PDA

View Full Version : Plastic pellets

Brittany
07-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Do some of you us plastic pellets in a mix with other case cleaning materal in you case tumbler?

Charlie

DukeInFlorida
07-11-2012, 10:18 PM
For what purpose?

Here's how I load my tumbler:

1) I add a mixture of mineral spirits and NuFinish car polish to the media (no brass), and allow that to tumble for 15-20 minutes to rehydrate the media (walnut shell), and disperse what otherwise would be clumps.
2) I pour the media out of the tumbler, into a bucket.
3) I fill the tumbler to 1/2 way full with brass.
4) I pour the media over the brass until the tumbler is quite full of media.
5) I turn the tumbler on for a few seconds to allow the media to fill into the cases.
6) I top off the tumbler with media.
7) Running brass for about two hours gives me a mirror (jewelry) finish

It's not the weight of the media pressing against the brass that polishes. It's the weight of the brass pressing the media into the other brass that makes it work better. I'm able to get more brass into the tumbler the way I do it.

I don't see any useful purpose for plastic anything in the tumbler/media.

GT27
07-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I use cheap,white, long grain rice only(no additives),have for years,cases come out like gold,rice...not so much! GT27

Longwood
07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a five gallon bucket of brass that is pretty old and quite tarnished and some are badly corroded.
I did a lot of experimenting with both a tumbler and a vibrator type cleaner and have settled with a similar mix to the Duke except I now add BB's for additional weight inside of the brass and some polish or rouge.
I have been using red jewelers rouge since the early eighties, it used to be available almost everywhere premixed with a light oil.
Both the rouge and the BB's seem to speed things up quite a bit.
I see that Nu-Finish does not need to be rubbed,,,, that tells me that there is no buffing agent in it.
I use it for a light lube and to protect the shine.
I will stick with my little vibrator cleaner for most jobs. If I have a lot of brass then the much bigger tumbler will get the job.

A friend gave me a bunch of ceramic beads but they dulled the brass. Then it took forever to get it to shine again and it turned my media black because of the amount of dull brass that it had to remove.

Mike Kerr
07-15-2012, 07:41 AM
No sir. What is it good for?

regards,

:-D:-D

MtGun44
07-15-2012, 10:41 AM
No. Fine grind corncob with an occasional capful of NuFinish high tech car wax/polish.

Makes them sparkle and slick as diamonds.

Bill