PDA

View Full Version : New to PB boolits... a few questions

bigdawg86
07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Hey guys... I have been "lurking" here on CB for a few weeks now, but now I am ready for my inaugural post. I have searched around a bit, but haven't found quite what I am looking for.

Long story short, my grandfathers friend died. I ended up with all his reloading gear. I have maybe 2000-3000 rounds of various cast bullets. I started a thread on CalGuns with them telling me to come here. There are pictures of the projectiles used on the thread below.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=586088

Pictures of my projectiles...
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/bigdawg86/DSC_0010.jpg

Just yesterday I loaded up about 40 rounds of unknown brand, 148g hollow base wadcutters with 3.3g of unique powder. I shot them out of my 6" Colt 357 King Cobra. Everything seemed to go well. I did get some leading in the maybe 1st inch of the barrel, but the rest was clean. Accuracy was good too.

Questions:
1.) Do wadcutters need to be lubed?
2.) Since I already have the boolits (all marked .358 diameter) is there any thing special I should be aware of to prevent leading?
3.) If I do get leading, is there any truth to "shoot FMJ after to clean the barrel"?
4.) Should I keep the loads mild to prevent leading? (I don't have a chrono).
5.) Any shared "pet loads" would be greatly appreciated. (I have unique/bullseye)

Thanks in advance!

Walt
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
The HBWC on the right side of your picture is a Hornady. They use a lube that covers the bullet, some will come off when handling them. The little waffles help hold a bit extra. Shoot those as is. I load them flush seated in 38 special cases with 2.8 Bullseye for the HB style and 3.1 Bullseye for the button nose.

The other WCs are lubed more conventionally, as are the SWC and the TC bullets. The Lyman #49 manual would have all the info you need for loading these and many more cast bullets. You should invest in one. :)

I don't shoot FMJs to clean barrels, proper loads in good guns don't leave enough lead to really be a concern when cleaning.

Lead bullets can be fired at very high velocties without leading, again if done right in a good gun.

bigdawg86
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks... I do want to slug my barrel for future purchases, where would I get the lead shot to do it? I looked on midway, but I end up with shotgun supplies.

olaf455
07-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks... I do want to slug my barrel for future purchases, where would I get the lead shot to do it? I looked on midway, but I end up with shotgun supplies.

I use egg sinkers found at the baitshop.

44man
07-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I use round muzzle loader balls to slug.
PB can be shot at unreal velocities by just working the alloy.
Lube all boolits, your choice but sometimes a regular lube is best over tumble lube. I shoot piles of TL boolits with Felix lube, I kind of do not like Alox. It does work for some though.
I want you to be aware there is a whole world of lubes, most work under certain circumstances.
I would not shoot jacketed to remove leading, just clean your gun first and after jacketed.
You are OK, have fun.

bigdawg86
07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
The HBWC on the right side of your picture is a Hornady. They use a lube that covers the bullet, some will come off when handling them. The little waffles help hold a bit extra. Shoot those as is. I load them flush seated in 38 special cases with 2.8 Bullseye for the HB style and 3.1 Bullseye for the button nose.

The other WCs are lubed more conventionally, as are the SWC and the TC bullets. The Lyman #49 manual would have all the info you need for loading these and many more cast bullets. You should invest in one. :)

I don't shoot FMJs to clean barrels, proper loads in good guns don't leave enough lead to really be a concern when cleaning.

Lead bullets can be fired at very high velocties without leading, again if done right in a good gun.

I have a Lyman 47th, Speer Loading Manual, and a little spiral bound "Complete Reloading guide to the .357 magnum".

Walt
07-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Lyman's 47th will be fine for you to use with Unique and Bullseye as your powders. Some of the newest powders won't be included but that is just fine right now. What # is the Speer manual? BTW....you can't have too many manuals. :)

bigdawg86
07-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Speer manual is #11, and I actually have an entire rubbermade crate full of various reloading books. Kinda overwhelming so I have been cross referencing the 3 I listed...but prior to this I have only loaded .223 for my AR.

Walt
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Speer manual is #11, and I actually have an entire rubbermade crate full of various reloading books. Kinda overwhelming so I have been cross referencing the 3 I listed...but prior to this I have only loaded .223 for my AR.

You're lucky to have them for reference. Some of the oldies have collectors value if in nice shape too. The #11 will serve you well.

Muskyjerk
07-08-2012, 08:28 AM
I use egg sinkers found at the baitshop.

I had to chuckle at this. Does California even have lead sinkers? Make sure your sinkers are pure lead. When I looked for some at wAlly in WI they were a blend and not soft lead.

44man
07-08-2012, 09:36 AM
I had to chuckle at this. Does California even have lead sinkers? Make sure your sinkers are pure lead. When I looked for some at wAlly in WI they were a blend and not soft lead.
Good pickup! Kalifornia is a lead free zone since most of today's movie stars are brain dead from sniffing WW's on road sides. [smilie=1:
They have smog from cars but they have not figured out it is because you need to drive hundreds of miles to get to work because nobody can afford to live close to work. A billion cars parked on freeways every day.
Look at how any things are not for sale in Kalifornia. Even a lawn mower must be specific.
Good people live there and many shooters but they are under the thumb of the liberals. Liberals soiled the nest.
Now take a look at Obama Care. He said you need to prove you have insurance on your tax return. There are millions and millions that do not file a return because they are on SS or do not make enough. Who is left? Yes the working person that is barely getting by.
Not a rant, just something to give thought to.

canyon-ghost
07-08-2012, 10:13 AM
"shoot FMJ after to clean the barrel"?

Unless the copper attracts lead, in which case, you'll be scrubbing severe leading out of the barrel! You stand a 50/50 chance of that happening, it is a better idea to clean all the copper fouling out a few times.

Then I'd pick up some mineral spirits paint thinner, to use on lead bullet rounds. Copper solvents aren't all that great.

The Hornady with the knurling has a mica lube, same thing we use to keep lubed bullets from sticking together. Your wadcutters should give you tons of shooting, up to about 50 yards. Lotsa great plinking time for you!

Unique powder is probably the easiest to use, and very gradual and stable for reloading. Bullseye is a pretty quick powder. Nothing wrong with either, I have both myself.

Slow loads and jacketed bullets won't keep your guns clean. Good lube and decent midrange loads are more in order.

Good Luck,
Ron

In conventional lube, I use Carnuba Red:

http://www.lsstuff.com/