PDA

View Full Version : SMLE sil long range???

Hayfield
04-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I could use some advice please. Picked up am SMLE No4 last summer. At 50 it's a 10x machine and at 100 it'll shoot the 10 ring out. About time I got a shooter. I'd like to use this rifle at the 200,300,385 & 500 m sil targets. My eyes, being somewhat used up need help so I put a B-Sq mount on it and affixed an old Leopold 3-9 on. Ok, give me the short course on how to set up the scope. I don't even know which side to shim. I figured I'd wind the elevation close to max down and shim the front to 100 yd zero. 314299 w/ LY #2, LA & 28.5 4895 by the way. Please comment on my load also as I just went with my 03 load per some general article on the 303brit site. What say youns guys?

Four Fingers of Death
04-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Is the B square mounted forward? al la scout scope? The No4 allows a stong mount on the reciever ring and charger guide, or you could use this:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/ScopeMount.htm

I think that If you are going to use it for real long distances, you may need a tapered base.

I've never used a scope past 500yds, I usually use one of these:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Military%20shooting/No4Lithgow7-2.jpg

You can adjust the iris and the front sight ring to suit the target and the range and you can get a 2x lens for the foresight, or a lens cut to your prescription for the rear sight. All in all, less hassle than a scope.

STP
04-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Hayfield,
If the rings are close to the adj. turrets and or the power adj. ring, that could lead to problems. Shimming either ring to achieve elevation "enhancement" will only bend the scope body too.
I`d suggest you take the scope off and zero the elevation and windage adjustments to it`s mechanical zero. (Like it was when it was new in the box.) W/O target knobs it is a bit of a pain to do as the friction dials of the Leupold 3X9 have the hash marks for reference...no "clicks".
Once you have both adjustments back to the center, put it back on the rifle. Place the rifle on bags with the bolt removed and bore sight on a distant target at least 100yds away. Once the bore is centered on the target, then look thru the scope. Hopefully, the windage is close, as the more windage correction is needed, the less elevation you end up with.
If your mount uses detachable rings you could use Burris`s Weaver Zee rings with the the offset plastic ring inserts. (Up to 20 inch offset at 100yds.) Works for both elevation and windage. A real advantage in cases like this.

S&K makes a no drill-no tap mount for the Brit and it works well. The only drawback is the higher scope position...you`ll need a cheek riser pad of some sort.

HTH...

armoredman
04-29-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't have a cast load for my No4MK1*, but I'll tell ya that a Hornady 174gr FMJ/BT, in Winchester virgin brass, over 32gr of H-4895, OAL 2.950, can give me MOA with my 1943 built Canuckian warhorse. That's iron sights, and with at least one buddy to vouch for me when it happens!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Enfield3.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
They are a sweet rifle if left alone with the factory bedding.

One thing the aussie target shooters (and I suppose most other countries did too) did when these were used as the main target rifle, was to screw the butt to the rear of the action. The screws entered through the mag well and faced back into the butt socket.

They also drilled out the sight slide detent, threaded the hole, refitted the detent ball and spring and then installed a grub screw so that the detent pressure on the sight ladder could be adjusted to take slack out. They also judiciously tightened the slide in the vice so that it rode as tightly as possible on the ladder (careful now!!!!).

Aparently they found that the standard bedding sydtem with presure under the barrel in front of the chamber and on the knox form was already the best arrangement with standard stocks.

Mick.