PDA

View Full Version : Factory Winchester 30-30 loads!!!!!

Willyp
07-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Last fall i bought a box of Winchester 30-30's,at a large hunting store. I figured as low priced as they were,the brass was worth it. My grandson bought a used 30-30 Winchester,so i gave the new box of shells to him to shoot the gun. Later that day he returns and says; " Pappy,one of you reloads didn't go off !!!!" I told him they were new shells and put the box on my bench,last fall.
Friday i decided to size them and put them into my stock pile of 30-30 brass. I had to pull the bullet and dumped the powder. I spray lubed them and started to full length size them. The very first one,inline was the dud!I figured his firing pin didn't hit it hard enough,trying to be like the old west dudes? The die got really tight or stiff,so i put a little more power to the press handle? The next thing i heard was a clink!!! The de-capping pin,on my Lee die broke off????????? I 've never broke a Lee pin!! Not even with crimped in primers!!!!!
I took the brass off of the press and looked inside of it? The brass had a bump,[no hole]where the primer hole should have come thru into the powder and broke my de-capper stem.
So,what do you do? Order just a de-capper or new die set????? I ordered the pin,from a big name internet company. What has me disturbed,is the shipping cost!!!
I had to order some things i wanted but didn't need,right now,to make it worth the shipping cost. To get a $3.50 pin cost a lot,thanks to Winchesters junk brass!

darkroommike
07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Did you call Lee?

Guesser
07-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Call Lee direct, they may or may not charge you for the pin but it will come in a 1st class US Mail envelope and you will be back in business, the total fee will be less that the $3.50 you paid for the pin.

BCB
07-08-2012, 10:32 AM
I am not sure how the pin in the Lee dies is held in place, but in emergencies, I have seen nails of the proper diameter put in and tightened in place. Cut the heads and points off. Never did it myself, but I have seen it done…

I have a supply of Lyman and RCBS pins in stock. I have only broken a couple of pins, but it sure is nice to have the spares laying around…

If not to expensive and you use some Lee dies, might not hurt to get a few at one time—shipping would probably be the same…

Good-luck…BCB

sparky45
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I broke a Lee universal decapping pin a while back and contacted Lee and they wanted to charge me for a new pin because I couldn't varify I actually had a broken pin. Solved the problem with a picture sent to Lee. They sent a new pin free of charge, so definately contact Lee show them the proof and get your pin replaced for free.

GabbyM
07-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Even more money. However you need a primer pocket deburr tool.
#1 center-drill in an extension with handle.
Those burrs catch the pin deflecting it away from the hole. Or the pin takes a burr into the flash hole with it to bind it up.
deburring the flash holes on the inside bafore decaping will almost eliminate busted decap pins on mil brass and others.

side note: I have some Win White Box 223 Rem laoded ammo here that will not even chamber.

UNIQUEDOT
07-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I broke a Lee universal decapping pin a while back and contacted Lee and they wanted to charge me for a new pin because I couldn't varify I actually had a broken pin. Solved the problem with a picture sent to Lee. They sent a new pin free of charge, so definately contact Lee show them the proof and get your pin replaced for free.

Wow i broke one in a universal decapping die (pin stuck in a case and pulled out of the shaft) i emailed Lee and they said no problem it's in the mail today. Never asked to see any proof.

r1kk1
07-08-2012, 12:06 PM
My wife broke one decapping 45-70 win brass. I've punch clear through crimped in primers over the years. This lot of win brass was loaded numerous times. Lee charged me less than 5.00 for one.

Take care

r1kk1

Le Loup Solitaire
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
The Lee pins are, as we all know, mounted in a removable collet and when placed in a stress situation such as a small flash hole, no flash hole, a berdan primer setup, etc will slide upward instead of breaking. When the obstruction is found then the collet is loosened and the pin reset. I have never broken a Lee decapping pin although it seems that others have done so. Lee's policy is that if you return one that breaks they will replace it at no cost. LLS

44Vaquero
07-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Funny thing about that collet: If you leave the die mounted in the press and loosen the collet you will drop the de-capping rod right into the hollow ram of your Load Master! Please do not ask how I know this just take my word for it!
The lady on the phone at Lee laughed and sent me a new one for free!

UNIQUEDOT
07-08-2012, 01:56 PM
The Lee pins are, as we all know, mounted in a removable collet and when placed in a stress situation such as a small flash hole

Mine stuck in a small flash hole and pulled the pin out of the rod.

Funny thing about that collet: If you leave the die mounted in the press and loosen the collet you will drop the de-capping rod right into the hollow ram of your Load Master! Please do not ask how I know this just take my word for it!

I don't have to ask...i did exactly the same thing once.