PDA

View Full Version : remington 700 need some help please.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-08-2012, 06:22 PM
I bought this rifle to fire 500 to 700 yards max. I need a scope for it. I really do not know what to buy. Money is tight I used a truglo scope 6x24x44 infinity. I used this scope to try out the rifle but am very disappoint with this scope. It has no mil dots . The rifle shoots as expected. but when i went pass 100 yards the bullets went awol on me the groups where not as tight. I went from 25, 50, and final 100yards to zero the rifle. The nut on the the scope got loose and I had to retighteen them. Should I use blue lock tight on the nut. I can spend around 300 t0 400 on the scope. I would prefer to have mil dots on this scope. This is my first bolt action rifle. for semi long range. I live in New jersey and I go to range 14 in Fort Dix army base. If some can help me set up this rifle it would be nice. I need help in setting and mounting the scope.

Ps. please help a novice

Artful
07-08-2012, 06:51 PM
What caliber is the rifle?
Optic's is one place where you get what you pay for.

Some of the best deals on quality I find here...
http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx

if I had $400 to spend I'd probably go
http://www.samplelist.com/Burris-65-20x50-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P55415.aspx
or
http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P57384.aspx

check out reviews
http://www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews.htm

dk17hmr
07-08-2012, 07:07 PM
I have had really good luck with the Bushnell 10x40...you can find them used for around $150 used, has a mildot reticle and a target turrets. Its a straight 10x which is enough for the distance you are wanting to shoot assuming your not shooting p-dogs.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Its a 700 SPS 20 inch heavy barrel 308.

Mroily
07-09-2012, 08:16 AM
What about the new Nikon m-308 bdc ?
You can get the spot on bullet drop calculator for smart phone or computer

Lonegun1894
07-09-2012, 11:55 AM
I also second the Bushnell 10x40. I have one or two of them, and they have done everything I have ever asked of them. The way I was taught though, a fixed power is an advantage, but many people prefer a variable. Another option is the Bushnell 3-9-40 mildot scope. I bought one and put it on my girlfriends .22, but it is made for centerfires and I am thinking about buying another to put on my .30-06 cause I think she may shoot me if I try to steal hers.

snowwolfe
07-09-2012, 01:14 PM
What size groups are you shooting? Just curious, have you bedded the rifle or adjusted the trigger yet? What are you using for a scope base and rings?

TheCelt
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Nikon BuckMaster scopes are a good deal for the money. You can get the Mil-dot reticule in a 6-18x44mm scope for about $300. I have two of them mounted on target rifles and they perform every bit as well as my Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with the exception of "brightness" They hold their "Zero" well and repeatability is very good. No matter what optic you choose, remember that one thing a lot of folks overlook are quality rings and bases. If you mount a quality scope with discount hardware you will be dissapointed with the scopes performance. Get Ken Farrell bases and rings or something of similar quality and you are well on your way to obtaining the best performance from your scope and rifle.

MBTcustom
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Just want to throw this out there, and not trying to dis your rifle. The SPS has a really bad stock on it. I believe that package was put together to get a shooter into a good action, and a fair barrel for not much money and the stock is used as a shipping apparatus. They shoot decent if you get a good quality stock installed, but until that happens you will have trouble realizing the potential of that system. Just something to be aware of if the groups are not quite what you are after.
As far as the scope goes, I would buy as much Leopold as you can afford, and get some good quality steel rings and lap them in with some 600 grit clover leaf.
This will get you a lot closer to where you want to be, and if you have trouble with the scope, they can repair it, even if its in the middle of deer season (ask me how I know).
There is a member here by the name of "The Ameture" who has that very rifle and managed to modify the stock on the cheap, so that it quit working against the rifle's accuracy potential. I'll send him a PM and see if He'll chime in.

The Amateur
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I really wish I took photos of my SPS stock mod...
One of my sayings is; pictures SAVE a thousand words!
Sadly, everything is torqued down and the scope is where it needs to be so I really don't want to take it apart for now.
I will subsequently attempt to describe what I did.

I watched a very informative video series on youtube: http://youtu.be/JdUhYz0q30o
This link is part 1 of 9...

Because I own a mini-lathe, I figured an aluminum pillar block would be a better method due to the poor adhesion of epoxy to the tupperware stock.

First, I drilled and threaded the receiver bolt holes in the stock to 1/2-20TPI.
Next, some aluminum round stock was threaded to fill these new holes in the stock.
This was cut into two pillars and bolt holes centered then drilled.

The rear pillar matched the profile of the stock and was shaped with a semi-round file to accept the curvature of the receiver.

The front pillar was profiled and cut a little long to allow approximately 1/8-3/32" elevation to fully free float the barrel. A little extra space was added to prevent the stock (flex) forearm from ever making barrel contact during the firing cycle. This also allows me to "free recoil" the rifle with a bi-pod.

I filed down the molded forearm "pillars" that are located on the ribs and barrel channel.
Once fitting was completed, the threaded surfaces were cleaned and then epoxy was applied.
After final fitting, the action was torqued down to 65 in-lbs. until the cure time had elapsed.

Remove the action and clean any epoxy squeeze out and release agent.
Perform a final assembly and toque the action bolts (I used 65 in-lbs)

I hope this is somewhat clear (as mud) and will attempt to fill in the gaps as needed :-)

In summery, Remington dropped the ball on the SPS stock. All they had to do was mold in some simple aluminum pillars and all is well. I went from 4-5" 100yrd groups to sub-MOA after this mod.
Mine is the 700 SPS-V .308WIN just like in the videos above. I suspect the aluminum pillars will outlast epoxy bedding alone. Frankly, I didn't want to swap stock because I liked the ergonomics the SPS stock offered. It felt good to me just structurally not engineered well.

Sorry for the long post...

The Amateur
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
On my next rifle build, (an LR-308 kit from DPMS in .260REM) will have a Millet TRS-1 illuminated Mil-Dot on a one piece QD rail. The other option will be something from Horus with a TruMor2 reticle. I love the concept of the Horus system. Just not the cost...

The SPS-V above has a now discontinued BSA Mil-Dot 4-16X44mmIR that has served me well. I know, cheap rifle, cheap scope...

MJR007
07-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Check out the used glass on Guns America.

shotman
07-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Check Nc Star scopes ----midway several others best out there for GOOD cheap scope As clear as any major brand and so far is good . Midway will back them

Artful
07-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Check Nc Star scopes ----midway several others best out there for GOOD cheap scope As clear as any major brand and so far is good . Midway will back them

While I love my cheap NcStar and Barska scopes, I would have to disagree they are as clear at long range as "any major brand" for long range shooting.

At 300 yards the better quality scopes can see bullet holes as small as 22 caliber but the NcStar's and lesser quality won't be able to see the holes on target.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I know the stock should be relpaced. As for the glass I am a little lost.
I am thinking of getting this one. Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x 50mm - Mil-DotModel: ET4305
Is this a good choice.

Artful
07-12-2012, 02:01 AM
It's got 90 inches of adjustment with 1/4 inch clicks and parallex adjustment, so it sounds ok,
I have not seen one (or more specifically thru one) but Bushnell generally gives good value for money.
But looks like beyond your price range at least on this link [I can spend around 300 t0 400 on the scope]
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-4-5-30x50-matte-30mm-argon-elite-riflescope-mildot.html

MBTcustom
07-12-2012, 06:33 AM
That looks like a dam good scope. I would do some research on bushnells return policy and see how many hoops you would have to jump through if there were ever a problem. I don't know if they offer a lifetime warranty or not. Just a few things to check on, but it looks very nice. You will appreciate that 30mm tube, I promise.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Yes it is beyond my price range Well you know the saying cry onces. Now i need a good set of rings and a better stock. I am looking for a simple stock for it. This is the stock that I am going to purchase Choate stock # SKU16326123

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-12-2012, 06:22 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/138584fff4e2644b1c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5867) The stock I am going to buy.

Four Fingers of Death
07-19-2012, 09:01 AM
I quiet like the ergonomics of the SPS (affectionately known as the Sh&t Plastic Stock in Australia,lol) and feel of it and the recoil pad is brilliant. I have a 308Tactical, a17RFB and a 270 SPS and a 375H&H Dangerous Game (my 300WM is an old BDL). The stocks are essentially the same, which is a feature I like and the recoilpad soaks up the recoilof the 375 very effectively (Nothing stops it jumping about, it is a 7lb rifle after all, too light for a 375).

I will probably end up bedding mine, just getting around to it is the thing.

Love Life
07-19-2012, 11:01 AM
If you aren't hard pressed for a scope right now I would hunt the market for a good used Leupold, Swarovski Habicht, Or Zeiss Conquest. It takes awhile to find a good deal, but it is worth it in the end. As someone said earlier you get what you pay for with scopes.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-19-2012, 05:36 PM
The new stock came in today, The original screws that came with the Remington are too long. I used two washer and now I can close the bolt. Was that a good idea to use the washers. I am searching the net for a used scope.

MBTcustom
07-19-2012, 05:43 PM
I would get properly fitting screws for that gun. Remember Murphy's Law. Simpler is better.

Love Life
07-19-2012, 05:51 PM
This is true to a point. I had the opportunity to look through a Schmidt & Bender tactical scope over the weekend and will say that my SWFA 6x is noticeably sharper. The same guy had a Leupold Mk 4 and its the 2nd I've looked through and not been impressed with. I've looked through other Leupold 30mm scopes, and haven't been thrilled with them with the exception of the 1-6x VX-6, and its a hunting scope with duplex reticle.

I would not spend the $ for a Zeiss Conquest. I have Leupold VX-1, VX-2, and VX-III, B&L Elite 3000 Bushnell Elite 3200, Nikon Monarch and SWFA 6x and 10x among others. The SWFAs are heads and shoulders brighter and clearer than any of the scopes I currently own. Too they have target turrets, huge amounts of windage and elevation adjustment, and mildots that I recall the original poster was looking for....these scopes were originally made for military contracts and are rated up to and including 50BMG.

Good points. I totally spaced on the mil-dots part.

Maybe it is time to give the SWFA scopes a look see. If they beat out the Swarovski and Leupolds then they are definately worth it. Another scope maker I looked at recently is Sightron. Weaver has a tactical series that looks pretty decent as well.

If using only for target then the target finger adjustable turrets are nice to have.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you all for the help. I am looking at other scopes and learning the difference between fixed and variable Scopes. The rifle is going to be used for target shooting and up to 600 yards and maybe beyond that with hand loads. I want a Mil dot scope. I was going to buy a 6500 series Bushnell 4.5x30x50. I only had 500 to spent he wanted 550. Did I miss a good deal at 550

Love Life
07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
The 308 will go well beyond your 600 yards. My buddy is a HOG and shoots his out past 800 yards. Spooky accurate.

At that distance the scope becomes just another factor in the whole equation.

I have a bit of 308 LR brass that is supposed to be up to snuff with match brass. Shoot me a PM with address and I can send you a little to get you started on the route to long range fun.

Four Fingers of Death
07-19-2012, 10:16 PM
The SWFA scopes sound good, mind you, I have never seen one and I am surprised to hear that they seem brighter to you that the Leupolds.

If buying used, I'd be very leery of the SWFA scopes as they apparently had some problematic issues with the previous manafacturer. The current ones are fine apparently.

I fancy a 6X42 to try the mildot reticle out on my 700 Tactical 308.

I never hesitate to buy Leupolds used however because if there is anything wrong with them, just send it back and it is fixed. Brilliant service, even from Australia. I have never had a problem with any of the Leupolds I have bought over the years (and I have bought plenty of them, a few second hand as well).

My mate bought a Leupold scope second hand for use on his target rifle as his eyes were starting to fade with age. It wouldn't hold zero (probably why the first guy sold it). He posted it to Leupold and sometime later (we are in Australia remember), a parcel arrived in the mail. There was a note that they couldn't fix his old scope as it was a very old model that they do not have parts for anymore. They asked if he would accept a similar new scope that had been used in a gun magazine test and the writer had put fifty shots of 223 through the rifle in the test. There were almost invisible scope ring marks on it, but you really had to look hard to find them.

Another mate of mine (who now camps in the deer camp in the sky) bought a scope that had been used by his friend who was a professional hunter/deer hunting guide for many years. He wrote that the friend had now passed away and he wanted the scope re-furbished, not replaced and he was prepared to pay whatever it cost to get-er-done. The scope worked perfectly, but was almost a silver scope as the finish had been rubbed/knocked off after decades in the field. It came back looking like new and lots of scratches and the few little dents were invisible! No charge! My mate rang Leupold because they thought that they had made a mistake (my mate is painfully honest and would not want to see anyone, no matter how flush they were, out of pocket on his account. An attitude that I adhere to as well. Nope, no mistake, fixed for free!

Great product, great service (and you can't say that for all of the companies that give great service in the States and ignore us in Australia). Leupold products, never a mistake!

Artful
07-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I was going to buy a 6500 series Bushnell 4.5x30x50. I only had 500 to spent he wanted 550. Did I miss a good deal at 550

it wasn't a bad deal but, just means there is a better deal out there waiting for you.

Do your research when it comes to used scopes prices vary quite a bit.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Pm inbound life

fishnbob
07-20-2012, 09:08 AM
I once loaned a Ruger Redhawk with a Leupold eer scope atop and when I got it back the guy had unscrewed the eyepiece and cross threaded it when he tried to put it back on. I sent it to Leupold with an explanation and I got back a brand new scope, no charge. I have bought nothing but Leupolds since except for a few cheapies for knock arounds and quick turnovers. I think you can buy a more expensive scope than Leupold but I don't think it will be any better than a Leupold. It has proven to me to be one of the best in accuracy in its internal adjustments.
nuf said-Bob

MBTcustom
07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree. Leopold is tough to pony up the money for, but they are accurate, and tough, and covered by a good warranty.
I had opportunity to look through one of the new Redfield scopes, and I was impressed by the clearity of the lenses. They are manufactured by Leupold and the one I looked at was the only model on the rack that was near the quality of a Leupold. They are worth buying.
A good optic doesn't care that it has a crosshair in the middle of it, or how expensive the piece of steel under it is. It is a precision instrument all to itself.
Think about this: What you are asking from a "good" sports-grade optical sight, is that it survive severe shock and temperature swings while maintaining a Zero that is easily adjusted at the whim of the operator but must never move or drift once it is set. The only other application where optics are expected to survive that kind of environment is space flight. However, if the government were to have need to send a scope sized optic into outer space, and have it survive liftoff and reentry, they would probably spend $500,000 of tax payer money to have the thing built tested and installed, and it would not be held to much higher standards than Leupold already implements as a matter of course. The very fact that we can get a precision optic for less than $1000 is an amazing thing, and when you consider the delicate nature of the internal workings and the 125 degree temperature difference that any normal person would expect the product to work flawlessly in, all while taking enormous amounts of shock and vibration, you realize that to expect a $75 wal-mart scope to handle that is foolish, and paying for a good optic is money well spent in the long run.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Here she is all dressed up. I need to take a better picture

MBTcustom
07-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Lookin goood!

Four Fingers of Death
07-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Watch my lips....... L-E-U-P-O-L-D!!!!!

MBTcustom
07-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Come now! What's $200 between friends?

MJR007
07-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Check Guns America every few days...http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?T=leupold+scope+mil+dot

MBTcustom
07-21-2012, 03:45 PM
So you're gonna spot me $200 and not expect it back?
Yes as a matter of fact I would. Unfortunately, I just checked my friends list and your'e not on it yet.........bummer.:kidding:
seriously though, I know how this works. You want it and you want it now. Its just like when we were kids and had a $2 a month allowance (If you got more please don't tell me! If you got less, you better have been growing up in the 80s or I don't want to hear it! wasn't $.25 worth like $50 in 1960?:-D) anyways its the same now. If you want to wait and save for 4 months you can pull together another $200 but dang its hard to push the project back that far! But hey, look at the bright side, you will get a superior system that will get you where you want to be, and you wont have to deal with as much mirage when you finally do get out to the range (seriously folks, look outside, its hotter than the hinges of hell out their!):drinks:
Its so hot the kid down the street quit selling lemonade and opened a hot-dog stand! (badoom boom tish)

MBTcustom
07-21-2012, 05:56 PM
You mean like how you gobbed together some epoxy mess for a front sight on your shotgun?
It was a rear sight, and its only temporary! Also, in my defense, There is no such critter made for a S&W 916 that I know of, and it works dad gum it!
Besides, a scope is a whole diferent deal, and I do have a Leupold on my 300winmag[smilie=p:

daniel lawecki
07-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I picked up a remington 760 gamemaster for 150 dollars with a scope any thoughts.Is this a keeper? I really dont shoot many rilfes

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-21-2012, 11:08 PM
I am looking at the Leupold scope and SWFA. I have 500.00 to spend if I need to save I can wait. It took me 3years to get the rifle another couple of months will not kill me. If I sell my pistol it will be sooner. SW910 9MM. I AM very happy the goods folks on this site have help me alot. I enjoy reading the different opinion on this subject on this forum. I learned a few things I did not know. Thanks

MBTcustom
07-22-2012, 12:56 AM
I picked up a remington 760 gamemaster for 150 dollars with a scope any thoughts.Is this a keeper?
Yes, it is definitely a keeper. The 760 is one of Remingtons unsung heroes. It is incredibly accurate for what it is, most of them will shoot about 1" at 100 yards. It gives quick followup shots and is pretty much a solid elegant deer slayer. It will last you the rest of your life, and slam game on your table every year without fail. Shoot it, and enjoy it.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Has any one ever use this brand before.

Product Number: BKAC10550
Web Product Title: 10-40X50 SWAT BL MAT ILL MIL DOT
Item Price: $174.99

Artful
07-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Barska SWAT 10-40x50 Riflescope Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

I've got a couple of Barska's - quality control is an issue -
Last Barska I bought was from Big 5 - had them take 4 binoculars out of box
and compared out in the parking lot and bought the best one of the bunch.

If I had to buy over the internet I'd be less willing to do so.

asw1911pc@aol.com
07-23-2012, 08:02 PM
save your nickels.....
Lets change that to quarters

dk17hmr
07-24-2012, 01:40 AM
I would seriously consider saving a while longer for a good chunk of glass. I just bought a Leupold VX3 and it is amazing. Mil-dots are nice but if your going to get into long range shooting consider learning how to run a scope with target turrets.....in the long run you will get more joy out of it.

Mildots are nice when you run out of elevation adjustment but for serious target work I still turn my turrets. I have the new VX3 setting on top of my 300WSM with a 50MOA base, I need about 10 more MOA to get my scope bottomed out and be zeroed at 200 yards. By doing that I would have 95MOA of adjustment UP, which takes me out to about 2300 yards and than I have mil lines for hold over from there.

I saved for a long time and sold a bunch of stuff to get my VX3 but it was exactly what I wanted. You buy a rifle, a good quality scope is an investment.

Just my thoughts.

MBTcustom
07-24-2012, 06:48 AM
:goodpost:
I totally agree with dk17hmr. I don't have any personal use for mil-dots (of course I have no training on how to use them). Having the ability to calculate MOA vs. bullet drop and having precision turrets that can translate that into realized hits at long range is much better and more precise than the mill-dot system, albeit slower. You would be surprised how many scopes don't actually move exactly 1/4MOA with the clicks of the knob. Nothing feels quite like zeroing your rifle at 200 yards and you're cutting the center out of the bull, and then moving your adjustments ten clicks up and ten clicks over, then returning them to home position and shooting another group. If your rifle goes right back where it was, you get this overwelming feeling of satisfaction and confidence in your equipment. If the group is 1/2" off, you get this sinking feeling and end up burning a bunch of ammo trying to convince yourself that you didn't get a lemon but the proof continues to manifest itself as you go. You'll be talking to yourself about how $200 should get you a better scope! and so-and-so said that this cheap scope worked just fine (of course he was a deer hunter hmmmm) yadda yadda yadda.
Listen, you get what you pay for, and nowhere is that more true than with rifle sights, and especially scopes!
Here is a link that might put this in perspective. I just want you to notice how much magnification this unit has and the complexity of the unit and the price at the bottom of the last paragraph.
http://www.montanavintagearms.com/107_longrange.html

Silver Hand
07-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Leupold M8 x 4 purchased in 1969 mounted to a .350 Rem. mag. I dropped the rile in 1971 falling from rocks in ice on a hi point, in the Adirondack Mountains. The Gun came out clean due to the scope and rings taking the first hit [ after my back and buttocks ] as I slipped and fell backward. The mussel pointed forward during the fall, I let the rifle go after the impact to my back and right hand. Watching the rifle slide down the icy rock ridge. Those marks are still on that scope today. The gun will knock out the inside of a nickel three times every time any day with 250 grain Speer spire point bullets and something close to 53 grains of imr 3031 All holes touching 100 yards ten ring.
My point is it still works like the day it was made. It has had a lifetime of use, weather Ice and snow on the East Coast and rain almost every day in the Pacific North West. I hunted bear with dogs, for over five years with that team [Bear season was once year long, then six months].
I hiked six hours to a ridge top packing that team to kill an elk in pouring rain after hunting him for four days in the rain. Let’s not forget over thirty deer seasons in the rain and brush with that same team. That scope is nothing special today BUT it was at the time and it still is to me.
I have other Leupold scopes also, that is my first, not first scope First Leupold.
Recently I tried to save a bit of money [Knowing better ahead of time] I did yield to a Nikon for one of my pistols. Nice scope older 1.5-4 x fits inside the iron sights [ like a cradle ] of a 7-1/2''- 44 ss Ruger Redhawlk, after a bit of milling of the rings. All that went great, I have recent targets with three shots @ ten yards in one hole and another two or so weeks later with three shots in one hole @ 25 yards, The only two times I shot this scope and gun combination.
I HATE THAT SCOPE - Who the heck on gods green earth paints cross hairs gold - Nikon
And it is not as bright as any Leupold I have had up to my eye.
It is more than a name.