PDA

View Full Version : Foie gras

gwpercle
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I read in the paper that Calif. has banned Fois Gras.

Now I live in south Louisiana, here between the cajuns , creole's , crackers and rednecks we eat just about everything that walks, swims , flys or burrows in the ground. The one thing I haven't seen or tried myself is this foie gras. My friend , Boudreax, said he thought it was duck liver. Now I know lots of folks don't care for the taste , personally I like liver and fried chicken liver is a favorite , but just because a few polititions don't like something is no reason to outlaw it.

If anyone has eaten this fois gras explain to me what it taste like and is it so good it has to be made illegal ?

If they try to outlaw stuff like hogshead cheese , boudin and cracklings around here them polititions going to get unelected real fast.

gary

slide
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
From what I read it is the animal rights groups again. Supposedly the duck growers feed the ducks tremendous amounts of corn causing them to become obese and their livers to store alot of fat around them. Their a quite a few large duck farms which will go out of business if this goe into effect. Some of these farms have been managed by the same family for generations. I don't care for it but some people do.

oneokie
07-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Or could be the method used by the French for feeding ducks and geese. They are force fed grain. Long slender funnel and a tamping stick.

KYCaster
07-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I read in the paper that Calif. has banned Fois Gras.

Now I live in south Louisiana, here between the cajuns , creole's , crackers and rednecks we eat just about everything that walks, swims , flys or burrows in the ground. The one thing I haven't seen or tried myself is this foie gras. My friend , Boudreax, said he thought it was duck liver. Now I know lots of folks don't care for the taste , personally I like liver and fried chicken liver is a favorite , but just because a few polititions don't like something is no reason to outlaw it.

If anyone has eaten this fois gras explain to me what it taste like and is it so good it has to be made illegal ?

If they try to outlaw stuff like hogshead cheese , boudin and cracklings around here them polititions going to get unelected real fast.

gary

:hijack:

OK, head cheese and cracklin's are something I can relate to, but I had to Google "boudin"..........apparently another one of those delicacies only a Cajun can love.

Looking through the various recipes, it seems that the only thing I've ever tasted that would come anywhere close would be something similar to "Boudin Noir" .....Grandma called it "Blood Pudding"..........like I said, something only a Cajun can love!

Anyhooooo...........that's not what this is about.......

While looking through the various boudin recipes I found a link on Wikipedia to "cracklings". The link sends me to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rind

Pork rinds................that's not cracklin's!!

Cracklin's are a by-product of rendering lard. The bits of meat, gristle and fat that didn't melt when heated. Pour off the liquid and wrap the rest in cheese cloth and put in the lard press..........what you have left is flakes and chunks of the greatest snacks ever created by the mind of man!

Pork rinds don't even come close. How anybody could confuse the two is beyond me.

Sooooo..........I'm done..........back to your regularly scheduled programming..........

Jerry

BTW.....Don't EVER try to tease the old mama barn cat with cracklin's..........you CAN'T jerk it away fast enough to save your fingers!!!!! :groner:

Mooseman
07-07-2012, 01:05 AM
The big fatty Liver produced by force feeding ducks and geese is very rich and flavorful.It has a very mild liver flavor and is a delicacy.
Everything Califoofoo does seems to be in "bad taste".
The Birds are harvested for the meat too, just like chickens and Turkeys so it makes no sense to outlaw it Just because of the growers stuffing the birds Like a fat gal at an all you can eat buffet...

Dale in Louisiana
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Cajun boudin is NOT the same as whatever the French (or their culinary posse) passes off under the same name.

Think of a savory, tasty dressing made of pork and rice and onions, celery and bell pepper, spiced with cayenne. Stuff it into a sausage casing, then dump it into a pot of simmering water for a few minutes to warm it completely through. If you like rice dressing, you'll LOVE boudin in Louisiana.

And a Cajun seven course meal? A yard of boudin and a six-pack

dale in Louisiana
(who ate boudin yesterday for lunch)

gwpercle
07-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Mooseman,
Thanks for explanation...it's fatty duck liver. that don't sound like it would taste bad if you like liver.

Jerry,
You are right on about cracklins they are not pork rinds and once you've tasted real cracklins , and it seems you have had the real thing and know the difference,
you throw rocks at pork rinds. The best is fresh ones still hot , just out the cook pot...oooh, now you done went and flung a craving on me, got to get some .

About boudin, there are 2 types , the boudin noir is made with hog blood the only place that makes it is T-Boys Slaughter House in Mamou. Handling and processing the blood has a bunch of Board Of Health regulations ( blood spoils easily ) they being a slaughter house are set up to do it. Most places that make it make boudin blanc ( white boudin ) the blood is what makes boudin noir black.
Now I have never had the black stuff. most people don't care for it. But I did go to T-Boys and I was going to try it, but it just didn't look appitizing at all so I chickened out. Maybe after a few beers I might could try it. I have a feeling it is similar to your grandma's blood pudding.
So most of the boudin made ,bought and consumed here is the white varity, no blood , just pork, rice ,onions and spices- some make it with pork liver added, my favorite. Good thing the cracklin place sell boudin too...I know what 's for lunch.

I hope I don't offend any body but I was raised on a farm, hunted and fished all my life...and coming from that back ground believe animals have rights.
When properly prepared they have the right to taste good.
gary

Hamish
07-07-2012, 12:16 PM
"I hope I don't offend any body"

If this thread has offended anyone they need a serious education in where their food comes from.

All you's have done is make me hungry!

olaf455
07-07-2012, 02:13 PM
"i hope i don't offend any body"

if this thread has offended anyone they need a serious education in where their food comes from.

All you's have done is make me hungry!

+1...

gbrown
07-07-2012, 02:29 PM
The Germans make Blutwurst, a spicy blood sausage, and its good. Boudain is something that SE TX and SW LA loves. Go in any grocery and there are at least 6 different brands. As Dale in LA says, nothing better. It's made with pork and chicken livers, along with the Cajun Trinity--Garlic, Onions and Peppers. If somebody says "this has too much garlic in it.", it's kinda like a sacrilege. I've only had foie gras one time, and it was kinda strong for me. I've had pate many times, even made it. It's good. This boils down to people wanting to impose their beliefs on others. Other cultures eat things we Americans would not. Dogs, horses, snakes, bird nests, snails, etc. The dog was the Native American MRE. I'll pass on judging others. It's hard for me to think of a duck having PTSD after being force fed. Of course, this does come from the land of the fruits and nuts.

gwpercle
07-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I got boudin and cracklins from the Best Stop in Scott , La. They put a good amount of liver in thier's thats why its my favorite, I like liver. Now I'm gonna set down with a box of crackers and satisfy that craving Jerry flung on me. I ate the cracklings while driving home , next time will buy an extra pound. You eat one and the next thing you know the bags empty...darn. If you ever around Scott go by the Best Stop Market. Some good eating comes outta that place.

gary

flounderman
07-07-2012, 08:18 PM
they use goose liver and originally they nailed the gooses feet down so it couldn't move. they rolled food into noodles and stuffed it down the gooses throat, where the expression noodling a goose came from. the more humane method was to confine the goose in a cage with its head sticking out so it could be noodled. I would imagine banning foi gra was an indirect way of stopping the noodling of geese and confining them. these same people are anti gun, anti hunting, anti eating animals. if they had their way we would live on turnips.

Gator 45/70
07-07-2012, 08:25 PM
I could almost walk there..I live that close and i may add i like Don's cracklin's as well...Have you tried his ?

I got boudin and cracklins from the Best Stop in Scott , La. They put a good amount of liver in thier's thats why its my favorite, I like liver. Now I'm gonna set down with a box of crackers and satisfy that craving Jerry flung on me. I ate the cracklings while driving home , next time will buy an extra pound. You eat one and the next thing you know the bags empty...darn. If you ever around Scott go by the Best Stop Market. Some good eating comes outta that place.

gary

BD
07-07-2012, 08:26 PM
If you want to be strict, "Foie Gras is a pate of goose liver. Duck liver is also made into pate, but it wouldn't be "foie gras" in the same sense that lumpfish roe is not "caviar", (sturgeon roe is caviar). The French do force feed the commercial geese to enlarge the livers. The smaller farmers just over feed the geese destined for Christmas dinner. The good stuff has an excellent light liver flavor and melts in your mouth like butter. It's expensive, even in France, and I've mostly enjoyed it around the holidays there, or a month later when the care package from my MIL got over here.
BD

geargnasher
07-08-2012, 04:36 AM
When I first read the title I thought he meant "Faux Grass", I don't think that would ever be outlawed in California!

Gear

DRNurse1
07-08-2012, 04:56 AM
Mooseman,
Thanks for explanation...it's fatty duck liver. that don't sound like it would taste bad if you like liver.

Jerry,
You are right on about cracklins they are not pork rinds and once you've tasted real cracklins , and it seems you have had the real thing and know the difference,
you throw rocks at pork rinds. The best is fresh ones still hot , just out the cook pot...oooh, now you done went and flung a craving on me, got to get some .

About boudin, there are 2 types , the boudin noir is made with hog blood the only place that makes it is T-Boys Slaughter House in Mamou. Handling and processing the blood has a bunch of Board Of Health regulations ( blood spoils easily ) they being a slaughter house are set up to do it. Most places that make it make boudin blanc ( white boudin ) the blood is what makes boudin noir black.
Now I have never had the black stuff. most people don't care for it. But I did go to T-Boys and I was going to try it, but it just didn't look appitizing at all so I chickened out. Maybe after a few beers I might could try it. I have a feeling it is similar to your grandma's blood pudding.
So most of the boudin made ,bought and consumed here is the white varity, no blood , just pork, rice ,onions and spices- some make it with pork liver added, my favorite. Good thing the cracklin place sell boudin too...I know what 's for lunch.

I hope I don't offend any body but I was raised on a farm, hunted and fished all my life...and coming from that back ground believe animals have rights.
When properly prepared they have the right to taste good.
gary

+1 for Gary. God dropped us off here with the power of choice. The rest of the animal kingdom lacks this ability.

These animal rights folks choose to treat animals like humans and see this as good. I choose to treat animals as a resource: take what you need and replace it. It is all about Husbandry.

Now, when the animal rights folks read this, they will probably try to outlaw marrying animals, except in California where it is likely already leagal. They just need to "marinate" one properly to "get it." Pass the Boudin, sounds delicious.

Just my $.02

Love Life
07-08-2012, 05:10 AM
MMMMMMmmmmm. It is the best with a slight coloring (read browning) and some fresh picked wild onions. If necessary you can use bacon to cut the flavor, but that is not good. My Ma makes a patee that can be spread on sourdough toast or any other tough bread. Gives you a solid fuel for those days that start around 60 degrees and peak around 110 degrees.

Man. I miss it!

gwpercle
07-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Gator 45 / 70 ,

Yes I have tried Don"s cracklins and Boudin. They got that big store right off Interstate I-10 and allways stop there when going west. They got good cracklins too and I like the boudin, they got good fried chicken also. The only thing I haven't tried is the smoked pork chop sandwhich . The guy's on boudinlink.com did a special review of this and gave that sandwhich a A++ rating but it's only served on Saturday morning. The only reason I go to Best Stop is they use more liver in thier's and I like liver. But not so much that I wouldn't stop at Don's since it's right on the Interstate and I'm usually in a hurry. Have you ever tried Don's pork chop sandwhich ?

frankenfab
07-08-2012, 12:53 PM
You guys are makin' me miss Louisiana! I spent 3 days in Lafayette a couple years ago. The white Boudin is ok, but my favorite sausage from down that way is Andouille. I bought 10 lbs. of gator tail meat and took it home. I like to fry it up in small chunks, just like venision. I would just as soon have gator.

As for the foie gras, I'm skeered!

Gator 45/70
07-08-2012, 01:27 PM
No..But i will now.!!!..I'm in Don's at least twice a week..Pick'n up patties and chicken in a blanket for the pit...Give me a shout when passing thru..I'm right there !

Gator 45 / 70 ,

Yes I have tried Don"s cracklins and Boudin. They got that big store right off Interstate I-10 and allways stop there when going west. They got good cracklins too and I like the boudin, they got good fried chicken also. The only thing I haven't tried is the smoked pork chop sandwhich . The guy's on boudinlink.com did a special review of this and gave that sandwhich a A++ rating but it's only served on Saturday morning. The only reason I go to Best Stop is they use more liver in thier's and I like liver. But not so much that I wouldn't stop at Don's since it's right on the Interstate and I'm usually in a hurry. Have you ever tried Don's pork chop sandwhich ?

Dale in Louisiana
07-08-2012, 05:38 PM
folks, if you're running up I-10 through south Louisiana, Don's Specialty Meats (take the Scott exit off I-10. Can't miss it!) is a good stop. When I was working in Alabama I picked up 25 pounds frozen to bring to the jobsite.

Further west, take the US 165 exit in Iowa, LA and go south to Rabideaux's (pronounced "rabid-oh's") and get some great boudin and smoked sausage. For a handy snack on the road, snag some boudin balls. That's the boudin stuffing molded into tennis ball size and then deep-fried.

Travelling further east, Exit 21 and a block north will get you to the Boiling Point. Great boudin there. I bought two pounds of regular and two pounds of spicy last Saturday.

Exit 20 and a half-mile north will get you Hollier's. You CAN pronounce that "holl-yers" but it's REALLY "Ole-yay's". The have great boudin there. They serve a lunch buffet from eleven to one on weekdays and you can't get in the place past 11:30 with all the people eating there.

There are several good places in Lake Charles, LA, but my favorite is Hackett's. Take the I-210 loop, then the Highway 14 exit and head south a few miles.. In addition to the standard boudin, they do a SMOKED version that will set you back on your heels, and they make non-traditional versions with either shrimp or crawfish.

Once you get west of Sulphur, you're on shaky ground for boudin. Most places in Texas can't even SPELL it, putting an "a" in it to make "boudain" and Lord only knows what they put in the stuffing. I brought some to my dear old dad and he swore there were cat toenails and pine needles in it. But it satisfies Texans, so go figure...

by the way, several of the better boudin places will ship long distances. Hackett's used to regularly ship boudin to the Alaska North Slope to help out Cajun oilmen.

And foie gras? Not Cajun, but I LOVE the stuff. A good foie gras doesn't need processing. it will spread just fine after cooking.

dale in Louisiana

gwpercle
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
If anybody is interested in finding boudin and other good things to eat go to this website www.boudinlink.com. These guys go to just about every place that serves it, they do a write up on each place , describe the eats and assign a letter grade to thier boudin. They have maps for locating the different places and all kinds of interesting info and pictures. Usually places that have good boudin have a lot of other good things like cracklins, andouille, tasso, and other smoked meats.

They even have trips mapped out highlighting places to stop at along the way,
it's a interesting site for us who enjoy good food.

gary

frankenfab
07-08-2012, 07:20 PM
folks, if you're running up I-10 through south Louisiana, Don's Specialty Meats (take the Scott exit off I-10. Can't miss it!)

Dale---Don's is where I ate the boudin at lunch and bought the gator meat. I ate at Fezzo's and Prejean's while I was in that area as well.

gwpercle
07-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Frankenfab'

For only being in La. three days you hit some of the best places to eat.
Take Prejeans...whenever I can go there I get the Smoked Duck and Andouille Gumbo. I don't know thier secrete to doing this dish but it is the darkest, most intensely flavored, truely cajun gumbo you will ever eat. It is totaly different from a creole seafood gumbo. If you ever get back order it and a side of potato salad...thats the classic cajun combo.

It's not like I can't cook a good pot of gumbo , I have spent years perfecting my recipe, and its good but compared to Prejeans Smoked Duck it's not even in the same class. If you didn't try it when you were here you need to make a special trip back just for that dish.

gary

Gliden07
08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Foie Gras as far as I know in this country is only Duck Liver, yes originally it was Goose liver. That said, it is one of the best things I ever put in my mouth!! I have a couple friends we all get together and cook crazy over the top dinners. We made it for a dinner we had one night. Super simple to make but very expensive!! We cut 1/2" slabs of the liver and scored it on each side salt and peppered it on both sides, into a smokin hot cast iron pan 20-30 seconds per side, drain on paper towels. We served it with sliced pears we poached in Port wine that we reduced to a suryup!! It was awesome!! If you really want to know about it Google Hudson Valley Foie Gras, they have a nice website explaning it way better than I could!

P.S. The "Loab" of Foie Gras we got was a Grade "B" (they have better but its just for looks, flavor is the same) and was $90 thru a chef friend of ours!!If you got what we made as an appeitiser at a high end resturant it would have cost $25-30 bucks for 2 pieces!!

gwpercle
08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I think I see why that dish is not real popular here...us frugal cajuns are not about to shell out that kind of money for so little food. $90.00 buys a lot of boudin , cracklins and beer .

gary

gbrown
08-09-2012, 09:11 PM
You know, it's like the people on Ebay. Some people there just have to have something that is hard to find, and they are willing to pay the bucks. More power to them. I understand that some people have lots of money and will pay the bucks for whatever turns them on. Because of who I am and how I was raised, I'm not in that mindset. Dale in Louisiana and gwpercle seem to share my mindset, as I read their posts. It all boils down to what you want, what you will settle for, how much money you are willing to spend, and how you were raised (value system/beliefs?) Me, I'm happy with pork pate. May not impress anyone, but good. Not to raise any religious issues, but would not like to meet my parents or grandparents in Heaven and have to explain why I paid $90.00 for 2 pieces of foie gras.:cry:

Dale in Louisiana
08-10-2012, 03:09 PM
gbrown-
Thanks for the pat on the back. I do occasionally indulge in the odd bit of more expensive cuisine, usually because I developed a taste for the exotic, but last time I had biryani at an Indian (dot, not feather) restaurant, I commented to my buddy, a young engineer with Bangladeshi parents, that Grandma would certainly recognize biryani as jambalaya with a different spice set. And biryani WAS NOT expensive.

I am amused at the people who will pay through the nose for some 'delicacy' because they're told that really sophisticated tastes demand that they enjoy such a thing.

dale in Louisiana

gwpercle
08-10-2012, 04:11 PM
gbrown,

I admit it...I'm frugal. My mom was born and raised just outside Beaumont Texas in the 1930's depression , she went through some hard times but knew how to not waste anything . It just got passed on to me. Can't stand to waste or spend more than I have to for anything. I'm always trying to make things myself instead of buying them...drives my wife crazy.

And if my mom found out I spent $90.00 on two pieces of duck liver she would tan my hide good. " if you mind the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves " direct quote from my mom .

gary

gbrown
08-10-2012, 08:02 PM
gwpercle--same problem here. Try to make do with what I got and my wife is just like that. "Why don't you just go buy it!" Not my way, and I ain't apologizing!! Just look at the last of my quote.
Dale--I'm the same, I splurge from time to time. Wife wants to go to a place, or I want Sushi. I can blow some money on those, but most of the time, run of the mill, simple stuff like we talked about in Cabbage Patch.

Gliden07
08-12-2012, 01:51 AM
gbrown,

I admit it...I'm frugal. My mom was born and raised just outside Beaumont Texas in the 1930's depression , she went through some hard times but knew how to not waste anything . It just got passed on to me. Can't stand to waste or spend more than I have to for anything. I'm always trying to make things myself instead of buying them...drives my wife crazy.

And if my mom found out I spent $90.00 on two pieces of duck liver she would tan my hide good. " if you mind the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves " direct quote from my mom .

gary

The whole loab cost $90 not 2 pieces. I'm frugal too but good food is good food. I was offered an oppurtunity to try it so I did. Our dinners are usually based on Wild Game, Deer, Rabbit, Phesant, Wild Boar etc... We have some connections in the Culinary world. To come to our dinners the "Buy in" is a Dish of some sort, thats how the Foie Gras showed up. And it was spectacular!!