PDA

View Full Version : Lyman All American

d.thomson
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
I just picked up a Lyman All American multy stag press has any one had any expeiance with this press. What do you think of it. I payed with 300 rounds of M1 carbide rounds. Thanks for any replies Dave T.

KCSO
04-30-2007, 11:27 AM
A good solid press that will serve you well for years. Vega Tool and Machine makes a conversion unit for the modern shell holders if you don't want to haunt the auction sites for the J style. I just bought and am waiting for a shipment of J's and may have spares for the more common calibers. I like the design of the AA and like that it is easy to mount just about anywhere. Mine is about 40 years old and still works like new.

ktw
04-30-2007, 11:56 AM
I just bought and am waiting for a shipment of J's and may have spares for the more common calibers.

I could use a #9 (32 S&W L/32 H&R M) and a #11 (45 Colt) if you should end up with any extras.

-ktw

Swagerman
04-30-2007, 12:02 PM
The AA press is the work horse press in my stable of reloading equipment. It sees more use than any of the other makes I have.

Great turret model for working up loads, my Dillon 550B is gathering dust.

You can also buy a Lyman conversion shellholder that converts the obsolete J-type to modern X-type that will mean any modern brand will work in it...think they are going for less than ten dolloars.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PA060033C-HLymanpress.jpg

chevyiron420
04-30-2007, 12:03 PM
i have had one since we started reloading, maybe about 1980. its a great old workhorse. you have to be carefull not to get the priming arm hung up in the works. some tears back we bought the adapters for the shell holders and the priming stud from lyman, maybe they still have them??-phil

floodgate
04-30-2007, 02:41 PM
ktw:

I have been looking ofr a "J" in the #9 size for over a year, with no success; it also took a while to find a #11. You're better off with the "J"-to-"X" adapters, and Randy Davis has them at <http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm>. Stay in touch with KCSO, too; he and I have swapped a bunch of "J's". The priming system - especially the weird auto primer feed - is a real"kloodge", and I prefer to re-prime off-line with a hand tool. If you leave out the priming stem, be sure to drop a short 1/4" machine screw into the hole to plug it; otherwise, primer grit will get into the mainshaft bearing.

floodgate

ktw
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I have been looking ofr a "J" in the #9 size for over a year, with no success; it also took a while to find a #11. You're better off with the "J"-to-"X" adapters, and Randy Davis has them at <http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm>.

Understand about the J-to-X adapter. I have one.

I am using these in Trueline Jr's rather than an AA. There isn't as much up-down working room in a TL-Jr and the adapter eats up some of it. There also isn't much room for the adapter set screw head that holds the modern shellholder in place and mine tends to work loose.

I can live with the adapter, but I am also keeping my eye out for #9 and #11. Randy still owes me a #11 holder from a previous exchange, and he sent me a #19 a while back when what I needed was a #9 (I made the mistake of specifying cartridge rather than shell holder number). Still a happy customer there. I understand the challenges of working with old tech.

Willing to trade a 19 for a 9. :-D

-ktw

Black Prince
04-30-2007, 08:28 PM
You can not beat a Lyman AA. I've got a Dillon 550-B with all the tricks, A Bonanza co-ax , but I USE the AA. Swagerman, yours looks like it is new. Mine has most of the red finish worn off from 40+ years of use. STill my favorite press and I've used them all.

d.thompson you found a jewel. Betcha you are gonna like it too!!! Just go ahead and get an adaptor for the shell holder so you can use regular shell holders because the J holders are getting REAL hard to find. It's no big deal to use it.

Swagerman
05-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Black Prince, I got the AA press from evilbay, from a gent up in Canada, 1/2 dozen years or so ago, it was originally the red color.

The red color was not faded at all, infact, looked nearly new condition...but couldn't stand the clash of color on my reloading desk with the rest of my stuff; so, took it all apart and painted it with Allis Challmers orange.

The turret came with the one die station dreaded shotgun oversize unknown big hole-- small thread. It stayed that way until Kenjuudo took pity on me and voluntered to mill it out and stick a Lee bushing addapter in his newelly made modern thread size. Jim did a fantastic job, and now all die station holes are able to accept the standard dies of 7/8 X 14 size.

This AA press is as good as the day it came from the factory. The stuff Lyman makes today doesn't hold a candle to the older AA model. It has strength and dependability that far exceeds their current offerings...and I love that turret.

I used it last night loading some different powder and bullet weight .44 special.

If you notice the little knob on the front of the shellholder area, that knob holds the primer catcher tray I made out of a piece of brass shim and the bottom of a plastic pill bottle...its located in the lower right hand corner of the picture.

Works really swell catching punched out primers, and when full just unscrew knob and dump the spent primers in the trash.

Jim

ez4545
05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
For some unknown reason I always thought the All American was a much smaller press. From the pictures the press looks massive. It looks like a real workhorse!

How does is compare is size and weight to the T-Mag presses?

Bill

Swagerman
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
The AA press is a big press, no doubt about that.

Its built very sturdy and solid, no wobbley linkage here, strong and smooth is its operation.

That's why I said in my opinion its better than anything Lyman makes today.

Here is a picture of all my presses on this desk, the AA is even larger than the Herters No. 3 on the far side.

Though I've got to admit to being a little weird on using a 310 seating die to seat my .44 and .45 caliber bullets...but when something works really good for you -- why change.

Jim
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PA060033presses600X.jpg

Notice how tiny the 310 press is compared to the AA.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8270020Lyman600Xcropped.jpg

This close up shows the once oversize shotgun die hole station that got re-threaded by Kenjuudo (Jim) to a Lee large bushing that accepts 7/8 X 14 dies. This classey gent even put a soft nose hex screw on the turret's edge. Thanks again, Jim.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8270020Lyman600XcroppedSGdiehole.jpg

If you look close, you'll see another reducer bushing that is a Lyman one of 5/8 X 30 size to accept a .44 special 310 seating die...which I really favor in that and .45 caliber.

d.thomson
05-01-2007, 12:19 PM
The way mine holds the shell holder is there is a little screw that holds the shell holder, or is this how the press holds the adapter. Dave T. The only thing I dont like about it is when you are depriming, the spent primers go all over the place. I was thinking of geting some plastic tubing and runing this from under the press to a wast basket. the press is so smooth, definatly two thumbs up. Dave T.

Swagerman
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
d.thomson, could you make a simple primer catcher like the one I made, brass shim and cut-off bottom of pill bottle w/hole drilled to attach a nut & screw.

Drill hole and tap it for the knurled knob in front allows easy on / off attachment of unit.

Jim

Notice the shellholder that fits the AA press and converts the J-type to X-type shellholder...its like a double stack unit.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8270025628X.jpg

Here's a better picture of the primer cup made from a bottom of a pill bottle.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8270024croppedat637X.jpg

d.thomson
05-01-2007, 02:42 PM
That looks preaty sweat I'll have to try somting like that Dave T.

ez4545
05-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Awesome press! Just the other day I was telling my son I have all the presses I need. Glad I didn't say "all I want". HE HE HE

The ram looks like it is over an inch and a half!

I gotta find one now!

Bill

dragonrider
05-02-2007, 06:33 PM
I was lucky enough to get an All American off of ebay a while back, it is a superior press in both size and smoothness of action, I also have a T-Mag and it is not even half the weight of the AA.

RoyRogers
05-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Well,

I too thought I had bought my last press but you guys have 'flung a cravin on me' (of Jerry Clower fame).

Found 2 All-Americans on another forum & bought them. One has 8 shell holders & the other has a universal holder. Both appear to be in good shape. I was going to by a Redding T-7 but bought these instead. Hope I like them :)

Now I need a larger loading room :(

Swagerman
05-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Wow, he bought two of them...lucky.

I once seen on fleebay a guy selling two AA presses, they were painted bright chrome over black, really stunning appearence in that mode.

But I'm happey with Allis Challmers orange. :drinks:

Jim

RoyRogers
05-19-2007, 06:00 PM
I REALLY like the orange too. Are you a professional equipment painter? Your job on that press looks first rate. Wish I had the time, energy, & equipment to do it. Now that I think of it, I do have a small blast cabinet & a spray gun so maybe I could refinish mine one day. How did you prep yours prior to painting?

As far as buying 2, I guess it does seem excessive but I am a nut for things mechanical & this guy had 2 for sale so I bought them. Will probably start seeing them for 1/3 what I paid every other week now but that's just how it goes for me :roll:

Since spare turrets don't seem to be available I plan to keep one AA set up for 8x57 & the other for 7.62x54. I still like my Dillon for pistol calibers & the co-ax for match & hunting loads.

Anyway, I have been wanting a turret such as the Redding T-7 for awhile and like its 7 hole plate but you guys' loving descriptions of your AA presses got me thinking and then boom - there were 2 nice looking ones for sale. I need to stay away from the for sale sections of these forums [smilie=1:

Swagerman
05-20-2007, 08:12 AM
RR, welcome to the AA owners association. The All American is great for loading work up loads on pistol and revolver loads as that is what I use mine for. But it should work fine for rifle as well.

As to painting my AA press, its no big deal if you want Allis Chalmers orange.

I took everything appart on the press that was easily removable, then cut thin cardboard (like the back of a writing tablet) and also rolled up letter paper, these were inserted in the screw holes and other orifices such as roller cam shaft.

The main shaft that the turret sets on was covered in masking tape for later easy removment...same with the guide shaf in rear.

Go to an Ace hardware store buy one can of KRYLON Farm & Implement spray can net weight of 12 oz. of #1820 Allis Chalmers Orange paint. It is the very same color as Lyman Orange.

I did not spray paint the bottom of the turret, but if rusty I'd clean it up first, then spray the top lightly couple of times, as well as the base.

Every screw hole had a little piece of rolled up paper an inch or so long inserted to keep the spray paint out of the threads. The same for the big 7/8X14 die threads only there I used the lite cardboard.

Any touch up can be easily done with an artist camel hair brush by spraying some well shaken paint into a small paint cup so the brush can reach it. This paint drys pretty fast, so work fast and smoothly.

Good luck on it, and lets see the results.

P.S. I did the same thing to my Lyman #45 lubesizer press, and a RCBS powder measure stand...sort of got carried away with the moment of it all. :mrgreen:

Jim :)

RoyRogers
05-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the painting tips. Did you do anything besides a solvent wipe down prior to painting yours?

Based on comments about the press' massivness I assumed that meant it was very strong. I hope it is well suited for rifle cartridge work. I don't do much case forming & no bullet swaging. I should ask more questions before buying things.

Swagerman
05-21-2007, 08:09 AM
First of all, I think the AA is strong enough to handle any rifle caliber under 50 MG. This press is double the strength of the current made Lyman turret, speaking in terms of the linkage. The turret is rock solid.

If your press is not greasy from bullet lube, then a simple wipe down is all that is needed...use a little solvent if it is dirty. (Mine happen to be pretty much like new)

Any bullet swaging work should be done on a single stage press, if you ever aspire to do that kind of bullet forming.

Jim

Bad Water Bill
05-22-2007, 01:51 PM
SWAGERMAN Baught mine in the 60s. The only problem I have is I cant find a way of Dismanteling it. I have kept it well lubed but would like to clean it and check for wear. The one major change I made was to copy the Dillon Roller handle. It is about 6 inches longer than the original turret handle. I find it makes life easier. BWB

Swagerman
05-22-2007, 05:13 PM
BWB, the only really trickey part about dismantling an AA press is the top black two piece knurled knob on the top of the turret...that is if you want to remove the turret.

I believe there are three hex screws holding it on to the main post. When taking this press apart it is strongly advised to put all screws and loose parts in tray to keep track of everything.

The third hex screw is on the underside of the turret and it has to be removed as well. Then the turret should come off...though it could be stuck from decades of being attached to your press. Use some WD-40 or other loosining solvent to free up the screws.

Also, you have to keep a sharp eye on the ball indent with its spring that is under the turret as you remove it.

From there it is just a matter of removing more hex screws on the roller cam to unassemble the rest.

Jim

argonaut
05-22-2007, 08:29 PM
I have one of these presses I paid 20 bucks for, but i had to make a shell holder, ( I had no idea someone made adapters for it.) I only use it to load .38 special, so one shell holder was all I needed, odd thing is, mine is a red in stead of orange, and it isn't a repaint. Soon I plan to move up a century and buy a dillion for my revolver ammunition.

Bad Water Bill
05-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the info. Now I know what to look for and how many. Only found one screw on the turret top and it wouldnt come loose. Now I know why. Will play with it this weekend. BTW have you ever tried PB Blaster on stuck nuts & bolts. Great stuff leaves wd 40 way behind BWB

floodgate
05-23-2007, 01:13 AM
argonaut:

Achshully, for some unknown reason, Lyman painted ALL the "All-American Turret" and single-station "All-American Comet" presses red instead of orange. These presses (also the little orange "Tru-Line Junior") all take a "J" shell-holder, and you can usually get these from Randy Davis (he also has the adapters, and may still have a few of the matching, longer primer-seating punches) at "The 310 Shop", now relocated to Tombstone, AZ.

floodgate

Swagerman
05-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Well, BadWaterBill, we are waiting for a report on your AA press. Did you get it all apart over the weekend??? :coffee:

Boz330
05-29-2007, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Bad Water Bill;185413]Thanks for the info. Now I know what to look for and how many. Only found one screw on the turret top and it wouldnt come loose. Now I know why. Will play with it this weekend. BTW have you ever tried PB Blaster on stuck nuts & bolts. Great stuff leaves wd 40 way behind.

PB Blaster is pretty good stuff but Kroil is better.
Any one have any experience with the old Ideal that looks just like the Trueline Jr? I have access to one for nothing. I have several sets of 310 dies that fit this press and was thinking that it would be pretty nice for work in the reloading room. The hand set up is nice for messing around at the range.

Bob

Swagerman
05-29-2007, 06:51 PM
I keep one Tru-line Jr. around for its early design nostalgia, but really favor the 310 seater dies for .44 special and .45 Colt work. They give an excellent crimp that is hard to beat with other 7/8X14 size seater dies.

Of course I have to use a reducer bushing to make it work in my AA press.

floodgate
05-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Boz:

"Any one have any experience with the old Ideal that looks just like the Trueline Jr? I have access to one for nothing."

There are two versions of the Tru-Line Jr. four-hole turret press, both Lyman orange. The older (1947) model has a single link on each side that runs from the handle toggle to a point on the shell carrier BEHIND the center-post; the later (1958?) one has an RCBS-type compound link giving more force to the stroke at the top of its travel: a short, straight link is pinned to the "elbow" of an L-shaped link that connects to the shell-carrier IN FRONT of the column. This later design permitted use of full-length sizing dies with pistol and short rifle cases. I have a couple of each, and they are nice little presses. The 310 dies will work in either model, but they take the special, small "J" shell-holders (an adapter is available to use standard shell-holders).

BUT, there was also a somewhat similar "Red Head" press, invented by Earl Naramore just before WW II, handed over to gunsmith C. C. Johnson when Naramore was recalled to service with Army Ordnance, and made until about 1959. As its name implies, it has a RED-painted three-hole turret and a black base and handle, and a guide rod on the carrier that goes through a hole in the turret to align it; it also takes 310 type dies, though Johnson made others of his own. If it is a "Red Head", we are currently trying to get more information on these; most have a serial number, and some have a two-digit date code, both stamped into the top of the center column, and Johnson's name is usually stamped into the links. A few were made around 1960 under the name "Printz", after Johnson retired from business.

If you - or anyone else here - has access to one of the Red Head presses, please PM me for follow-up.

There was also a small 3- (and later six-)hole turret press called the "Super Simplex", made in Australia starting in 1954; it takes dies similar to the 310's, but with a different thread, and is painted a bright blue. Our friend "four-finger Mick" has found a couple of these for me.

floodgate

Boz330
05-30-2007, 09:34 AM
I'll take a look at it this evening. It is not the one you are looking for since it is Lyman Orange. I am pretty sure it is the older of the 2. The handle is wood and it isn't built that stout. I think that you would be hard pressed to full length resize a rifle case with it.
If I remember correctly it has the 4 hole turret. There is a set of dies in the press but I have no idea what caliber it is set up for.

Bob

TAWILDCATT
05-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Swaggerman:I could be wrong but the large threaded hole was for shotgun dies.
Lyman made thead adapters to reduce the hole I have some I use in Herter press
made for 7/8x14 & 5/8x32? standard and truline dies.:coffee: :Fire:

floodgate
05-30-2007, 08:11 PM
TAWILDCATT:

The Lyman AA-Turret IS tapped 1.100" x 28 tpi in one hole, for their own shotshell dies (they are reported to have also made a shotshell only version, with all four stations tapped this size - it is a totally different thread and diameter from that used by RCBS, Hornady, etc.). The Tru-Line and 310 dies are threaded a scant 5/8" (actually about 0.610") x 30 tpi, a nutball size Ideal's John Barlow carried over from his work at Winchester on their loading tools when he founded Ideal in 1884-5; Lyman also used that 30 tpi pitch in other applications: the 310 expander buttons and the older decapping stems are 0.400 x 30 tpi, etc., etc.

floodgate

Bad Water Bill
05-31-2007, 03:50 AM
Well its finallt all back together again. Yes and it works Even after 40 years there are only 2 things I think Lyman should have done. First they should have taken a page from Herters. When Herters had a lock screw contacting threads they put a lead slug in the hole before the set screw. this way when you tightened the screw you did NOT damage the contacted threads as was a major problem on my top mast cap. 4 or 5 #6 shot fixed it. #2 would be a way to take any movement out of the main mast. If there is a way to remove either mast from the base I couldnt find it. Well it looks almost new now and travels smoother. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully it will keep going for another 40 years. BWB :drinks: :-D :-D :castmine:

Swagerman
05-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Yeppers, my AA came with the dreaded shotgun die hole weird die thread that is not available anymore...period. Only seen one of these forsale on ebay, but didn't need it by then.

Kenjuudo, cut and threaded a new hole that would accept the now made Lee adapter bushing they use on the Lee Classic press. Works great, and Jim also used a hex screw with a hard plastic tip that would not harm the threads.

Note: In this picture you can see the hex screw hole on edge of turret...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8270025628X.jpg

BadWaterBill, I never tried to remove the post on the AA press, merely used painters masking tape to cover it up when spraying the base of the press.

And how about some pictures of your restored paint job. :)

Jim

Bad Water Bill
06-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Swagerman Sorry no picturse. The only camera I have is an Argus C3 purchased in 1953. Dont think there is any way to transfer 35 mm negs to a puter. Never saw a need for another till now. Even if I had a better camera wouldnt know how to do more than I have on this site BWB :castmine:

RoyRogers
06-01-2007, 09:04 PM
My All Americans arrived today. One has a wood handle & one a plastic. They both appear to be in excellent working condition. Has anyone ever measured the turret deflection or compared bullet runout on a bottle neck cartridge loaded on one of these as compared to the same cartridge loaded on a high quality single stage press?

Hope to set one up tomorrow & play :-D

RoyRogers
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Well I loaded up some '06 on one of the All Americans today & compared bullet run-out to some factory loaded Winchester I had around. I used 3 brands of brass & the run-out averaged very close to the same as the factory winnies. The winnies were averaging about .004". The reloads averaged about .0035" so I guess these presses are about equal to or slightly better than factory loading machines as far as accuracy is concerned. None of my cases had the necks turned so I could probably do better if I wanted to go to the trouble to turn some case necks to round.

Guess there's nothing like answering your own question :drinks: