PDA

View Full Version : Lead analysis

Kirk Miller
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Does anyone know of some one or somewhere in northern/central Utah that could analyze a couple of lead ingots for me? I'm more than willing to pay for the service, whatever it may be.

The situation I've got is a frustrating one. For several years, my self imposed torture has been working up consistently accurate loads for my inherited Rem. 222 mag. Talk about a humbling experience. Boolits, lube, primer, case, and powder, everything has to be perfect.

Just when i thought I'd kicked butt on most of the gremlins, another one came to life. After trying at least six different alloy combo's. the planets lined up, the sun shone, My pot quit leaking and I hit the jack pot with the RIGHT alloy. After mixing 20 lbs. or so life was good. Fast forward to March of this year and brilliant me mixes 144 lbs of my super duper, captain space, cub scout 22 CF alloy and it's not the same hardness or color.

I'm thinking that it needs more tin, but I'd sure like to know for sure. Hence, my plea for help.

Kirk

tonyjones
07-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Rotometals can provide as analysis of your alloy. The last time I checked they charged $75 for this service.

TJ

guidogoose
07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I would try a scrap yard near you. Bring beer or at least coffee and donuts.....

Bob Krack
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I canNOT remember who, but we have one or more members who have or have access to an XREF (or whatever) machine that can tell what the composition is and - when it was born (not really). But, yes, what it's composition is.

Bob