PDA

View Full Version : Deer load???

Lefty SRH
07-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I have found a very accurate load using a 38-150KT RCBS boolit and 7.9gr of 231 (suppodely 1250FPS). It prints very tight at 25yds. If I use AC-WW would this be enough to bring down a Whitetail reliably. I know shot placement is the key but would like some other input here....

jhalcott
07-05-2012, 10:50 PM
what gun and is it a LEGAL load where YOU hunt? I'd tst it on some wet pack at 50 yards to SEE what damage it does. I KNOW deer can be killed with some wimpy loads, but that doesn't make it right.

Lefty SRH
07-05-2012, 10:54 PM
what gun and is it a LEGAL load where YOU hunt? I'd tst it on some wet pack at 50 yards to SEE what damage it does. I KNOW deer can be killed with some wimpy loads, but that doesn't make it right.

Good idea, my state (Alabama) requires 4" barrel hangun and mushrooming/expanding ammunition. I'll try a wet pack shot as season approaches.

richhodg66
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
A lot depends on how patient and willing to settle for a leser deer you are. If I absolutely had to have a Boone and Crocket buck, I'd carry something mre powerful.

I have a stand where I have frequently had does and fawns milling around within spitting distance unaware or me being there. It has a skirt of camo netting around it and is about 13 feet off the ground. I know bowhunters who routinely get this close too. At that distance, I know I could dispatch one with a load like you describe. Kansas has an odd definition for what a legal pistol is for deer hunting and if I recall it has to be a six inch and the .357 Magnum sort of sets the minimum standard.

I'm pretty sure you can do it cleanly, just please make sure everything is right before taking the shot.

runfiverun
07-06-2012, 12:49 AM
you can most likely soften the alloy a bit.
shooting down through a shoulder blade will do the trick.

GabbyM
07-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Have a few cousins and there group of friends who've been shooting deer here in Illinois with .357 magnums since IL started the handgun hunting. To here them talk the 357 is plenty of gun for the 110 to 260 pound corn munchers we have. All think they kill faster than a shotgun foster type slug. Never was impressed with those hollow soft lead slugs which really don’t penetrate well at all.

I don't like those big charges of fast powder. I'd save that WW231 for 38 Specail loads. Use AA#9 or 2400 for the 357 magnum.

quilbilly
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
My 45 cal muzzlloader shooting a 132 gr patched round ball kills deer reliably at velocities down to 900 fps (that is at about 100m with an MV of 1800 fps). If you use a softer alloy, your boolit should expand to at least 45 cal or much larger at 900 fps. Your 1250 fps load should work just fine out to 75+ yards if you place your shot properly.

Junior1942
07-07-2012, 09:00 AM
I have found a very accurate load using a 38-150KT RCBS boolit and 7.9gr of 231 (suppodely 1250FPS). It prints very tight at 25yds. If I use AC-WW would this be enough to bring down a Whitetail reliably. I know shot placement is the key but would like some other input here....Yes, but with a big BUT. Make sure you have the will power/nerve/patience to wait for a side-on, standing deer at a proper, short range.

Proper range = the longest distance from which--in a hunting position--you can put 10 of 10 rounds in a 9" styro plate. From an off-hand or side-of-tree position with a fast-beating heart, with a scope I guess that distance @ 75 yards but with iron sights make it 50 yards.

Wolfer
07-08-2012, 09:07 AM
That load will reliably kill a whitetail if placed in the right spot. I would prefer to break at least one shoulder.
Since I find placing a boolit on game is more difficult than targets my personal range is half the distance that I can hold all my shots on an 8" paper plate.

gon2shoot
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Have to agree with Jr. on this one. The round is good within it's, and your limitations. People kill deer with a sharp stick, but they dont do it at 200 yds, get the right shot and it works.