PDA

View Full Version : NAA Mini 22Mag.

Tom-ADC
07-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Local dealer has these on sale for $199 they look well built and for the price could be a fun little revolver.
Anybody own one? Good/Bad?

tek4260
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
They are neat but pretty much worthless for anything other than looking at. They are too small to be a trail gun. Oh yea, and they misfire horribly. I have owned a couple as have many that I know. I don't think any of us own them anymore.

I suppose they are "cute" in a belt buckle.

bigboredad
07-05-2012, 09:58 PM
that's interesting to hear that you had such bad luck with them having misfires. I don't own one and never have how ever I have a friend that has a couple black widows shoots them regularly and has nothing but good things to say. There also is quite a few shooters that come the range that shoot them and I've never witnessed a misfire. How ever as far as the usefulness I can't find a reason to own them but they are cute to look at and have come out with some new cool models they even make a laser for them now. I am very interested to hear of others experiences with them

freedom475
07-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I have had several and they all have really been great little guns with a few "issues"...my review would be:

Never tried the Earl, but sure would like to. Probly the best thing NAA has going IMO.

The baby 22short is just too small to do much with but does give you a tiny, 5 shot, deadly, package...Killed a few coyotes out of traps with it so I can say it has plenty of point blank killing power..and very loud! Nice to always have a very deep cover gun available.

The Black Widow 17HMR was powerful but the bullets would not stabilize and the bullets keyholed.

The standard "Mini's" dont really have sights, so it just doesn't serve much use...in the magnum they sure do POP!! I would avoid these if you have any hopes of actually woods-walking or taget shooting with them.

The Mini-Master 22LR/Mag ...I have the one with the fixed sights and both LR and Magnum cylinders...this is an awsome little gun....It does make a great little trail gun. During my trapping years I used the Mini-Master to shoot an un-known number of squirrels, rabbits and "other bait animals. Many of these shots were outside of 25yards. I shot lots of trapped animals with it and the little Mini-Master has proved its worth and accuracy so well through my experience with it that I would have no doubts about even killing deer with it out to 25 yards if I needed/wanted to. I do think that a steady diet of magnums would wear it out pretty fast, but LR's work for most plinking, and general packing anyway...the magnums are very accurate from mine and the power in such a small package will really get your attention:holysheep

W.R.Buchanan
07-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I have a NAA Mini Master in .22 LR. with the 4" barrel. Looks like a Mini Python. I got it specifically to use as a trail gun, it weighs 12 OZ loaded! and it is more than enough to deal with the kind of Varmints I would run into hiking in the hills above Santa Barbara CA. It is also totally conceilable and nobody would ever know you had it on you unless you got strip searched.

I don't know how it could misfire. It is a single action revolver with a stiff trigger, and a heavy hammer spring too. You definately have to keep the hammer down in one of the notches between the chambers for saftey and I have seen a guy here who carried one of the small ones daily in his pants pocket with an O-ring around the Hammer holding it down. He could quickly slip the o ring if needed even while in his pocket. Draw and fire coming right out of the pocket.

They are well made guns. If you do get one make sure it is a .22 magnum one. I am sending mine back to NAA soon to have a new .22 mag cylinder fitted. It is a $50 trip.

I can hit beer cans regularly at 10-15 yards, but my gun has good adjustable sights and a 4" barrel.

I have been looking at a PUG model lately as it is the short version of the Mini Master or Black Widow. It would be my Urban Carry Gun when I do trips to Walmart in Oxnard CA. Completely undectable and weighs nothing to carry in a pocket and yet could deliver a serious close quarter blow.

It could definately save your ****.

Randy

Tom-ADC
07-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Would like to thank all for the great reviews, it was a toss up for mr the mini mag or a Phoenix Hp 22 but I think the 22 mag is going to be my choice based on the above reviews.
Thanks Tom

tek4260
07-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Well heck we must have gotten a bad run. The were the little 22mags without the nicer sights like the more recent offerings. I guess they were the standard mini. I have literally seen them snap on all 5 chambers, then fire all 5 the next trip around. But for $100 we had to have one! Maybe they have got better in the past 10 or so years and the sights would definitely be a plus.

If you wanted a little kit gun, the Bearcat would be a better choice in my opinion.

Nazgul
07-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Mine has the 22 mag and 22 lr cylinders. No problems or misfires. Good little pocket guns.

Don

Bret4207
07-06-2012, 07:20 AM
I used a Black Widow some years back for a few days. Very nice hide out gun. I know of a Mini-Master that I want, but the price the owner demands is nuts.

I never had a misfire and could hit very well with the one I used. Loading was slow, but not terrible. I've always had a soft spot for them with the 4" barrel and over sized grip. The little belt buckle types I have no use for.

bigboredad
07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Well heck we must have gotten a bad run. The were the little 22mags without the nicer sights like the more recent offerings. I guess they were the standard mini. I have literally seen them snap on all 5 chambers, then fire all 5 the next trip around. But for $100 we had to have one! Maybe they have got better in the past 10 or so years and the sights would definitely be a plus.

If you wanted a little kit gun, the Bearcat would be a better choice in my opinion.

I know when they first came out they were not very highly thought of but you had the option of the little freedom guns at that time. Since then they have made some pretty good improvements and they sure don't cost a 100 bucks anymore

tek4260
07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I know when they first came out they were not very highly thought of but you had the option of the little freedom guns at that time. Since then they have made some pretty good improvements and they sure don't cost a 100 bucks anymore

I see that now. Still less than $200 wholesale which is cheap nowadays I suppose. I noticed they had some of the Earl's and Sheriffs in stock. The octagon is pretty sharp, but the front sights look a bit crappy.

troy_mclure
07-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I have the .22lr mini. It goes everywhere with me in my jeans watch pocket. I can hit all 5 shots in a human silhouette at 10'. It just takes practice.

beemer
07-06-2012, 10:58 PM
I had one in 22 LR, it shot fine and never misfired with good ammo. The problem was that a couple of days in a sweaty hip pocket ruined the 22 ammo. It would draw enough moisture to make it go pooh if it poohed at all. If I had to buy another it would be a 22 mag and use jacketed ammo that is properly crimped and seal the case. I'am not knocking the gun, there were no problems with the quality it just wasn't suited for my purpose.

It was replaced with a Beretta 950.

Thundarstick
07-06-2012, 11:12 PM
I have the Black Widow and a 22LR with a 1 1/8 barrel. The Black Widow is'nt much with the LR cylinder, but with the 22 Mags it is great, although very LOUD! I can hit beer cans at 10 to 12 paces on a regular basis with the mags.. I am a bicycle rider and I always cary the little LR model loaded with rat shot for dogs. I have yet to have a dog continue the chase when it's discharged into the ditch in front of him. I use rat shot so there are no errent bullets or damage, but at nearly impact range it can still impart a real sting. I made a pocket holster for the Black Widow and you can't even tell it's in a a pocket from the outside as it breaks up the silouette of the gun.
Only problem I have ever encountered is that the fired cartrige has to be able to move back into the chamber a little after being fired or it will lock the gun! If you keep the chambers clean I would say they are good for 5 go rounds or more. The chamber fouling is not unique to this revolver, as I have seen some full size 22lr revolvers do the same thing.

AR-15 Cowboy
07-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I have the .22 wasp and I love it. Never had a misfire. The one problem I had was I broke the cylinder pin pushing a empty shell out ( it was my fault I shot some older ammo in the gun and one shell stuck in the cylinder, I used the cylinder rod to extract it and just smashed it too hard. NAA replaced it no questions asked. I love my little gun and carry it everywhere. Great for snakes out here on the ranch.

smoked turkey
07-07-2012, 01:46 AM
I have the 22 mag/22 LR combo. I really like it and take it with me quite often. Especially when I am fishing on the river. I normally don't kill snakes unless they be the poison variety. It is not uncommon to run into those along the river bank. I use the mag cyclinder and load up two or three shot loads along with a couple of HPs.
I want to take the opportunity to put in a plug for the manufacturer's wonderful customer service. I had a LR version that was in a truck that burned. The little revolver was damaged beyond use or repair. I returned the revolver with an explanation of what happen and wondered if it could be fixed. They returned a brand new one to me at no charge what so ever. I thought that was exceptional customer service.

AR-15 Cowboy
07-07-2012, 03:27 AM
I agree on the customer service. They look at every customer as an advertisement of their guns. It was such a good feeling dealing with a nice customer service rep who wasn't in a hurry or trying to squeeze another dollar out of you. I guess that's a testimony of why they have been so successful.

Tom-ADC
07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I should send this to NAA some great reviews here.
You make good sales pitch more the 22 mag going to drive up and get one.

Combat Diver
07-07-2012, 10:16 PM
I've got a NAA Mini in .22LR with 1 1/8" bbl nearly 20 yrs ago.. I normally carry it in my watch pocket of my jeans as backup or a third gun. Never had a single misfire out of it including Remington Golden Bullets. My oldest son bought a .22 WMR version last year and carries it as backup to his G30. If I was to buy a new one I'll be looking at the Ranger which NAA makes and is a 5 shot Top Break .22 WMR verison.

Freedom Arms (of Casull fame) used to make a version but stopped production (both the FA and NAA were designed by Dick Casull). CA makes a look a like now known as the Dixie also.

CD

snowwolfe
07-08-2012, 12:24 AM
They are neat but pretty much worthless for anything other than looking at. They are too small to be a trail gun. Oh yea, and they misfire horribly. I have owned a couple as have many that I know. I don't think any of us own them anymore.

I suppose they are "cute" in a belt buckle.

Amazing there is such a difference between your experiences and mine. I bought and sold two over the years and after missing the last one picked up a 4 inch Black Widow model with both cylinders about 2 years ago. Never had a misfire with any of the models I owned. Pretty accurate little suckers as well. Sure, they are hard to shoot because they are small and have a short sighting radius. But bet if mine was in a Ransom rest it would shoot 2 inches or under at 25 yards. My only real complaint is the triggers are pretty stiff.

PS: I used mine recently to kill a 120 pound halibut before we brought it on the boat:)

429421Cowboy
07-08-2012, 12:57 AM
I kinda think they look like a neat carry piece but only in the mag varity, i would like one for the price and it would mean i could have a gun CONSTANTLY, as well as a backup for the bigger carry piece. Wouldn't take one to a gunfight if i knew i was going and wouldn't be cool using it as a primary but i would really like one just to have! Nice to know so many guys like them.