PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby barrel

milkman
07-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Weatherby Vangard, 30-06

It wouldn't shoot my .309 sized, gas checked worth shucks. I slugged the barrel and got .311. Isn't that awfully large for a modern 30 cal barrel?

Lee has a .312 dia. for 303 brit, would that be a good choice or would I be better off with the 8mm, .324 and sizing back to a smaller diameter?

Bass Ackward
07-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Weatherby Vangard, 30-06

It wouldn't shoot my .309 sized, gas checked worth shucks. I slugged the barrel and got .311. Isn't that awfully large for a modern 30 cal barrel?

Lee has a .312 dia. for 303 brit, would that be a good choice or would I be better off with the 8mm, .324 and sizing back to a smaller diameter?

Milkman,

To answer your question, .... yes. .311 would be a large groove measurement for today's 30 caliber barrels. After you double check your measurements, you might want to take a look at the 314299 if you want to stay with a factory mold.

Otherwise, a custom mold has the entire world open to ya.

http://www.mountainmolds.com/

StarMetal
07-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Milkman

That's a shocker that a modern 30 caliber barrel slugs out that large. The worse one I've ever seen, that wasn't shot out, was a Ruger that slugged .3095 and that was new. My goodness, is that weahterby shot out?

Joe

milkman
07-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Brand new rifle. There hasn't been 100 bullets of any kind down the barrel.

I re-slugged it. Drove a .35 pistol bullet through the barrel from muzzle to action and re-measured. I'm still really new to this so if that isn't a good method, please let me know. Using a vernier caliper it reads .310 or .311 with the jaws not on any of the grooves. Even with a magnifying glass its about a toss-up. Tried a second caliper and micrometer and all read about the same.

I would consider getting rid of it but it shoots jacketed really well and I can't see why it wouldn't be able to shoot real bullets as well. ( I think I may be getting too caught up in this cast thing.)

Terrel

StarMetal
07-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Milkman

Take the slug to a person that has a mic. 0 to 1 inch mic would be fine. I don't know what kind of vernier calipers you have, some of them can be very accurate, but the mic's are the best. You gave a pretty large, for measures in the thousandths, .310 to .311. The way you drove the slug should get you in the ball park. You just had better be careful when pounding it in the muzzle making sure you use something that would hurt it, like a plastic mallet. Then be careful to start it into the bore with a short starter rod, making sure not to touch the crown or sides of the bore.

I just can't believe it's that large of a bore, not calling you a liar, just amazed at Weatherby's quality control.

Joe

StarMetal
07-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Milkman

Almost forgot. Instead of messing around with it call Weatherby and talk to their service department. I'm sure they will want it back to correct the problem.

Joe

milkman
07-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Starmetal, both calipers were Mitutoyo and one was calibrated 12/23/04, The micrometer was a POC Chinese thing which read .313 and I don't know how to read the 4th place.

I think I wll take your advice and give Weatherby a call. Thanks

milkman