PDA

View Full Version : pt 1911 & lee 230 g tc

drumgool
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
I just started loading for a pt 1911. I have bought a lee 230 grain tc boolit mold . None of the reloading books I have has this boolit listed . But has loads for a 230 rn boolit . Case oal in the book was 1.270 but that's to long for my mag . I had to seat to 1.240 to function in the mag. I was just wondering what case oal you guys where using with this boolit

Dale53
07-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Here's a picture of the proper way to adjust overall cartridge length for YOUR 1911:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/1911Headspace.png

I shoot nothing but cast bullets in my 1911's and my Smith 625's. I adjust the overall length, as the picture shows, so that the base of the case is flush with the barrel hood. Of course, you have to remove the barrel from the pistol and use it as a gauge.

Dale53

drumgool
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks dale I took your advice and bumbed all my boolits down a little more . Went to the range this morning put 100 round through her and she functioned great not one jam. Slow fire and rapid fire not a single hicup. Loads where pretty accurately shows good potential and no leading . I have not shot a 1911 since old Army days 22 years ago . Sure was fun.

Dale53
07-08-2012, 04:18 PM
drumgool;
Sometimes it is quite confusing regarding over all length of the loaded round. That picture IS worth 1000 words.

Use data for any 230 gr bullet but seat the bullet as the picture shows (a flat nose bullet, like the Lee will always be shorter over all than a round nose). The Lee lead bullet will give you somewhat higher velocities than a comparable jacketed bullet (lubricated lead bullets have less barrel resistance) and better terminal performance.

I use the Lee bullet for quick reloads in my 625's. The truncated cone just seems to find the holes in the cylinder. It also gives good results in a 1911.

I find accuracy to be somewhat less than the Mihec 200 gr #68 SWC (Mihec home cast will shoot less than 1" at 25 yards and the Lee will shoot about 1 1/4" at 25 yards (plenty good enough for most anything except the highest level target shooting).

The Lee also will give you about 25% more effectiveness against a live target due to it's flat nose compared to hardball.

Happy to have been of help.

Dale53

Thanks dale I took your advice and bumbed all my boolits down a little more . Went to the range this morning put 100 round through her and she functioned great not one jam. Slow fire and rapid fire not a single hicup. Loads where pretty accurately shows good potential and no leading . I have not shot a 1911 since old Army days 22 years ago . Sure was fun.

DanM
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
That picture is great! I would make a good sticky....DanM

Moonie
07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
The above is exactly how I load all of my auto's. I load the 230gr Lee TC for my PT1911 and it works well when seated properly.

mortre
07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
I am using 1.20, which I believe is what my Lymans Cast bullet manual shows. I will double check the numbers when I get home. I was getting about 70 fps more than plated 230 RN bullets seated at 1.25" for the same powder charge.

Potsy
07-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Love that pic Dale.
Think I'll strip my Kimber down in a day or two and just see how mine chamber. I don't have a problem with the way it shoots now, but things can always be better! I also shoot a Miha H&G68 and a Lee 230TC.
I've always heard that a .45acp headspaces on the case mouth, accepted it as gospel, and went on. I've tried to seat my bullets out as far as possible, just being sure the fit in the mag and chamber, I never really thought about them headspacing on the bullet.
I'm also guessing that's for cast only, as it seems seating/headspacing jacketed bullets like that would raise pressures. (?)

TNFrank
07-11-2012, 10:21 AM
For my ATI 1911 and XD45 I was loading them 1.210" and they worked great. For the Lone Wolf barrel I put into my Glock G30 I have to load them 1.180" or the bullet runs into the rifling even after I opened up the throat. OAL of a 230gr XTP HP(also TC style ) is 1.230" and with the throat opened up they'll work in the LWD barrel because they're .451" but my cast are sized .452" and won't work at that length but at 1.180" they're far enough back that the taper of the cone reduces the size going into the rifling so that they'll work. If you do have to seat them a bit deeper then just cut back on your powder charge a couple tenths to make up the pressure difference.

drumgool
07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Here's a picture of the proper way to adjust overall cartridge length for YOUR 1911:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/1911Headspace.png

I shoot nothing but cast bullets in my 1911's and my Smith 625's. I adjust the overall length, as the picture shows, so that the base of the case is flush with the barrel hood. Of course, you have to remove the barrel from the pistol and use it as a gauge.

Dale53

Will this procedure work with other simi auto pistols like 24/7 9mm or XD 45 or is this just a 1911 thing.

gwpercle
07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
It's a shame all these loading books have fooled people into believing that seating a boolit to some magic oal lenght is going to make it right.
Dale53's method is exactly how I determine where to seat boolits in semi-auto, have absoulutely no idea what the measurement is, but it works. And it works for all auto's.

For revolvers seat the boolit into the crimping groove . Works every time and you dont have to measure anything.

gary

Dale53
07-11-2012, 02:24 PM
>>>I'm also guessing that's for cast only, as it seems seating/headspacing jacketed bullets like that would raise pressures. (?)<<<

Potsy;
Pressure is not a problem with jacketed bullets, but functioning may be a problem. If a lead bullet is a couple of thousandths too long, the lead will deform just enough when the slide goes forward that it conforms. However, copper jackets are so hard that they will just hold the slide open.

So, you seat jacketed bullets as the left photo show you - gives just a bit more clearance that jacketed needs.

Regarding the questions about other autos than the 1911. I personally cannot say. I will not give advice about something that I haven't personally experienced. However, that said, I would check out my other auto and chances are the same method will work. Just make up a couple of dummie rounds using this method. Then put them in the mag and with the slide back, trip the slide release. If the bullet feeds well, then you are good to go.

Since I load for both 1911's and Smith 625's, I have a replacement barrel that has a throat that is compatible with my 1911's. I use this "old" barrel as a gauge when setting up my Dillon for .45 ACP.

When loading .45 Auto Rim, I just adjust the first round by eye, then if it works well (both loading and accuracy as well as running across a chronograph, then I use the overall length measurement for future loads.

Dale53

ItZaLLgooD
07-16-2012, 10:12 PM
I use the Lee TL-230-TC mold and my PT1911 loves them. I load them to 1.185 with either Titegroup or HP-38. I have shot over 1000 of them this year at the USPSA matches with absolutely no trouble.

garym1a2
07-17-2012, 06:42 AM
I USE THIS PROCEDURE FOR MY GLOCK 22. IT RUNS 100% this way.It also fixed my early 45acp problems.

Will this procedure work with other simi auto pistols like 24/7 9mm or XD 45 or is this just a 1911 thing.

drumgool
07-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Well I ended up seating my 230 tc at 1.205 I shot over 300 rounds this weekend without a single problem . I also checked my 9 mm rounds using the above method .and re seated about 200 rounds deeper and they worked great .first time I shot more than 30 found without a jam . I have learned a great deal on this sight in the last few years my cast boolits just keep getting better .