PDA

View Full Version : Change GP-100 barrel from full lug to half lug?

FergusonTO35
07-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Hey guys. I have a Ruger GP-100 with 4.2" full lug barrel and adjustable sights. I like the gun very much but I do not care at all for the full underlug barrel. It adds needless weight to an already heavy gun and makes it feel very muzzle heavy. Ruger never did produce a Geep with a 4.2" half lug barrel and adjustable sights. I wonder how feasible it would be for a gunsmith to change the profile to that of a half lug barrel? I know it sounds like I'm choking on gnats but I've handled the half lug fixed sight guns before and they have a much better feel to me.

theperfessor
07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Used to own a Security Six with a 4" barrel and half underlug. Thought it balanced pretty nice. I will follow this thread as I have a GP100 like yours and have wondered how it would be if some of the extra iron was removed.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I have the 6" Half Lug, and it is much lighter than Katie's 4" full lug.

Good Luck,

Sam :D

fecmech
07-05-2012, 01:59 PM
If it's stainless it would be a piece of cake, grind it off, dress it with files and wet/dry paper. Voila, half lug!

FergusonTO35
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm going to talk to a couple of local gunsmiths about this project. I think that it wouldn't cost too much if the job could be done without removing the barrel from the gun. I also have a 4" Service Six and it feels way better although its not much smaller. I love the Ruger DA revolvers and really would like to see them come out with a true K-frame size gun with six shots of .38 Special or (please, please, please) .32 H&R.

bobthenailer
07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
If your handy you could do it yourself without to much of a problem , either grind of mill of whats not wanted & dress with a file & sandpaper. should only take a few hours but go slow its not a race.

FergusonTO35
07-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh yes, I'm tempted. I think I'm going to get a pro to do it because I want it to look as close to the factory half lug barrel as possible. If I ever have to sell it the nice appearance might actually bring more money than leaving it the way it is. My bluing and polishing skills are pretty rudimentary. If it was stainless, or was a total beater, I might take a whack at it.

Salmoneye
07-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I do not remember the site, but I indeed saw this exact thing done online in the not to distant past...

I love my half-lug 4" GP, and the fixed sights do not bother me...

PacMan
07-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I have the 6" Half Lug, and it is much lighter than Katie's 4" full lug.

Good Luck,

You know i thought so myself but the postal scales puts my 4"full lug gun 3ozs less than my 6"half lug gun.
When you pick them up though the 6" does indeed feel lighter for some reason.Go figure!

Mk42gunner
07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I've had both the 6" and 4" full lugged GP-100's. When I had the money the half lugs weren't available or were only the fixed sight version.

Anybody know if the half lug has the removeable front sight?

Robert

fecmech
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Mine does.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Mine Also.

Salmoneye
07-05-2012, 11:15 PM
I've had both the 6" and 4" full lugged GP-100's. When I had the money the half lugs weren't available or were only the fixed sight version.

Robert

My half-lug 4" fixed sight (KGPF-340) front sight is roll pinned...

http://i48.tinypic.com/o6znth.jpg

FergusonTO35
07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I found that Gemini Customs, a firm which makes custom GP's, is located about 3 miles form my work. I contacted them and they said they could do it but the price quoted was really high. I'm going to contact a couple of other smiths and see about it.

44man
07-07-2012, 01:42 PM
This is a hard call for me. Shooting a 10" SRH off hand had the barrel dip down all the time until I got used to it. I shoot 7-1/2" with no problems.
Then I go to the Mark II's that are real light and I can not hold the silly things still anymore. They are just too light. I can't answer but if you go too light you might get the wobbles like me.

paul h
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
It's not just light vs. heavy, but where the gun balances. I agree on the mk II, I had a 4" which I simply couldn't shoot offhand, have a 5 1/2" which is better but still hard to hold steady. I shoot my 7 1/2" SRH fairly well offhand, and will be adding either a 4 or 6" gp-100 to the stable, depending on how they balance for me. I'm leaning towards 6" due to the longer sight radius and my eyes aging. I'm waiting for a 6 1/2" barrel to arrive for my blackhawk to replace the 4 5/8" tube. Kinda mute as I've scoped it, but there is something to be said for proper balance.

454gene
07-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Would it be easier to drill out the lug, make it hollow then plug the end?

FergusonTO35
07-09-2012, 10:01 AM
It might be, but I also want the look of the half lug in addition to the lower weight. Full lugs just don't look good in my eyes, especially when the barrel and the top rib are already really thick. Gemini Customs is out, they only do full tilt custom work. A gunsmith friend of mine quoted me $150.00 so I'm probably going to go with that when I get the cash. Really, I would prefer to just screw on a factory half lug barrel but good luck finding one.

FergusonTO35
07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Well, I won a half lug .357 Service Six barrel on Fleabay for $25.00 bucks. Anyone know if it could be modified to work on the GP?

Mk42gunner
07-23-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking the threads will be too small, but I don't know for sure.

Robert

FergusonTO35
07-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Its at home so I'll compare it when I get a chance. I know the threaded shank on the GP barrel is longer than the Six series, however it doesn't look particularly thick. If the threads are the same I would think the smith could just extend the shank by cutting away the extra metal.

FergusonTO35
07-26-2012, 09:59 AM
I compared the Service Six barrel to the GP-100 and I think it will work with some modification. The barrel shank of the GP is about 1/8" longer but appears to be the same size. The slot in the underlug of the Service Six will have to be enlarged a little and the front crane latch removed, also a taller front sight will be necessary. Otherwise this should be something my gunsmith can handle no problem. I'm amazed at how much more lightweight the Service Six barrel is compared to the GP, should make it a much better handling sixgun.

olafhardt
07-27-2012, 04:17 AM
I have wondered if this could be done to a 3in s&w model 60 . I wouldn't mind getting some of the other fat off the barrel.

GP100man
07-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Rugers really don`t like the barrels removed once in the frame !!
or any make for that matter , they all depend on a "crush" fit to hold em now.

FergusonTO35
07-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I guess I will find out. My gunsmith is very knowledgable and if he thinks it will be a problem I'll just have the original barrel trimmed.