PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence lead shot, which?

Darto
07-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I can buy shot locally Lawrence brand in some sizes there are two choices at the same price:

Lawrence chilled lead shot.
Lawrence magnum lead shot.

Is there much difference between the two?
:confused:

376Steyr
07-05-2012, 12:25 PM
The "magnum" shot contains antimony to make it harder. Harder shot gives tighter patterns with fewer flyers. If they are the same price, and you are loading shotshells, you'll probably want to use the magnum shot.

shotman
07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
depends on the size really. the mag shot is better for the small size because it is harder. but after about size 6 and larger it wont show much different

Kskybroom
07-05-2012, 07:05 PM
+
I use chilled shot for skeet. Because local its two bucks a bag cheaper.
Magmun for trap. For mixing a alloy I think Magnum would be better..

Darto
07-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the true clue folks :)

UNIQUEDOT
07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Chilled shot has 0.5 to 2.0% antimony with the smallest sizes having the most and magnum shot has 3.0 to 6.0 % antimony also with the smallest sizes having the most an example in the magnum shot would be when you get up into sizes as large as number five shot the antimony level is about 4.0 to 5.0 %. If you want to duplicate cheap walmart loads or if you are flush shooting birds or close range targets you will likely want to use chilled shot, but if you want to duplicate top quality field and target loads for longer range patterns you will have to choose magnum or plated shot.

Although some manufacturers actually print the antimony percentage on the bag it can never be accurate due to rejects being mixed back in from lot to lot and grade to grade and that's why there is such a large gap in the percentage. Both types of shot have arsenic in them which aids in quench hardening and is required for surface tension. The higher antimony content in smaller sizes is required to make the smaller pellets round.