PDA

View Full Version : Ideal/Marlin No. 3, 30US

Char-Gar
07-10-2012, 11:29 AM
I recently picked up an Ideal No. 3 tong tool in 30US (30-40) that was made during the period when Ideal was owned by Marlin (1910 - 1916). It has a bullet sizing chamber on the tool and bullets sized with it measure .312. The sizing chamber is .316 with an abrupt step to .312. I don't think I would like to use it because of the sharp step that shaves lead like the old Lyman dies for the 45.

Just thought I would post this for historical reference in case anybody was interested.

Bent Ramrod
07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Char-Gar,

If it's a separate chamber like the 310 has, it has to be better than that hole in the handle with the stake on the other handle, which was the standard sizing equipment in those days. You could make instant hollow bases, off-center shanks and even banana-shaped boolits with that device.

A little judicious work on a lathe with a polishing stick and some 220-600 grit wet-or-dry paper can remove that "step" and turn it into a taper. I've salvaged many older Ideal No. 45 dies in this manner.

Char-Gar
07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
It is the hole in the handle. I have no plans to modify the century old tool as I have a full range of modern sizing dies I can use. I will load ammo with it, but not size bullets.

Ben
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
It is the hole in the handle. I have no plans to modify the century old tool as I have a full range of modern sizing dies I can use. I will load ammo with it, but not size bullets.

That is a very wise decision.