PDA

View Full Version : Lee 3 Hole Turret Press

garym1a2
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Just wondering if this is a avaliable in autoindex. It does not show this on Lee site.
I load lee 45acp on their 4 hole classic turrent press. But I only use 3 stages and think I will be faster with a 3 hole autoindex turrent press as I save a stroke.

Or better yet, does anyone have a 3 hole conversion for the LCT.

44Vaquero
07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Since the introduction of the 4-hole version's Lee no longer offers the 3 hole unit with an auto index. I like my 3 hole unit. I have thought about converting it over to 4 and decided I would rather just buy a 4 hole classic and add it too the bench.
If I were you, I would place a taper crimp die (part# 90785) in the 4th position and call it a day. At least you won't feel like you are wasting a stroke.

44Vaquero
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't think it's possible to convert an LCT to 3-holes, the operating rod would be an inch too short. The parts could be swapped out but you would loose the auto index feature. The LCT has a longer stroke then the smaller aluminum based unit.

joec
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM
They still sell the 3 hole turret press at https://fsreloading.com/lee-turret-press-90496.html

Now based on the manual and pictures of the 3 hole it appears to have an indexing rod. You might also consider just the parts to convert your 4 hole back to 3 hole.

44Vaquero
07-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry, Joe Lee no longer sells the 3 hole with auto index. In fact the link you posted clearly show a 3 hole with out an index rod. Some of the distributors also still have older pics posted too.

The LCT has a longer stroke than any of the original 3 hole turrets, it is possible to swap out the turret head ring with a three hole unit but it would not be auto indexing.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-05-2012, 11:50 PM
I've been using a three holer for quite some time and just couldn't see the point of converting it up to 4 hole turrets. Main reason is I've got 8-9 turrets already set up and a bunch of plastic ratchets just in case the one in the press fails. It just keeps going on without a hitch. From the beginning I did the decapping on a separate press because the 3 hole press (and probably the 4 hole one as well) has a spent primer system that did not please me. Spent primers if they went into the base, filled it up quickly unless there was a hole drilled in the bench under the base. For a while I used an empty tuna can rigged up under the bench hole; it worked ok. The "other press" decapping also allowed the use of the crimp die on pistol/3 die sets which was another reason to not go to the 4 hole conversion. The press itself is kind of a weird (looking) contraption, but it does its job well and doesn't take up a lot of space. It can be mounted on a wooden box(once supplied by Lee)(clamped to just about anything) and as such was made readily portable. The easy conversion to left-handed use was of some interest to me as a southpaw. I also rigged up a powder measure on some threaded rod and small platform (with some extra lock rings) that delivers powder down through the "thru the expander die" whenever it comes around under the measure. Its a versatile, handy and strong little press that has always done a good job for me. LLS

geargnasher
07-06-2012, 12:07 AM
I didn't know they discontinued the auto-index on the three hole, that's good to know.

A few years ago I was in an ancient hardware store and behind the gun counter I happened to see a dusty old box on a shelf that contained and auto-index conversion kit. Evidently the three-hole turret press did not originally come with one. Seeing the age, I offered $10, half the asking price and they gladly sold it to me. There was another, I was tempted to buy them both, but the only reason I bought it at all was for the cast aluminum ratchet housing, since my more modern one was black plastic and was damaged slightly by spent primers getting stuck under it on the downstroke and forcing them when trying to seat a new primer on the press. Anyway, the kit came with a new ram with the slot cut in it for the cross-bolt that holds the ratchet housing on, a new top-plate with a thumbwheel detent pressure adjustment, rod, ratchets and some other odds and ends. I took the auto-index rod and an extra one I had from a Pro-1000 press and welded them together to make a rod the correct length for my Classic Turret four-hole so I could convert it to three if I wanted.

By the way, LLS, the CLASSIC Turret is not even close to the same animal as the regular turret, and has what I consider the best primer catcher ever made for any press, any time, period. No more primer grit on the ram, and no more dirty, spent primers going everywhere or collecting in the base. You should check it out if you like the Lee turret, although you'll need to convert to 4-hole and with the turret heads going for nearly $12 each now that could get expensive.

Gear

milprileb
07-07-2012, 08:04 AM
I have a 3 Hole that I converted to 4 Hole. I use this press solely for 9mm pistol reloading and find the 4 Hole conversion to be the ticket for my needs. I feed the press primed and sized 9mm brass: Station 1 is M Die, Station 2 is powder charge with Lee Pro measure, Statiion 3 is bullet seat, Station 4 is crimp.

If I did rifle : Station 1 is FL size,prime, Station 2 is M die, Station 3 is powder charge, Station 4 is seat bullets.

I just could not see a need for 3 Hole turrets when the 4 Hole conversion offered me the use of a M die in my cast bullet loading sequence.

I only wish there was a 5 hole turret press. I would put a powder check die in the sequence. Of course, I could do that on a 4 Hole
if I seated and crimped in one step for pistol loading. However, with all the drama I have had with 9mm cast bullet loading and swaging
of bullets, I won't try to seat and crimp in one step.

That 9mm tapered case has been a plague for me to cope with .

AW738
07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
How do you keep the plastic ratchet from stripping out on the inside? After just a few strokes mine always strip out and I just removed them and indexed manually.

r1kk1
07-27-2013, 08:56 AM
By the way, LLS, the CLASSIC Turret is not even close to the same animal as the regular turret, and has what I consider the best primer catcher ever made for any press, any time, period. No more primer grit on the ram, and no more dirty, spent primers going everywhere or collecting in the base.
Gear

Gotta love the through the ram primer disposal method. I have two presses with a third one on the way with the feature. Not any of the three are from same manufacturer, still being made and predate the Lee with this feature. I don't care for primer grit getting everywhere either.

Take care

r1kk1

44Vaquero
07-27-2013, 10:41 AM
aw738, There are a few things you can do if using a 3 hole:

1. Polish the operating rod and apply a coat of wax to it
2. reduce the diameter if the plastic ratchet
3. polish the internal side of the casting that the plastic ratchet bears against

The ratchet most often fails for 2 reasons:

1. The clamp is too tight causing the ratchet to bind.
2. short stroking the press

When adjusting the index:

1. fully raise and lower the ram
2. turn the adjusting ratchet counterclockwise only! until the turret aligns
3. the clamp/nut/bolt only needs to be tight enough to retard the rotation of the steel adjusting ratchet.

I have also found that due to manufacturing variances several of my 3 hole turret's has a preferred orientation of the index rod assembly as it is inserted into the turret head. I just mark them with a sharpie marker when I find the one combo that works best.

Hope this helps.