PDA

View Full Version : Buy lead bullets first then cast?

arthury
07-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi guys,

Since the lubrisizer's die and the mould size is dependent on the size of the bullet, it is highly vital to know what the optimal size of the bullet for my gun.

As it is, my gun is shooting pretty accurately with factory loads and hand loads based on plated and jacketed bullets that are sized for jacketed bullets. The question is this:
Is it more advisable to shoot factory leads (of different diameters, I can find them) and find out the optimal bullet diameter of what my gun likes or do you recommend me to go through the ins/outs of slugging the barrel and measuring the groove size?

Actually, when I looked at what Midway is selling, the sizer dies are standard sizes. Unless I'm not understanding correctly, wouldn't one defeat the purpose of buying a custom-made mould to make an optimal bullet for one's gun only to be re-sized to the standard size but the lubrisizer's die?

Is measuring all of the cylinder's chamber mouths using a caliber good enough to determine throat chamber size?

Please bear with me ... I'm a green horn when it comes to casting.

338RemUltraMag
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
The custom mold is not so much the size of the boolit but the shape/qualities it possesses. If you can do so cheaply I do not see a down side to buying factory boolits to start and then make your own.

.22-10-45
07-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Hello, arthury. You can never go wrong in finding the exact dimensions of your bore/groove and/or cyl. throat dia.'s. Trying factory lead bullets will work up to a point..I find most are cast of much too hard of an alloy for mid-range or light target loads, and the lube is not the best out there..being more of a hard wax..good for the commercial makers since it doesn't stick to one another..but not always optimum for accuracy. There are ways to custom fit the sizing dies to your particular firearm..custom machining..as advertised ..or by hand lapping yourself.

arthury
07-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks! That helped a lot.

I was reading Fryxell and Applegate's book and in it they specifically said there should be nothing made of Aluminum or Zinc touching the molten lead. Interesting that the current moulds sold by Lee are all aluminum. What are your thots on this?

captaint
07-06-2012, 06:07 PM
arthury - I'm sure Mr. Fryxell was referring to tools, pots, etc. He probably owns numerous aluminum molds, like the rest of us. No big deal. And, welcome to the madness. And - if you are going to get into castin your own, sooner or later, you will need to know your guns' groove dimensions and throat sizes. These are just things that matter, a lot. Again, welcome. enjoy Mike

clintsfolly
07-07-2012, 10:00 AM
No aluminum pot and tools because the of heat of molten lead can weaken them and may fail!! A ladle full of HOT lead SPATTERING ALL OVER is not the start of good things!! It's best to use steel,cast iron or stainless steel, Welcome to board and be safe and have fun. As far as sizer size as big as will fit is a great place to start. Take fired cases from your gun and measure the inside of the neck. That dia. will be very close to your sizer size. Clint

arthury
07-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Clint.

No aluminum pot and tools because the of heat of molten lead can weaken them and may fail!! [...]

Bear with me for the follow-up question: so, by the same token, wouldn't the molten lead that is poured into an aluminum mould weaken the mould as well?

mdi
07-07-2012, 12:18 PM
No, the molten alloy won't weaken aluminum molds (if it did I don't think Lee would have sold bazillions of aluminum molds). Don't overthink bullet casting (I know it's fun to run all these thoughts/questions around in your mind for a new undertaking/hobby). It's a rather simple process with a few intricacies/quirks. The best way to learn bullet casting, is to cast bullets.

I always suggest knowing (for sure) the dimensions of your gun. For a revolver, the first important dimension is the cylinder throats. Either slug the throats or use a pin guage. Calipers don't give a good measurement of an inside diameter so a slug or pin guage works best. Lead bullets work best if sized to the same diameter as the cylinder throats, which in 99% of today's guns will be larger than the groove diameter. For example; my Ruger S. Blackhawk has cylinder throats @ .431" and a groove diameter of .429"-.430". I size and shoot all the lead bullets used in that gun to .431" and I get very little or no leading and besy accuracy. For a semi-auto slug the bbl. and size (purchase) the bullets .002" over groove diameter.

It's good to slug the barrel also to know groove diameter and to detect any tight spots/constrictions or rough areas inside the barrel (Rugers are known for a constriction at the barrrel threads).

Store bought lead bullets will work OK, with the info above on hardness and lube taken into consideration, if you purchase the correct size (diameter). There are a few small differences loading lead instead of jacketed, but nothing that can't be learned in one or two sessions.

For a good refrence on bullet casting, get a Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook...

And K.I.S.S., and keep it fun.

clintsfolly
07-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Think of a pot with 20lbs of molten lead or a ladle with a 2lbs verses a mold with less than 1.5 oz. Thin pot thick mold. Also fill in your location with more detail and maybe some local caster may offer to mentor you. This will fast track your learning curve! Clint