PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic Cleaner for 22 LR/Mag Brass

deltaenterprizes
07-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Big or little Harbor Freight model or something else?

Utah Shooter
07-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I must admit that when I used my friends it did not work all that well. Just a jug with Distilled water and Lemi Shine seems to work for me.

deltaenterprizes
07-04-2012, 06:56 PM
How long did you leave the brass in the cleaner?
I want to remove the grit from the priming compound.

Utah Shooter
07-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Generally for 4-5 hours. The biggest issue that I have found is getting the crud out of the case. The stuff just does not dissolve out of there. You really have to shake them vigorously after you have cleaned them to get it all out.

There also generally some always left in the rim that will not come out until after you de rim and anneal them. I am really listening to when I de rim them to see if there is a crunch sound.

Oh and I always throw them back into the solution (after annealing) over night. They come out looking cleaner than Copper jackets. But that is where the solution gets real dirty.

newcastter
07-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Problem with the small one from Harbor freight is it shuts itself off after 3min, I have used it and it works fine as long as you are in the same room for about 10 sessions and you can only clean about 300-400 at a time, I use it and it works for me but I also paid $23 for it

dragon813gt
07-04-2012, 08:04 PM
The 2.5L version that HF sells is the same as the Lyman. But it doesn't have the basket, which you want. You can buy the basket from Lyman but at that point you might as well just buy the whole unit since the cost is the same.

I really want to open my Lyman up and get rid of the timer. It has a max eight minute cycle. With a citric acid sollution if takes a few cycles to clean the brass completely. But I've been able to bring back brass that was almost black to shiny and looking like new.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

MIBULLETS
07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Sometimes you can't just throw brass in it and have it come out clean. You need to play around with the position of you container, like the basket mentioned. Once you get it in the right spot, the brass will be shaking violently. This will get the priming mix out.

newcastter
07-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Sometimes you can't just throw brass in it and have it come out clean. You need to play around with the position of you container, like the basket mentioned. Once you get it in the right spot, the brass will be shaking violently. This will get the priming mix out.

I actually mix my batch about 5 times and it seems to make a big difference as the further away from the base the vibrations weaken

MIBULLETS
07-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes, once you find the right spot for your machine, you're set. I ran mine at 480 sec 3 times and that worked for me.

marten
07-18-2012, 01:30 AM
I have a heated ultrasonic for cleaning 22lr brass, set to 80ºC, spoon of citric and 1/2 a dish washer tab then switch it on!
Do not be afraid to stir the cases around in the basket, ultrasonics rarely work as a set and forget when cleaning anything. You should see the amount of poop that come out after an hour!
I have been using them for nearly 40 years and still have my big Kerry unit for cleaning bike parts in the garage!

RobsTV
07-18-2012, 08:52 AM
The 2.5L version that HF sells is the same as the Lyman. But it doesn't have the basket, which you want. You can buy the basket from Lyman but at that point you might as well just buy the whole unit since the cost is the same.

I found a glass pan in the cupboard, possibly for meat loaf or a bread loaf, and it fits perfectly into the HF large Ultrasonic cleaner. First cycle contains 40% vinegar, dash of Bar Keepers Friend, and 60% water. Next cycle skips the vingar and repeat cycle with same fluid until clean, stiring between cycles. After clean, if the outside of brass is dull or odd looking, a quick cycle of 100% vinegar brings them back to looking like new.

dragon813gt
07-18-2012, 09:12 PM
The simplest solution I've found that works is 2L of water(fully heated), 1 tablespoon of canning citric acid powder and a 9mm case of LemiShine. If they need to be degreased I add a little dawn. I don't like using Vinegar because of the smell and cost. A trip into the vibratory tumbler at the end gives them a final polish and some NuFinish to keep them looking all sparkly.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.