PDA

View Full Version : 35 remington with staked primers

handyman25
07-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Went to load some W-W cases that were primed. Got the brass from my dad (with the rifle)and where he got them he did not say. He bought ammo, brass when ever he found it. I full length sized the brass removing the unfired primer as I do not trust unknown primers, powder and loaded ammo. When I tryed to seat a new primer it would not go.:?: I took a close look at the primer area and it had a military type crimp. 5.56, 7.62 even 30-06 I can understand, but 35 remington? Anyone else run across this.?

Mk42gunner
07-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Not in .35 Remington, but I have seen pictures of W-W .38-40 brass with crimped in primers. That is the only other purely civilian round that I can remember having crimped in primers.

Robert

35remington
07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Perhaps you could show us a photo?

WW cases are not crimped in any variant I have seen, factory ammo or unfired cases for sale. Been loading them for years. Not sure where yours came from, but I can assure you that crimping primers in 35 Remington cases is not the common situation.

Should a crimp be present, it can be easily removed with the same tools that do large primer military brass.

handyman25
07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
First I don't know how to post a picture here. I have asked how to do it but the responce was "What are you using?" I did not respond because the question is so vage that I did not know what the question was. Was it what calber?, what kind of camera?, what kind of computer?.

Secondly I was not thinking and removed the military type crimp so I could load them, for that I am sorry to all of the members who read this post. A mistake on my part.

Eutectic
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Many, many, and maybe another many years ago, maybe this was so? Sometime also way back I recall something to do with the Model 8 and backing out primers?

I had a few boxes of Super-X from the 40's or 50's that looked like primers were crimped but they weren't! Maybe it was brass that was prepped for crimping and wasn't? Looks like WW2 ammo that was crimped with an annular ring.... These .35 Rem are about that old as well.

Still had a box of brass.... Here's what they looked like.

Eutectic

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35RemSuper-X.jpg

handyman25
07-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Eulectic thanks for the picture. That looks like what I have/had. I could not get the primer to go in, maybe they were catching on that in ring. Looks alot like the old WW2 military brass too me. If it is not a crimp ring then what do you think the purpose is?

Eutectic
07-07-2012, 09:15 AM
If it is not a crimp ring then what do you think the purpose is?

I can only speculate, but I think the older brass design was either in stock at the factory still. or possibly the tooling to make it was still prepping the brass for crimp but the crimping process was discontinued? Like I said, my half century + old memory seems to recall hearing the un-crimped primers were backing out or causing some problems in the early semi-autos.

Eutectic

leadman
07-07-2012, 07:06 PM
The Model 8 Remingtons were used by police and prison guards so this may be the reason for a crimp?