PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube test

fecmech
07-07-2012, 02:20 PM
I went over to the range today to see what if any difference the lube made on an accurate plinking load for my Rossi 92 .357 rifle. I shot 2 10 shot groups with each of the 3 lubes at 100 yds. The lubes were Recluse (45-45-10), Magma and Carnauba Red on the Lee 158 TLSWC over 5.5 unique. This load runs 1100 fps out of my peep sighted 24" bbl. I heated the bullets in the oven to 180 deg to melt the CR and Magma on the bullets. The bullets were 50/50 WW/lead unsized and only visually inspected. Neither the gun nor operator are bench rest material but Recluse lube is clearly the winner here. The bottom plate of Magma had 2 bullets off and the bottom CR had 1. Just thought I'd share the results.

geargnasher
07-07-2012, 04:51 PM
So you "tumble lubed" with the Magma and Carnauba Red? If you do it that way, no wonder the Recluse Lube won out. If you had filled the grooves with the last two, things might have been different, although both are a bit too hard for your velocity and might not jettison the lube quickly enough or consistently enough at the muzzle for good accuracy. At 1100 fps you're in tumble-lube territory for sure, and if you fill the grooves a softer lube might be in order.

Gear

fecmech
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Gear--I basically put an even coating of Magma and CR on the TL bulllet the same as Recluse lube. The TL "groove" depth is only .006-.007", they were about as full as they are ever going to get. My impression is that the Lee TL design was to just hold a coating of lube similar to .22's. I don't think there would be any way to put any more lube on them. It was just something I wanted to try to see if it was any better than Recluse lube. Just an idea that didn't pan out.

geargnasher
07-07-2012, 07:33 PM
It might not have "panned out", but I sure think it was a useful test.

Gear