PDA

View Full Version : Source of #2 Alloy or WW in Phoenix AZ?

Bigbore4me
07-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Does anyone know of a source of #2 Alloy or wheel weights in Phoenix, AZ metro area? I have called a number of scap yards and they don't sell to individuals only as wholesale.

MikeS
07-08-2012, 06:30 AM
While not exactly 'local', you should checkout RotoMetals. They're a forum sponsor, and offer free shipping if you buy over 100lbs (I think that's the weight, but double check their website to be sure). They have several different common boolit alloys, so you could say buy some Lyman #2 as well as some 20:1 or linotype, etc. Nice folks to deal with as well.

jtaylor1960
07-08-2012, 06:56 AM
I buy from Roto Metals.Their prices are good and they ship to the Post Office.They have a big selection of alloys.

41mag
07-08-2012, 07:05 AM
You can also look at the Swapping and Selling area. There is usually someone there who is selling some lead in various forms. You probably won't get striaght #2 there, but I have gotten 65# of WW, and a variety of other types there for usually 65-70 bucks delivered in a MFR box to my front doorstep. At least if you decide to go that way, you can pick up some a bit cheaper than the certified stuff.

What in particular are you planning on casting for?

Wolfer
07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
While getting a flat fixed recently I asked the man if he had any lead WW. He said yes but he sold them to the scrap yard. I asked what they paid and he said 20 cents per LB. I replied that made them worth 40 cents to me.
He says he gets around 50 LB a month and he'll save them for me.
I haven't went through the whole bucket yet but haven't found a single zinc or steel although I'm sure there are some.
Since I recycle most of my lead it doesn't take too much to do me but the WW shortage makes me nervous and this is the first time I've had to pay for boolit material except for the tin.

dbarnhart
07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Glendale Iron and Metal sells both WW and pure lead scrap

Bigbore4me
07-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks Dbarnhart - I'll check out Glendale. To those who sugessted Roto, I am aware of them and seveal other shipped sources. I am trying to avoid shipping.

azrednek
07-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks Dbarnhart - I'll check out Glendale. To those who sugessted Roto, I am aware of them and seveal other shipped sources. I am trying to avoid shipping.

My last trip to Glendale metals they wouldn't sell wheel weights separately. The weights were mixed with scrap lead although the wheel weights, clip-ons and stickys accounted for apx 70% of the load. You will have to cull the steel and zinc wheel weights. It was my first time for me running across zinc stickys. Careful with the bullet scrap. Most have been shot but my last batch I pulled out a few live pulled 50 cal tracers.

Be sure to mention when discussing price you're paying cash and don't need a receipt. Before he gives you a price he will ask how much are you buying. I've told him I'm trying to get as much as I can for a $100. To the best of my knowledge they pay the highest prices in the valley for scrap. If you have any copper, brass or a load of cans. Kill two birds with one trip and knock a few bux of the lead price. Don't piss them off with a small amount of copper as they have to do the paperwork and send the check regardless of the amount. Bring your own buckets and if the helpers have time and help load it neatly for you. A good idea to tip them a few bux. They remembered me my second trip and went out of their way to find me wheel weights.

Please get ahold of me if you're going to give an order to RotoMetals. We can combine our order and save on the shipping. I live near I-17 and Cactus.

Bigbore4me
07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks azrednk - sage advice and very useful. Several of your points make good sense and I hadn't thought of them.

If I change my mind on buying from Roto I'll let you know. I live out west of Goodyear.

I do appreciate all who have posted and after re-reading my last post I sounded a bit harsh. It was not my intent, it is just for now I don't want to use the shipping route and it has nothing to do with the cost.

GRUMPA
07-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Dang!!! I remember when I lived there I used to be able to just go get them prior to the 05 move. Now even in this little fart of a town the tire stores know what the price of this stuff is worth and are charging accordingly. Had a score with an add on Craigslist but have bought alot of smelted WW right here without a single problem, and the price is right.

azrednek
07-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Glad to help!! With Roto Metals have to put together a $99.00 order for free shipping. I'm not planning on doing much if any casting till it cools off again. I rarely need much from Roto but like to get a few bars to harden things up a bit. A couple years ago I made a big score on tin solder at the Greyhound Park flea market. I probably have enough tin to last a few years so I like the lead/antimony bars from Roto.

azrednek
07-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Had a score with an add on Craigslist but have bought alot of smelted WW right here without a single problem, and the price is right.

I gave up on Craig's list. Every time I've found a good price on lead or wheel weights it is sold and gone before I arrive. I have found a few deals on used reloading tools but haven't been following much lately as more and more sellers expect to get the going prices on Ebay.

Bigbore4me
07-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Dang!!! I remember when I lived there I used to be able to just go get them prior to the 05 move. Now even in this little fart of a town the tire stores know what the price of this stuff is worth and are charging accordingly. Had a score with an add on Craigslist but have bought alot of smelted WW right here without a single problem, and the price is right.

You are so right things have really changed in the last couple years here. None of my old tire shops are a good source and I have tried Craigsliist with no success. Just a change in market.

dbarnhart
07-08-2012, 08:20 PM
My last trip to Glendale metals they wouldn't sell wheel weights separately.

When I talked to Marlene a few months ago she indicated that I could be either WW OR soft pure lead, they had both. I'm assuming the WW are unsorted.

As for me, I'd like to find out who the hospitals are selling their isotope containers to.

azrednek
07-08-2012, 08:44 PM
As for me, I'd like to find out who the hospitals are selling their isotope containers to.

I asked last time I was in the hospital. I was told by an elderly gentleman that the isotope containers are exchanged the same as we did years ago with soda pop bottles. He told me the deposit they paid on each but in all honesty I was so doped up I just don't remember but I'm pretty sure it was more than 10 bux for each one they were short.

mongo-az
07-09-2012, 04:56 PM
There's a fairly big scrap yard on Southern in the middle of Mesa that sells wheel weights - the name escapes me though.