PDA

View Full Version : Barrel indexing

12DMAX
07-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Now that im off and running with my casting and have my BH shooting lead free I'm in the process of developing a load for it. It seems that it really likes to shoot left, my POI will move with sight adjustment but I have no more adjustment right. I have heard people talk of indexing issues with ruger barrels but im not familiar enough with this topic to say. I can sight down my barrel from the muzzle end and definitely see my front sight canted left ( in the drivers seat it would be canted right )
I would think this is not normal but i dont know so I am asking for some advice on this before I call ruger.

Tom

44man
07-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Now that im off and running with my casting and have my BH shooting lead free I'm in the process of developing a load for it. It seems that it really likes to shoot left, my POI will move with sight adjustment but I have no more adjustment right. I have heard people talk of indexing issues with ruger barrels but im not familiar enough with this topic to say. I can sight down my barrel from the muzzle end and definitely see my front sight canted left ( in the drivers seat it would be canted right )
I would think this is not normal but i dont know so I am asking for some advice on this before I call ruger.

Tom
It happens and many suggest tightening or loosening barrels but Ruger barrels are TIGHT already. I would not scrunch metal and let Ruger fix it.

gray wolf
07-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Does the pistol shoot left if someone else shoots it ?
have you shot from a solid rest like a sand bag ?
If the problem persist and you are sure the pistol is at fault,
do as 44 Man says
and call Ruger. Talk to Gill ( 1-603-865-2370 ) And the problem will be fixed in short order.

12DMAX
07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Does the pistol shoot left if someone else shoots it ?
have you shot from a solid rest like a sand bag ?
If the problem persist and you are sure the pistol is at fault,

It is not the shooter, It may be the load but i'm doubting that. Thats alot of adjustment.

white eagle
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Had the same issue as you
to correct it I sent it to Ruger and they sent me a
label and had it back to me tootsweet
send it in

12DMAX
07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
whiteeagle, did they replace your barrel or fix the original?

white eagle
07-07-2012, 08:15 PM
guessing........... they fixed the original
it was a fairly new revolver though

Silver Jack Hammer
07-07-2012, 09:41 PM
What is your group size? What distance? In handguns generally the size of a five (5) shot group at 25 yards is measured in inches. Handguns should be able to group under 2 1/2" at 25 yards. Humans have a challenge shooting the iron up to it's capability. How to you shoot it, one handed or two?