PDA

View Full Version : Lee classic cast turret .... ?

Digger
07-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Been using this great reloading toy pretty heavy for the last three years ... other than replacing the plastic bushing for the shaft on rare occasion , ,, has any one officially worn one of these out ? ... totally useless after so much abuse ? ...
As I was popping out a few .357 yesterday ... had some random thoughts on the machine .

digger

UNIQUEDOT
07-09-2012, 10:57 AM
I seldom use mine, but i seriously doubt you could wear one of these out.

dragonrider
07-09-2012, 12:04 PM
It's on my list of presses to aquire. Not that I need another press.

44Vaquero
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
I have been reloading steadily on my aluminum based 3-hole for 15 years and it has not worn out yet! So my guess would have to "no you will not wear it out anytime soon".
Keep it clean and oiled and it will just keep chugging away.

joec
07-09-2012, 02:44 PM
I also suggest you don't get half way up the twisted part then change direction, that seems to shorten their life.

geargnasher
07-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Seeing as how the primer grit is isolated from the ram lubricant, I think the only other things you'd ever wear out would be consumables like the ratchet and turret lugs/indent grooves. I HAVE worn out the ram/base of an RCBS Ammomaster, they were happy to replace the parts for free, but it took me 20 years to finally wear it to the point the wobble was causing problems. If the primer residue didn't constantly grind away at the ram and base, it probably wouldn't have worn out.

Gear

Digger
07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
I also suggest you don't get half way up the twisted part then change direction, that seems to shorten their life.

Nope , always full stroke ....[smilie=f:
Whoa ! there Gearnasher .... hope you got your money's worth by now ......

zuke
07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Been using a LEE 3 hole turret as my main press for a good 25 year's and it's still going strong

DanWalker
07-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Under my bench,I have an emptied 1lb can of 2400 that I use to catch spent primers. It is now 3/4 of the way full. All those rounds were loaded on that press in the past 3 years. No visible wear on the press so far.

Digger
07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah , .. do like how neat the used primers are disposed of ... my 1 lb can is all most full ,don't know how many I threw away for the first few months ....

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I've broke 2 springs in the saftey prime feeder and one plastic ratchet insert.
that's it for about 10,000 to 15,000 rds of ammo since about 2008.
still looks and works like new.
Jon

geargnasher
07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Nope , always full stroke ....[smilie=f:
Whoa ! there Gearnasher .... hope you got your money's worth by now ......

That was my first press, I asked for it for Christmas one year when I was about 15, and have loaded many tens of thousands of .38 Special, .30-30, and .45 ACP on it not to mention many other calibers. The reason for the overkill press instead of getting a Rockchucker like I should have done was that I wanted to eventually upgrade to the progressive and buy the kit to convert the Ammomaster. Unfortunately, by the time I could afford to do so they discontinued it. The press handles case prep and heavy sizing duties now, and I never deprime on it so hopefully it will last the rest of my life.

Oh how I wish the Classic Turret had existed back then! Of courst I'd probably be on my third one by now with all the strokes I put a press through years ago.

Gear

Cowboy T
07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
If someone breaks a Classic Turret Press, then typically they did something wrong. That press is built like a tank.

Maybe if you try boolit swaging on it, then the aluminum turret might give out. But the press itself oughta be fine.

saz
07-13-2012, 11:43 PM
I loaded on mine for about a year or so and heeded all the warnings from everyone on here, and I haven't even broke a bushing (knock on wood) from short stroking yet. There was also a lot of talk about the safety prime giving people fits, but mine took about 5 minutes of tweaking and it was running like a champ. It has a few quirks but once you learn them, it runs like a champ. I was a little worried about the aluminum turret wearing fast, but a little grease on it and it is smooth as silk- again, a non issue.

If you have been thinking about getting one for your bench, dont wait like I did, just get one. You will not be sorry.

Digger
07-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Maybe we should turn this thread into tribute to the "Classic Cast Turret " ... as time goes on , the machine seems to be gaining a bigger fan club ....

soldierbilly1
07-18-2012, 06:37 PM
On the plastic ratchet item, I have replaced a few when she gets cranky.l
Keep the turret and the ram oiled, it will reduce any unwanted excessive wear.

good advice here from previous posters.

billy boy

brassrat
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Mine is 3 yrs, with 1 3/4 pounds filled. Everyone without the spiral thing and parts attached. The one problem was that I lubed the turret with heavy case lube. It slicked it up a bunch, but later the detent ball got stuck in and that's bad. It can't be disassembled and that was a shock. Brake cleaner again to rescue.

connecticut-yankee
07-18-2012, 08:03 PM
This is my first press. I've uncapped 15K rounds since May 1st, 2012. I have nothing but praise for my Classic Turret press. Lookslike I bought the right press the first time.

H.Callahan
07-18-2012, 08:45 PM
On the plastic ratchet item, I have replaced a few when she gets cranky.l
Keep the turret and the ram oiled, it will reduce any unwanted excessive wear.

good advice here from previous posters.

billy boy

I've always wondered why no one makes a metal replacement...

Fatdaddy
07-18-2012, 09:11 PM
The Classic turret is probably the best thing Lee makes.
As long as you keep a spare nylon indexing gear on hand, it's good to go.
I usually go through one of these every couple of years and I'm not so sure those weren't victims of the kids playing around.

joec
07-18-2012, 09:58 PM
The Classic turret is probably the best thing Lee makes.
As long as you keep a spare nylon indexing gear on hand, it's good to go.
I usually go through one of these every couple of years and I'm not so sure those weren't victims of the kids playing around.

Now as a fairly recent owner of one just under 1 year I agree. I also have 3 other presses by Lee, the Pro 1000, Reloader Press and hand press and all 3 serve their purposes for me however I sold a second Lee Pro 1000 to by the Lee Classic turret which is what I wanted to begin with but got a good deal on 2 Pros for the price of one with 4 sets of die 3 of which I still have. I sold the Pro with powder despenser and 38/357 dies for enough to buy the hand press and complete Classic with every thing including new powder despenser (and pro conversion) and primer feed system. Use it for 45 Colt regardless of powder exclusively and 45 ACP with SPP brass (quicker to change and have extra set of dies for 45 ACP.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Just an idea-question...the Lee single stage cast can be set up to work from the left side. The Turret Press is stated to be a "righty only". The linkages appear to be the same or at least similar as is the cross bolt to which the operating handle is attached so in my not too well trained machinist mind I got to wondering if the cross bolt and handle would be swapable and make the press " a lefty". Of course the strut can't be moved anywhere as there is no hole for it, but if the handle could run things from the southpaw side....maybe lefties could be happier. The key word is, as always, if. Your thoughts/ideas/opinions. LLS

jimkim
07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Just an idea-question...the Lee single stage cast can be set up to work from the left side. The Turret Press is stated to be a "righty only". The linkages appear to be the same or at least similar as is the cross bolt to which the operating handle is attached so in my not too well trained machinist mind I got to wondering if the cross bolt and handle would be swapable and make the press " a lefty". Of course the strut can't be moved anywhere as there is no hole for it, but if the handle could run things from the southpaw side....maybe lefties could be happier. The key word is, as always, if. Your thoughts/ideas/opinions. LLS

The handle is adjustable for both length and left or right use.

garym1a2
07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
I set my classic cast turrent to run with the handle on the right side. It frees up the left hand to place the case, boolit and primer and remove the completed round. The right hand stays on the press handle for the turrent press. I am a lefty.

flashhole
07-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Thousands of 223 and 40 S&W and the press shows no wear. That being said, I'm pretty anal about taking care of my equipment. Regular cleaning and lubrication. It does its part and I take care of it.

brassrat
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
This is my first press. I've uncapped 15K rounds since May 1st, 2012. I have nothing but praise for my Classic Turret press. Lookslike I bought the right press the first time.

You are correct about the right press Mr Hardcore

Cowboy T
07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
The handle is adjustable for both length and left or right use.

Yep, both the original and Classic Turrets are ambidextrous. It's the Loadmaster that's right-hand-only, IIRC.

taminsong
07-26-2012, 08:53 AM
I have one. I powdercoated the 3metal post/legs and the handle to prevent rusts.

Loaded a lot of 30M1 rounds on that machine!

taminsong
07-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I have one. I powdercoated the 3metal post/legs and the handle to prevent rusts.

Loaded a lot of 30M1 rounds on that machine!

DanWalker
07-27-2012, 12:34 AM
I love mine, but LEE needs to make a casefeeder for this like the pro1000.

FLINTNFIRE
07-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Mine runs great , only issue was primer feed and that was the spring and not sure why that happened , but contacted Lee and they are sending one , no cost , and a fast reply , pleased with their service and the classic turret is a great press

booneh
07-29-2012, 07:20 PM
i picked up two lee 3 hole turret presses at a yard sale acouple of years ago.i found them very handy.
i have had no problems.changed one over to 4 hole.they worke good for cast boolets in rifles so far.
extra turrets are cheep and you can just leave them set up.
i mean the have to be good the pair cost me $5 with dies 38/357 and 45 colt both carbide.

booneh