PDA

View Full Version : Scratching my head , new scope

frkelly74
07-09-2012, 10:26 AM
I got a new to me Kassnar 2 to 7X variable scope to mount on a 22 that I have. It is a nice trim unit and has clear optics and I thought it was just right. So I mounted it and went out to sight in and found an odd thing about it. The elevation and windage dials look normal and are marked with an arrow that says up for elevation and R for windage just like normal. Only thing is that when you turn the elevation dial toward up the point of impact goes down and when you turn the windage toward the R the point of impact goes left. I am used to scopes that designate the direction of movement for point of impact on the dials, just like moving the rear sight. When I looked closer at the scope I saw an inscription that says " image movement " on it. So apparently the cross hairs don't move but the image does so the result is the same as adjusting the front sight. If I had gotten this new I suppose it would have had the book and instructions for me to possibly read, and now that I understand how it works it is fine. I did not know that there were scopes like this out there but now I do, and it only took me about a box and a half of shells to discover the facts. Does anybody else have any experience with Kassnar scopes I wonder?

Doc_Stihl
07-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Sounds like it might be mounted 90 degrees counter clockwise from where it should be.

375RUGER
07-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Then you have to think of it opposite of what what has become normal convention. I think I have a very old scope in my collection that the R and U designate the reticle movement as opposed to the point of impact.

Larry Gibson
07-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I have run into the same thing on some foreign made scopes. Seems not all is really understood in "reverse engineering".

Larry Gibson

felix
07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah, perhaps that is the best way to sight in, provided you know in advance. Shoot one shot. Hold the gun the very same way, and then move the cross hairs to where the BOOLIT did hit the paper without moving the gun in the slightest. Gun now sighted in. Advantage: one shot sight in. ... felix

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I agree with the man with several GOLD boolits.

Been sighting in that way for years. Works every time.

frkelly74
07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
I will have to try the one shot method. You would know right away if you were going the wrong way.

Bad Water Bill
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
When ever I change things on a gun I load 5 rounds of a given load and put the gun in my LEAD SLED.

Don't remember the last time I fired the last 2 on a test.

montana_charlie
07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah, perhaps that is the best way to sight in, provided you know in advance. Shoot one shot. Hold the gun the very same way, and then move the cross hairs to where the BOOLIT did hit the paper without moving the gun in the slightest. Gun now sighted in. Advantage: one shot sight in. ... felix
That method works ... with iron sights or scopes ... no matter which way the adjustments turn.

CM

Echo
07-10-2012, 02:36 AM
That is similar to the way some foreign pistol iron sights work. Our mantra with them was 'If You Are...'. So, if your group is high, one would move the knob Up - and so on.