PDA

View Full Version : life expectancy of Ranch Dog moulds

hanleyfan
07-08-2012, 09:10 PM
anyone ever ware out a Ranch Dog mould? How long do you think a Ranch Dog mould would last if used frequently? The reason I am asking is I am thinking of buying a back up mould in case the one I am using wares out and you can not buy another for some reason.

PacMan
07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Not sure about the molds but i figure that Ranch Dog himself hopes to out live them all.Now he may not admitt to it but i am sure its true.
Just as info some can destroy a steel ball and some can drink from fine crystal forever.You decide where you fit between the two and the mold will do the rest.
Pac

btroj
07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Like any Lee mould they last long enough if treated with respect and kept properly lubed.
I would expect a 2 cav to be capable of producing 4 thousand or more bullets with no problem. A 6 cav should be good for better than 10K bullets.
Either way, that is a fair amount of shooting.

Carolina Cast Bullets
07-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I use a LOT of Mike's molds, more than 25,000 bullets and counting so far, and thats just this year. The only small wear marks are where the sprue swivels.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

leadman
07-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Keeping them lubed and any lead build up off the sprue plate and face of the mold go along way to making them last. Close them gently and especially with a 2 cavity on a flat surface so the halves mate up.

mooman76
07-08-2012, 11:04 PM
If it's what you consider a real important mould to you it doesn't hurt to have a backup. I've never wore out one myself but other thinks can happen too. Things disappear, get stolen or other things can happen to damage a mould.

imashooter2
07-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I use a LOT of Mike's molds, more than 25,000 bullets and counting so far, and thats just this year. The only small wear marks are where the sprue swivels.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Is that all from one mold?

GabbyM
07-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Is that all from one mold?

I'm sure it is from one mould.

Only time I’ve ever broken anything on a six cavity Lee mold is when I let the sprue get to cold in a non pre heated mold. Learned to heat them up at least to op temp or hotter before casting. Bull Plate Lube and aluminum molds go hand in foot and will about eliminate that wear on top.

stubshaft
07-09-2012, 03:02 AM
I personally can't imagine one of them breaking with proper care and use.

imashooter2
07-09-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm sure it is from one mould.

Only time I’ve ever broken anything on a six cavity Lee mold is when I let the sprue get to cold in a non pre heated mold. Learned to heat them up at least to op temp or hotter before casting. Bull Plate Lube and aluminum molds go hand in foot and will about eliminate that wear on top.

I've got a Lee 6 cavity with over 3000 cycles and a one cavity with over 4000 keepers cast. Neither one is even close to scrap, so I know they can last. But Jerry said he uses a LOT of Ranch Dog molds (his emphasis) and I believe it is reasonable to ask for clarification.

Oh, and I haven't found Bull Plate to be the magic elixir that many here claim. Tried it, moved on.

Bret4207
07-09-2012, 06:49 AM
I have Lee 6 cavs with several thousand through them. Heck, I even have a Lee single with at least 3K through it. IMO, having destroyed a Lee or two, operator error is the biggest problem for Lee moulds of any variety.

MT Gianni
07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I have worked with people that could break anything. I think with any lee 6 cavity if you warm it up correctly and treat it gently it will go a long time. If you slam it shut, don't lube it adn don't square it up on closing it could have a short life.

captaint
07-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Properly cared for is the key phrase here. Be careful before it gets up to temp. ( I start out by pouring only the 2 cav's nearest the sprue plate bolt). Keep them lubed and be nice. I should think Lees will go a long time. My opinion. enjoy Mike

Blammer
07-09-2012, 07:49 PM
You could probably get at least 60,000 boolits from a RD mould if you don't abuse it.

Chicken Thief
07-09-2012, 08:19 PM
I had a single hole Lee 459-405HB mould that hit 8k castings before i gave it away and bought a new one. Oval inlet hole in the cavities from wear and a loose base plug, but it still cast good.

So an aluminium mould will serve you well, if you give it a minimum of attention and care.

skimmerhead
07-09-2012, 09:36 PM
molds are kinda like women, treat them right, be gentle, give them what they need, and they'll love you the rest of your life!

skimmerhead:grin:

Carolina Cast Bullets
07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Gentlemen,
Allow me to clarify.

No, it was and is not with one mold but a collection of molds ranging from a 25 ACP up to a 45-70 mold and several with two molds, all RDO 6 holers.

I apologize for the confusion.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

dmize
07-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I am a bit confused. How does one wear out a mould? It really doesnt do much,you close it,fill it with molten lead then open it and maybe smack the handle pivot bolt a couple times and repeat. But then again sorta like others but in a different way I have seen new cars trashed before 3 years and yesterday replaced plugs for the 8th time in a pristine 250,000 mile Cougar I pre delivered when I first started at the shop in 1987.

btroj
07-12-2012, 08:05 AM
A mould largely dies from wear. Much wearis from abuse and misuse.

My feeling is that if we keep a mould properly lubricated and don't abuse it then it should last a very, very long time.

Char-Gar
07-12-2012, 10:53 AM
The life span of a mould depends on the materials from which it was made and the care it receives.

Lee moulds are made from not the best grade material and will roll snake eyes quicker. Moulds from higher grade aluminum, brass or iron will last several times longer. I would expect a good high quality iron mould with proper care to produce a million or more bullets. I cast well over 300,000 with one Hensley and Gibbs mould. I have gotton a hundred thousand or more bullets from several of my moulds. I have a 1965 vintage SAECO/Cramer 3 cavity (#12) that has produced well over 100,000 bullets and is still as good as it every was.

In bullet moulds like a number of other things, you do get what you pay for. Long life come with a price. When were were doing lots of group of Lee six cavities moulds, I always bought at least two or the ones I truly wanted to use.

Casting_40S&W
07-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Char_Gar, what would you consider a high grade of aluminum?

Char-Gar
07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Char_Gar, what would you consider a high grade of aluminum?

I don't know enough about metals to give you an exact answer. Check with Dutch of Night Owl about the aluminium he uses in his molds. It is better than the Lee stuff, or so I have been told. There are different grades of aluminium.