PDA

View Full Version : Contender Misfires.

Uncle R.
04-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi All:
I dragged out the Contender with the 10" .357 barrel and shot in an IHMSA sillywet match yesterday. First time since last year - and I had several misfires that left a very light primer dimple. Most cartridges finally fired on the second or third try.
I've read about failures to fire with Contenders chambered in bottleneck cartridges when they don't lock completely due to headspace issues, but not with a .357 barrel. The cartridges chambered easily, the gun closed without resistance.
If this is a lock-up issue, would I be getting light primer dimples instead of none at all? Perhaps my 20-odd year old hammer spring is getting weak, or...?
Any Contender experts here?
Uncle R.

Harry O
04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Had the same problem when I got my first Contender -- and it was new. Took it back to the dealer. He sprayed the innards with WD40. Did not have that problem again. Evidently too much drag on the moving parts.

targetshootr
04-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Never shot one but I had a similar problem back when I was loading for 357. My Dillon 650 didn't always punch out the spent primer so I wound up sticking a new primer on top of the old one. At least that's what I think caused it.

Poygan
04-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm hardly an expert but I have an early Contender with an octagonal .357 bbl. Apparently it originally came with a .44 magnum bbl. Occasionally mine wouldn't even hit the firing pin but would appear to fall on a hammer block or something similar. Contacted Thompson and sent it into them. They replaced the hammer with a newer style but at my expense. Suspect your problem may be different but this is my experience.

44man
04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
The Contender has always been a PITA. I can't list the times I had to open the gun and slam it shut to get it to work. Not much fun on the line after a perfect hold and let off. Accept the fact that it was junk to start with. It is not a headspace problem, it is the internal parts that get out of whack when everything is not exactly to it's liking.

fourarmed
04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
The first thing I would suggest is that you call TC and buy a spring kit. The hammer spring could be weak, and the spring that retracts the firing pin block could be weak. If the hammer glances off the block as it falls, it takes most of the energy out of the hammer blow. Lubrication (or the lack thereof) can also slow down the fall of the block. Since this is the first time you've encountered this, it probably is not a problem with locking lug fit.

versifier
04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
A thorough cleaning - disassembly, degreasing, lube with TriFlow, and while you have it apart, replacing the spring wouldn't hurt either. Probably it's just some gunk clogging things up. If it was lubed with oil some time ago, it will pick up dust and dirt and sooner or later the accumulation will cause problems.

Uncle R.
05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys. It sounds like the first step is a full-bore cleaning and lubing session. I'll look for the hammer block (?) and see if it's hanging up. If that doesn't do it, she'll go back to T/C and I'll test out their lifetime warranty.
:-D
The Contender has been a safe queen for many years, but I'm finally doing a few sillywets again. It's a lot of fun, but my scores are pitiful. Those iron sights are pretty tough on my middle-aged eyes. Even the merit optical disc that I bought didn't help much on Sunday. Looks like it's time for a pistol scope. Ahhh - youth is wasted on the young! :roll:
Uncle R.

dakotashooter2
05-01-2007, 11:15 AM
He sprayed the innards with WD40

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Did you check your firing pin selector to make sure it is fully engaded in the center fire position? It may have collected some debris.

:castmine:

hivoltfl
05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
90% of Contender misfires are due to improper lockup, I have been there and done this before and my hair has not all grown back after pulling it out in frustration, I personally did it to myself, as usual, I had removed the trigger mechanism to adjust trigger pull and screwed the rear trigger guard screw in tight and made sure it was tight, guess what, that cuts down on clearance between the locking lug and the table it locks under, I backed it out a turn and a half and bingo problem solved, I cannot take credit for this as I got the info from Mike Bellm on his website, info is free and he has forgot more about Contenders than I will ever know, I think the site is bellmtcs.com not sure though. All the other advice given here is good stuff, if you need to go a step further go to Mikes site as he has a troubleshooting list to follow, good luck and let us know what you find.

Rick

Uncle R.
05-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I got the info from Mike Bellm on his website, info is free and he has forgot more about Contenders than I will ever know, I think the site is bellmtcs.com...
Rick

Rick:
Thanks! That's what I needed. I found his web site and there's a very good explanation of the relationships and interplay of the locking bolt, sear and hammer block. With that information I should be able to diagnose the problem.
Uncle R.

hivoltfl
05-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Your Welcome,

Rick

cbrick
05-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Here is a pretty good collection of Mike Bellm's articles.

http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesBellm.htm

I'd be willing to bet you'll find your answer and much more.

Rick

44man
05-02-2007, 08:06 AM
That is some of the best information on the Contender and over the years I have had to do most of those things to my guns, been there, done that.
What you have to realize is the sheer number of problems with Contenders that take pages of explanations. What other gun has so many problems?
I gave up long ago and sold all of mine. There are better single shots that have none of the problems that the TC has.
The TC is a money maker for a good smith. It is also one of the few guns that on the average, needs an after market barrel to get full accuracy.
Another thing I never liked is the kind of recoil they have with larger calibers. Of course a gun like the MOA can get unpleasant but at least they never have to be repaired.
I watched almost every single Contender shooter on the line having these problems. Sure makes a guy scramble to get off 5 shots when time is running out.

cbrick
05-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Here is everything a T/C wanted to be and more. IMHO this is the finest single shot handgun ever made.

http://www.eabco.com/bftour.html

Rick

44man
05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
I bought a highly touted Swift pistol scope from EABCO and blew it to pieces in 5 shots on my .475. I must have read two pages of praise for the scope and how tough it is. It was replaced and now resides on a Mark II pistol.
The TC is only good because everyone makes better stuff to fit the gun. It is a good design but workmanship from the factory sucks. A money maker for sure for all the after market people.
About anything from TC is a send it back item. They have a larger service department then the factory line.

Scrounger
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
They must have sold millions of barrels and frames in the last thirty-some years. I don't have but 12 or 15 myself but I sure do feel sorry for those thousands of other people, not to mention those fools who bought Freedom Arms...:kidding:

44man
05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
You will get a new Freedom story soon! It will make you quit shooting cast boolits.

cbrick
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
hhmmm . . . Guess I'll have to do a Freedom arms story that will make you throw all those silly looking brown bullets away and start buying up the moulds and FA's http://www.lasc.us/smiley4.gif.

Rick

Scrounger
05-02-2007, 10:58 PM
hhmmm . . . Guess I'll have to do a Freedom arms story that will make you throw all those silly looking brown bullets away and start buying up the moulds and FA's http://www.lasc.us/smiley4.gif.

Rickt
Rick, are you the "Rick" I rhink I know at LASC? If so, Say "Hello" to Jim Harris and the other guys there for me. Is Bill out of Gunsmith school yet? What a great bunch of guys.

44man
05-03-2007, 12:09 AM
My friend has a Contender that is wonderful and deadly accurate. He has not had a single problem with years of shooting. I have shot it many times and was hitting pop cans at 200 yd's from Creedmore.
All of mine, however had some sort of problems. I had to work on every one of them but one really got to me.
It was in 30-30 and was so accurate I could hit a nickle at 100 yd's, benched with a scope and a cast boolit. I still have the nickel, by the way. It would miss fire and also not cock the hammer. I worked on it and got it fixed. The worst part was that the barrel was so rough, accuracy would go away very fast. It would fill with copper or lead depending on my load. It would take hours to clean. I must have used 3 bottles of Sweets on that gun alone. Leading would be something to behold. They replaced the barrel for me and it was even rougher. 10 shots and there would be 5 bullets worth of copper in it. The third barrel was no better. I power lapped it but it was no help. I could feel the patch drag and catch all the way through. Blue patches for hours!
I had one of the original Hawkins and it would clover leaf round balls and maxi balls at 50 yd's all day. I sold it because it was the worst fitting gun I ever owned. The stock just didn't fit me.
My other friend bought one of the new ones with the easy start muzzle. It was pure luck to hit paper at 50 yd's. He sent it back and all they did was tighten the barrel key. Still could not hit paper. He called them 5 times and had to argue to get a new barrel, they just didn't want to change it. They finally changed it or so they say but it shoots as bad. I glass bedded it for him and didn't see a single change. I slugged the bore and it was on the money and nice and smooth. I checked the crown and it was fine. I can not find a single reason why it sprays shots. 10# of powder, every ball and patch combination and every boolit made, he is so disgusted he doesn't even shoot it any more.
I can go on for hours about some of the most fantastic TC's and some of the worst. It is one of those guns that you buy 10, find the good one and sell the rest.
How do you explain all the problems Mike Bellm lists on his site? I have seen all of them.

joeb33050
05-03-2007, 06:22 AM
I thought it was me. I had a Contender for ~20 years, had barrels in 32-20, 30/30 rifle and pistol, 7MM TCU, 6.5MM TCU and ?; all trying to find an accurate combination. Spent a lot of $$, never found accuracy. Did find failure to cock, failure to lock, failure to fire. Finally gave up and sold it. I thought it was me.
joe brennan

JSH
05-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Wow, and I thought maybe I was the only one that had problems with them.
I have several barrels and don't ever figure to have less than 2 or 3 frames around.
I have had a few barrels over the years that I could not get to group as I wanted. As to the roughness, have to agree on that. I shoot FLGC's through my 7-30. I cleaned it with Wipe Out as I thought that would help it. I was shocked to see what the inside of the bore looked like. Now it takes about 30-40 rounds to foul it before it will group, after I use WO.
My 30-30 barrel has seen several K of CB's of various types and speeds since I got into casting. I have to say that it is a darn good shooter. I cleaned it with WO to get the jacket fouling out and since CB' d have been it's only diet, all I use now is Kroil and JB's every once in a while.
I have one old BF and would like a newer one. I do hate to drop the coin on somthing that is relegated to rimmed type cartridges only though.
The MOA is a top notch gun. I find it knocking and skinning my knuckles when loading though. It also seems to be a bit to busy for me. Have to work fast to get my 5 off in 2:30.
Jeff

44man
05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
AH, yes, the MOA finger buster! Here is the original lever on the left and the replacement I bought. Both are very bad.
On the gun is one I hand cut from stainless and shaped so there is no more finger busting. I can shoot it all day now.

44man
05-03-2007, 07:49 AM
With the open lever you can glue a piece of rubber in the sweep behind the trigger guard to get your finger out from behind the metal.
This gun, in 7BR, has put 5 shots with the 175 gr Hornady into 3/8" at 100 yd's. It has shot 1" groups at 200 yd's, scoped and benched.
I have finally gotten it to shoot the 120 gr SSP bullet into 1/2" at 50 yd's for deer. I found Varget did the trick, velocity is high even though Hodgden told me it would not work.
Never tried cast yet and will someday.

JSH
05-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Use the open lever, that isn't what skinned me up. It was the loading of the thing. Caliber was 6.5BR, recoil wasn't an issue. I don't know why but my BF rarely if ever skins me up. If it does it is usually a piece of brass that slipped by inspection. I really suspect the MOA knuckle skinning was caused by improper sizing of cases? I had to push home the last 1/8-1/4" of the round to get it to close.

As to the TC not having a round chamber well, if it doesn't drop in, it gets dropped out and thrown into the shooting box for later examination as to what the problem is.
I got in on the GB for the Harris 155. It want's to shoot pretty good, but has caused chambering issues for a lot of different reasons. I am to the point of getting a push through sizer in .311 to do a finall sizing and see if that takes care of it. The RCBS 165 SIL boolit is a dandy. Wish they would do a GB on that. I suspect lee may not be able to hold tolerences to all 6 cavities on a bore rider?
Jeff

fourarmed
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
I guess I've been lucky. I've been shooting silhouette for over 20 years with contenders, and the only problems I've encountered could have been avoided by common sense and putting in new springs occasionally. The hammer spring is the critical one. It weakens with use, and can eventually break. It won't if you replace it every couple of years. Fortunately, it is easy to replace if you make a slave pin out of a 16 penny nail. I had a striker spring break once, and if you try to lighten the pull too much you can get problems. The .22 LR match chamber is tight, and slamming the barrel shut will release the striker if set too light. That can be avoided by simply holding the trigger forward with your finger while you shut it.

As far as accuracy goes, mine have been satisfactory and some were excellent. The MOA is a fine pistol, as are the BF, the XP-100, and the XL. They cost nearly twice what a Contender does, and are of very limited availability. They should be better.