. Ever see the experiment where people bid on a $20 bill? The twist is that the the second highest bidder has to pay their bid as well, iirc the bill gets sold for around $40. The impulse and drive to "win" is not always a good thing. That being said deals can be had if you take your time and know the market. I have managed good deals on the 3 firearms that I've purchased through an auction site. However I've come very close to making big mistakes as well.

sharps4590
07-11-2012, 06:41 AM
That is the nature of auctions. When we sold out on the farm and had our auction 6 foot T-posts sold for more than you could go to the MFA and buy new. I asked the aucitoneer if he thought he could do it again I would go to town and buy 1000 posts. As Plinkster said, one better know the market.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-11-2012, 05:39 PM
guys get into that "I gotta have it, you can't outbid me..." mentality and will bid upwards of twice the retail price for a new one. You should go to a muscle car auction sometime.

Rich

Fly
07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
guys get into that "I gotta have it, you can't outbid me..." mentality and will bid upwards of twice the retail price for a new one. You should go to a muscle car auction sometime.

Rich

Yea your right.I'm a ole hot rodder & watch those auctions on TV.I always
put what they pay, as to some rich guy that always wanted that hemi cuda
& now had the bucks to buy it.

Fly:drinks:

missionary5155
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Greetings
Then there are a few sleepers that slide through with little notice and can get snagged for a good deal. My latest was a 375 Win Marlin (pre safety) for $370 shipped. If your willing to be patient you can see the results.
Mike in ILL.

John Taylor
07-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Was at an auction once that had several Ruger 10-22s that had been polish so the aluminum receiver and butt plate was shinny. Auctioneer said they looked like silver and the price went up to more than double what a new gun sells for.

Fly
07-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Was at an auction once that had several Ruger 10-22s that had been polish so the aluminum receiver and butt plate was shinny. Auctioneer said they looked like silver and the price went up to more than double what a new gun sells for.

Fools rush in, where wise men never go.Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly:holysheep

Boerrancher
07-14-2012, 07:59 AM
The last gun auction I went to, the first gun up was a Marlin 22LR auto loader. It looked like it had been dragged behind the owners pickup all the way to the auction. The sights were gone, the stock looked like it had been worked over by an angry beaver. When it sold for $150, I got up and left. There were several nice guns coming up and if junk was going to go for more than you could buy it new, there was not a snowball's chance I was going to even get close on the good guns.

Best wishes,

Joe

Plate plinker
07-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Thought I was the only one to give up on local auctions. However, i do like going to estate sales and cleaning up on accessories.