PDA

View Full Version : What is your upper limit?

saguaro
07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Temp is now 103 in Northern Illinois. I think I'll pass on casting until it gets a lot cooler. When do y'all quit casting?

SK

dragonrider
07-05-2012, 04:11 PM
No limit, my shop has A/C.

rockrat
07-05-2012, 04:12 PM
No limit really. Don't have A/C, but well insulated, so it doesn't get too hot.

slide
07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
We hit 100 Wednesday. Got a new mold in and had to try it out. Was under a shade tree with a nice breeze. Still soaked with sweat when I got done.

runfiverun
07-05-2012, 04:20 PM
it's about 65 and raining occasionally today.
my shop stays in the 60-70 temp most all year by opening and closing windows,and using a heater.
i usually cast in the winter when it's 20 or 20 below whichever.
i installed an a/c unit when i first bought the house,,and then hauled it to the dump as it was never turned on.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I was visiting my parents yesterday with the family , moms thermometer read 108 in the mid afternoon , i thought the remote probe was in the sun , nope north side of the garage in the shade of the big maple

i have seen 103-104 several times recently.

last time i casted was a few weeks ago when i could get up and cast before work it was 60-70 , if i have to wear long pants a long shirt and boots , and do something i like to enjoy, it will wait unless i am all out of boolits and need them.

i casted up a bunch back in early spring to hold me over thru the heat.

upper limit is high 70s unless i really need them

go ahead and call me a fair weather caster i can live with that

Bad Water Bill
07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Last time I checked it read 103 and that was at 11 AM. Don't have the nerve to look till night time.

The bad part is I just got a nice 228 mould to use on my Savage 99. Have had the 22 Hi Power for about 50 years and now I have the makings and no I am not going to try casting till the heat goes away.

By the way what is this air conditioning you folks talk about?

375RUGER
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Bill,
Don't mind that air conditioning stuff just water drop :drinks: instead to stay cool:)
Nice mule by the way.

The hotter it gets the more desire I have to pour some. I have AC in my lead shed. I have a swamp cooler for the house which is economical to run. If the humidity gets too much higher than 25%, then I have to turn on the house AC--OUCH$$$$
Makes we wish I was at 7500' instead of 6000'

Bad Water Bill
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Bill,
Don't mind that air conditioning stuff just water drop :drinks: instead to stay cool:)
Nice mule by the way.'

Adding humidity is not an option when it reads 80% water around Lake Michigan.

I have kinda grown attached to Girty myself.

koehn,jim
07-05-2012, 07:29 PM
No limit here except time, casting room is in the garage and it has an air conditioner, but its only been in the high 70s low 80s a good summer so far. You can keep the heat and the humity I like the cooler weather we are having. Summer is usually for playing with hot rods.

gew98
07-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Well ; at work the past two days it was hot..humid and you know what !. A young black fella ( 29 ) about melted like chocolate today... I had to get him out of his harness and put him in the breeze ( yeah what breeze ! ) . I thought the kid was gonna stroke out bad.
I caried his weight and got him where he could motivate to his car at the end of the day...he's a good fella just not used to extremes. Anyhow yesterday when I passed the Flaherty HS on 144 and it said 104 degrees... ( Rineyville said 106 I recall ) and today it was flashing 109 !!!! on the way home ( approx 3:45 pm ) .
My garden has been scorched for the past two weeks , corn all but dead and my tomato plants not fairing much better. About the only things growing with zeal are my hot bannana peppers and jalepenos.

geargnasher
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
No limit, my shop has A/C.

It gets well over 100 every day of the summer here with pretty high humidity, so when I built my reloading room I installed a casting hood with with 6" steel ductwork and an exhaust fan and AC piped in. As long as I can buy electricity and it's available, I'll never be hot casting again.

Gear

Jeffrey
07-05-2012, 08:14 PM
A real measure of heat is "wet bulb". This takes into account humidity. To measure "wet bulb" get a thermometer, wrap the sensing element in a square of toilet paper, wet the paper with water, set it in moving air. A "wet bulb" temperature in the 70s is getting warm. 75 to 80... HOT. The lower the humidity, the lower the "wet bulb". The higher the humidity, the higher the wet bulb as lower humidity will evaporate water off the paper thus cooling the thermometer.

jcwit
07-05-2012, 08:59 PM
It got to 100 degrees here today. I quit all activity at 95 degrees, and maybe even lower than that with very high humidity.

I learned way to late to not smoke, I how pay for my folly. Take note those of you who still feel the need for cigarettes.

Thumbcocker
07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Went shooting for a couple hours on the fourth, try to every year, no problem with frostbite.

bowfin
07-05-2012, 11:26 PM
I worked most of my life in factories without air conditioning, so I guess I got used to it. I feel like a sissy when I meet up with someone still working in those places.

My theory is that it takes less propane to smelt lead when it is 105° than when it is 70°, so hot days are the best time to do so.

bowfin
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
About the only things growing with zeal are my hot bannana peppers and jalepenos.

Peppers dearly love the heat if they get enough water. My serrano and chile plants would absolutely load up with peppers during the hot weeks.

geargnasher
07-05-2012, 11:39 PM
It got to 100 degrees here today. I quit all activity at 95 degrees, and maybe even lower than that with very high humidity.

I learned way to late to not smoke, I how pay for my folly. Take note those of you who still feel the need for cigarettes.

Thanks for that reminder. I haven't had a cigarette this year, and only a couple packs last year total, been trying to quit a pack-a-day habit I picked up in college for some time now. I miss it like heck, but having turned the corner of youth it's time to take that poison load off my body. I was shocked the other day to learn that smokes are now $5-7 per pack! I couldn't believe it, but it was even more incentive to stay quit.

Gear

Bret4207
07-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Last time I checked it read 103 and that was at 11 AM. Don't have the nerve to look till night time.

The bad part is I just got a nice 228 mould to use on my Savage 99. Have had the 22 Hi Power for about 50 years and now I have the makings and no I am not going to try casting till the heat goes away.

By the way what is this air conditioning you folks talk about?

Lucky dog! I always wanted a Hi Power or Zipper.

troy_mclure
07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I feel lucky, we are only at the normal mid 90s in south Louisiana.
My parents are at 103 with no power still in southern Ohio.

41 mag fan
07-06-2012, 09:48 AM
If I break a sweat just moving around in the garage, it's to hot for me.

imashooter2
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Call me a sissy, but I don't like to cast when it is over 70 degrees. Cast all winter, shoot all summer is my philosophy.

Y2K
07-06-2012, 05:11 PM
On the 4th it was 103 in the shop and a friend was dripping shot. I wasn't doing much except welding in a feed truck.

Both were dripping sweat!!!!

EDK
07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I worked for over 40 years in coal fired power plants...d*** place was hot year round! UNLESS you were freezing your a** off working on equipment outside that broke down in winter! I retired on the first of January this year and my "immunity to heat" got misplaced sometime afterwards. Today is the 9th straight day of 100+ here in Saint Louis MO area...one or two more days, per the weather man. BUT he's been wrong a few times in the past.

I'm getting low on 44 boolits AND MIHEC has a 434640 hollow point mould headed my way. Soooo maybe the heat will go away and the mould will arrive next week.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
My house is a 2 story duplex with a full attic.
I cast in the 2nd floor kitchen, at least it doesn't get as hot as a "story and a half" style house.

anyway, No A.C. and a room temp of 85ºF with a fan on is my limit...86º and I'm done !
Jon

Jim
07-06-2012, 09:25 PM
I was smelting range lead last weekend in 105*. I looked like somebody had turned a garden hose on me.

NSP64
07-06-2012, 11:07 PM
I work all the time in this heat.
I wait till it gets dark and cools down to 95 or so, to change the oil in the autos and cast. If I get to hot, I go jump in the pool. It is a cool 88 today. LOL