PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 H4895 cast loads - am I on track?

brnomauser
07-04-2012, 07:27 AM
It's been a while, but I've finally got around to loading up some cast bullets for my 30-06. I've got some Lee 165gr and 171gr (both weighed) RN I cast a few months ago with 50/50 pb/linotype. I've put homemade aluminium gas checks on them.

I only have ADI 2206H (H4895 to you guys) - yes I should buy a more suitable powder but the nearest shop is a 5 hour round trip and besides I don't have the spare cash. I want them initially as a practice/plinking round so I can get some rounds of out this rifle - I've been missing a few shots hunting recently and I know it's grouping/zeroed well.

I've loaded them both up with 29gr of powder plus 1.5gr of dacron filling. However, after doing more research after I loaded it seems I can safely go even lower, is this correct? Also, it's been indicated the filler might increase pressure a bit - are these bullets going to be doing well over their accurate velocity range?

And I just gave each one a shake - all but two feel solid with no audile powder movement. With these I can here the powder moving when shaken, are these safe to fire or should I pull the bullets? I've heard with the dacron filler it must be compressed against the powder and bullet so the powder can't slam the filler - I've heard of people saying this can 'ring' the chamber...

Rifle is an HVA 1640 with 1:12 twist

ku4hx
07-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Some pretty interesting comments here; some of which seem relevant to your question.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=70579

Will
07-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Lee lists loads as low as 22gr h4895 180gr vel 1770. I wouldn't use any filler with these loads.

Larry Gibson
07-04-2012, 11:06 AM
brnomauser

It's been a while, but I've finally got around to loading up some cast bullets for my 30-06. I've got some Lee 165gr and 171gr (both weighed) RN I cast a few months ago with 50/50 pb/linotype. I've put homemade aluminium gas checks on them.

I only have ADI 2206H (H4895 to you guys) - yes I should buy a more suitable powder but the nearest shop is a 5 hour round trip and besides I don't have the spare cash. I want them initially as a practice/plinking round so I can get some rounds of out this rifle - I've been missing a few shots hunting recently and I know it's grouping/zeroed well.

I've loaded them both up with 29gr of powder plus 1.5gr of dacron filling. However, after doing more research after I loaded it seems I can safely go even lower, is this correct?

Yes, you can go lower. However, those bullet weights are on the low end for H4895 to burn efficiently in the '06 even with the dacron filler. Suggest you drop down to 25 gr and work back up to 29 gr and see if anything in that range works for you.

Also, it's been indicated the filler might increase pressure a bit - are these bullets going to be doing well over their accurate velocity range?

Yes, the dacron filler increases pressure a bit. Per a given charge it reduces cases capacity and negates position sensitivity. At the load levels you are talking the increase in pressure is not a concern.

And I just gave each one a shake - all but two feel solid with no audile powder movement. With these I can here the powder moving when shaken, are these safe to fire or should I pull the bullets? I've heard with the dacron filler it must be compressed against the powder and bullet so the powder can't slam the filler - I've heard of people saying this can 'ring' the chamber...

Wrong. The dacron should not be compressed against the powder. The dacron should just fill the space between the powder and the base of the bullet. It should be fluffed and not compressed. I suggest you reduce the amount of dacron to 3/4 to 1 gr and just poke it into the case, do not push it down on the powder compressing it.

I would shoot the cartridges mentioned. If you've a concern then pull the bullets, remove the dacron and reload them. Ringing s caused by the use of inappropriate burning rate powders with a wad mostly. A filler is not a wad contrary to some semantical interpretations.

Rifle is an HVA 1640 with 1:12 twist

'06 with a 12" twist....lucky you! If all is done correctly you should get good accuracy upwards of 2200+ fps. You might also retest loads using a 3/4 gr dacron filler in the 30 - 34 gr H4895 range with those bullets in your 12" twist rifle.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
07-04-2012, 12:26 PM
to clarify a little you DO want the filler touching both the powder and the boolit.
don't cram 5 grs in the case, but fluff enough in there to hold the powder in place and seat the boolit down on the filler.
i'll bet your load shoots pretty dang well.

PuppetZ
07-04-2012, 02:49 PM
I use H4895 in my '06 loads with the lee 180 Round nose. 35gr with 0.5 gr of fluffed cotton ball. You might get away with lighter loads but I found that below 30gr, I got un-burned powder left over in the barrel of my 700. With the aformentionned load, after a session, the barrel is still squeaky clean.

Of course, YMMV.

PuppetZ
07-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Lee lists loads as low as 22gr h4895 180gr vel 1770. I wouldn't use any filler with these loads.

True the filler is not an absolut requirment, but I found it helped a lot with consistency. Before I used filler, I had pretty bad cases of vertical spread of my group, ie : all within an inch horizontaly but 3-4 inches appart verticaly. H4895 is not position dependent alot but it is still affected by it enough for it to be noticed.

brnomauser
07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely go ahead and see what groups these give. I've got to go out and cut some firewood this weekend and I'll bring a board along.

So does it matter if you shake the cartridge and you can here the powder when you have filler?

The only thing that might let me down is the lube - I've put a stick of RCBS rifle lube in my lubesizer but the live is still coming out blue from the previous owner. It had a 355 sizer in which I assume means they were sizing 9mm bullets. As this lube is on my bullets I may get some decent leading? I need to cast some more but haven't had time yet...

Bullets are sized 310, bore slugged at 3085. Sized bullets are a tight hand/slip fit in a fired federal case. I assume this is ok?