PDA

View Full Version : Little info please...

41mag
07-04-2012, 12:12 PM
To start off with, I fully admit to never owning but one lever actio rifle and it was a Henry .22 Lr I gave to one of my nephews.

That said, I have been thinking about picking up one chambered in 45 Colt to start off with. Since I have a 41 &44 mag as well as the 454, they could possibly be next.

I have heard and read plenty of issues to be had with the micro groove barrels, don't know first hand of any of it.

I am primarily looking for something that I can pack down the hill or where ever and bust a hog or deer with. Nothing fancy, but something that will easily take most any boolit and loads up to mid Ruger levels.

I don't mind doin the looking, or spending the money for a good one,(within reason), but haven't got a clue as to which brands or models to look for, and for the most part would like to steer clear of the micro groove if possible.

Thanks,

runfiverun
07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
that narrows it down to a model 92 then.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Mike,

Look for a Marlin 1894CBC.

Sam :D

Lonegun1894
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Depending on budget, The two brands I have are a .45 Rossi 92 and a .45 Winchester 94. Both are accurate, and in a way I hate to say this, but the Rossi is smoother than the Winchester. I really dont think this is a issue of brand, but more design. The Rossi is a copy of the 1892 Winchester, which was designed for pistol cartridges, while the Winchester 1894 was designed around .30-30, .38-55, .32 Spl lenght cartridges, and doesn't feed the pistol rounds as well. I shoot the Rossi more due to this feeding difference, but accuracy is good in both.