PDA

View Full Version : Herters Belgian Blue

Reg
07-10-2012, 03:19 PM
I asked the question in another thread but thought I would ask again.
Does anyone have any idea what might constitute Herters Belgian Blue. Any idea what is in it and how to make it. Herters has been gone for a long time now so it shouldn't be anything protected.
Still have a bottle left but would like to make more. It takes a bit of patience to use but will make a very good looking, durable blue and all one needs is a hot rolled tank to use it in.

:coffee:

oldred
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I too asked a question about bluing in another thread so I don't have any tech info but in my recent search for bluing solutions I learned the Herters Belgian blue is still available as Art's Belgian blue, supposedly the old Herters formula.

seagiant
07-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi,
Check out Brownell's,if you like tinkering with guns their catalog is a must!

Reg
07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Have bought from Brownells since 1966, a good place but what I am saying is I want to make it myself. It cannot be that hard to do. There are many formulas out there and I have played with a few along the way. Herters did have a good formula and yes, Arts is close but I don't think exactly the way Herters had it made up. There is ( was ) a difference.

2152hq
07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Herter's Belgian Blue used a mercury compound (mercury bi-chloride?).,,one reason it worked so well!
Brownells sells what they say is the original formula. I used to use Herters for many years. Then got away from it becasue of the mercury.
I tried some of the Brownells stuff. It seems to still have the mercury in it (flash plates shiny silvery metal onto warm brass or copper).
Kind of surprised me actually considering the whole thing about mercury and all.
Anyway, there it is as I know it.
Personally,,I'd stay away from it. Merc poisoning is bad stuff. How well I know.