PDA

View Full Version : How Not to Build a Wooden Ingot Mold (with pics!)

Danderdude
07-10-2012, 12:35 AM
It stopped raining enough this afternoon to try firing up my smelting rig to turn a bunch of soft lead sheeting into ingots. The last run I made ended up ruining my cruddy aluminum muffin pans, so I decided to try my hand at making a pair of wooden ingot molds.

Last week I grabbed 4 scrap 2x6 cutoffs I had laying around, one pair 18" long, the other 24". One would be left whole and serve as the bottom of the mold, while I sawed up the other with a circular saw set at 30 degrees. Everything cut easily and fit back together as well as could be hoped. Wood glue was applied to all the wood-on-wood contact surfaces, holes were drilled and screws were screwed. There was nary a crack or seam that water could leak from, much less lead, or so I thought. Even so, I only estimated a 1 in 3 chance of working.
One set was designed to make small pyramids, while the other was to make long sticks.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I lit my propane-fired smelter, which still works so darned well I can't believe I built it myself, much less from scrap and junk, and had around 80lbs of molten lead ready to pour in 10 minutes. The ingot molds held up! They worked! The slow smoldering of the pine and sap bubbled up through the slowly cooling ingots and bathed me in satisfaction. I topped the pot off, dumped the first set and poured the second.

The first thing you'll realize is that lead doesn't just take a lot longer to cool in a wooden mold... it takes a WHOLE LOT longer. In my impatience, I picked up the stick-style mold and slammed it on the ground. I was met with a beautiful splattering of lead coating the bermudagrass, as the still-molten cores of the ingots blew out the sides. Then the remainder just didn't want to drop out. It took slamming the mold onto concrete to release the hollow husks, and it was quickly evident why: the thin parts of the wood, where two pieces meet, char back much faster than the bulky parts.

And here are the molds after three pours each.

http://i.imgur.com/Wi4YG.jpg

As the moisture cooks out of the wood, the pieces shrink, and substantially. If it tries to shrink around a screw shank, it just splits.

http://i.imgur.com/0l15k.jpg

As the wood shrinks, the thin edges allow molten lead to flow under and around them, burning them faster than the rest and recreating an hourglass shape rather than a nice, easy to release ingot.

http://i.imgur.com/XoNu8.jpg

In the end I had to revert to using my lone Lee ingot mold and a bucket of water to quickly cool it.

The pyramidal ingots came out to 3.5-4lbs a piece, and the sticks weigh out at 4lbs.

Moral of the story: Wood might make a decent ingot mold, and certainly a cheap one, but this isn't how you do it.

http://i.imgur.com/OJp5T.jpg

DeanWinchester
07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I've made a mold or two out of wood. It has to be seriously dry and a fairly hard wood to work. Otherwise, you'll boil the sap or pressure treating chemicals out of it. Pop, sizzle and the works.

Try some bodock that's been on the ground a while. It'll hold up for a little while.

Bored1
07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Wonder if cutting the shapes out of a solid piece of scrap would work better? Like chiseling out a round hole in a piece of firewood.

wv109323
07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Don't ever get the idea of building a wood stove using the same principles.

turtlezx
07-11-2012, 08:07 PM
OH great there goes my idea to whittle a barrel out of wood !!!

thanx for ruining for me :cbpour:

1Shirt
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Effective I guess, but about as ugly as some blind dates!
1Shirt!

Danderdude
07-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Effective I guess, but about as ugly as some blind dates!
1Shirt!

I'm not a carpenter, I just play one on TV.

Wonder if cutting the shapes out of a solid piece of scrap would work better? Like chiseling out a round hole in a piece of firewood.

If the wood was baked dry first, I bet it would, and cheaply. Just don't get any allusions about joining wood without perfectly tight fitting dovetails and having it hold lead.

BK7saum
07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Never thought of making a wooden ingot mold. Guess it would've been cheaper in the short term than buying cast iron ingot molds.

guidogoose
07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Danderdude,

That took some courage to post those pics and share that story I'm sure of it. Now to possibly solve your problem. What is your smelting setup and where are you doing it? Are you casting ingots for yourself or resale? If for yourself, which I assume they are, why not just pour the lead on a concrete slab or block? I always cool my ingots on the concrete floor in the garage. Have not cracked the concrete yet...You could also pour lead into a sand mold. Many metals that melt much hotter than lead, cast iron comes to mind, have been cast in sand for centuries. Or you could just buy more ingot molds....

Silver Hand
07-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Used baking tins for cupcakes and biscuits are a cheep alternative and work well, for a wile. They make a nice ingot. A bit larger than the Lyman Moulds I use. As a carpenter of over forty years I do not think A wooden ingot mould would have any long term use no matter how it was made. I see you used the end grain to your advantage Now you have me thinking.
I might learn something here.

Chicken Thief
07-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Main problem is heat dissipation, ie cooling the lead as fast as possible.
Wood stink at that and have to burn while the ingot aircools from just the top surface.
A router in an end-piece of hardwood might make an useable void for short term use, but.
A few bucks at a yardsale, might be better use of your time and energy.

flagman1776
08-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I had some brick sized molds for my Master Caster... made by cutting a channel iron on an an angle & welding on a plate to close the ends (hint: leave the plates long to grasp & to knock the lead free.) Welds were on the outside & worked fine.
The same could be scaled down or even made out of angle iron. I can't imagine they be expensive.

clodhopper
08-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Yup I tried that, and about three ingots was all a wood mould is good for.
So I bought a 20' stick of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 angle, did some cutting. went to a welding shop to stick them together (that cost 20 bucks) couple thousand lbs of ingots later they stilll work fine.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-10-2012, 04:14 PM
250 years ago that is what most rifle builders did. I wanted the authentic look for rifle frolics, so I made a few. 1/2" wide and deep and six inches long. After the first fiasco, I got "creative (cheating has such a negative connotation) and sprayed the cavities with hi-temp engine paint.

just a thought...

Rich
Sua Sponte

captaint
08-11-2012, 09:53 AM
WOW, I don't know how to respond. I actually thought about drilling holes in hardwood for making "slugging boolits". Guess I'd have to drill em undersize to allow for burnout ?? HA ! Aren't creative people great ?? enjoy Mike

flagman1776
08-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I never had to paint the channel iron molds. They've been in dry storage for 25 years now & are still pefect. The point is the molds need taper... draft... so the slugs can be dropped free. Angle iron would be perfect for a riflemans pouch.
If I was going to mess with wood... I'd use hardwood and a V cutter in a router. Not too deep. The slugs would drop right out. The wood might make good tinder after a couple of uses...

jethunter
09-02-2012, 05:22 PM
3 used muffin tins were $6 at the local second hand shop. They don't catch on fire.

crabo
09-02-2012, 05:50 PM
I welded 5 pieces of 1 1/2 angle together to make a gang mold. 8" long gives me a 3 pound ingot. I grab the end, slap them on the concrete to empty, then let them cool. I pick them up with a square bottomed shovel so it doesn't work my back so much.

The ingots stack nicely.

drinks
09-02-2012, 09:18 PM
All this instead of just buying some cast iron cornbread stick molds at a garage sale.

slim1836
09-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I used a router to cut 1/2"x1/2" channels into wood about 5" long to simulate what a buckskinner may have carried with him into the wilderness. Took my hatchet and scored a couple of lines across to devide it into thirds. Sold them at voos for a buck apiece.

Slim

500MAG
09-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Did you think to try plastic? LOL