PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with gas checks of .014 flashing

milprileb
07-09-2012, 06:18 PM
I have not sorted out how to post pictures so if you are interested in seeing a 4.152 inch group, Please Email me . I shot yesterday at 300 yds, M1 rifle, iron sights, 170 grain Lee bullet, 42 gr IMR 4895, CCI 34 primer. Lube was White Label 2500. Gas check was made with .014 flashing material of aluminum. Alloy was 20% Lino to 80% WW with 2% tin added. Bullets water cooled. Bullets dropped out of mold at .3095 and I shot them unsized as my bore is .3085. I have zero leading in my bore and the 2500 lube seems to coat the bore and keep powder fouling from getting too hard to take out with a few patches and solvent.

Shots fired off a Lead Sled.

So homemade gas checks do work and whichever tool you use, I think they are a good investment IF you shoot a lot. I shoot 500 rds of rifle monthly so my gas check tool will pay for itself inside a year easily .

Any concerns about accuracy out to 300 yds for me at least were put to rest. Is flashing the best material? Until I find something better, I will use this stuff.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
king!

DukeInFlorida
07-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Aluminum flashing is cheap, plentiful, and effective.

If you want to do some experimenting, you could get yourself some copper sheet (rolled) from one of the regular copper sheet dealers. It forms checks easier, but is a heck of a lot more expensive.

Don't forget to do some load development for your gun, with these boolits. You might actually find something between startin g loads and max loads that gives you even better accuracy!