PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the NW

arthury
07-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi folks,

Just checking in to greet and meet. Hope your day has been good to ya.

I live in the NW, married with kids. Did some IDPA, a hand loader and shoot semi-autos, revolvers and rifles.

Lately, I acquired a S&W 500 and have been learning how to iron out the kinks with hand loading for the 500SW cartridge. Along the way, I keep seeing links to this website and when I actually looked at your conversations, I am impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness.

So, obviously, my interest in casting has reached a point where I'm now looking into it. Where is a good place in this forum to start understanding the major steps in casting, equipment, getting molds forged from Mt. Doom and start pouring shiny liquids?

So, here it is ... I am here ... to learn and give.

Cheers,
Art

Doc_Stihl
07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Welcome aboard. There's many hours of informative reading here on every subject imaginable.

wallenba
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
[smilie=s:Howdy Art!

blackthorn
07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Welcome! A good place to start is by reading the "sticky's" at the top of each forum. Also Glen's book "from ingot to target" (free download from this site). Have fun!

dragonrider
07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi Art, welcome,

Moonie
07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
You are at a cross roads, either follow us down the rabbit hole or RUN! If you join us welcome, if not, you have saved yourself. :kidding:

Echo
07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Welcome aboard, Art. But be advised - there is no escape. This is an addiction that can only be satisfied by the acquisition of Pb, Sn, Sb, molds, furnaces, sizers, Mule Snot, more molds, ad infinitum. Tough, but someone has to do it!

Hamish
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
At any given time, depending on what questions cross your mind, indulge in the search function freely, you can't go wrong.

As far as where to start, pick a spot and click away! Welcome!

Olevern
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Greetings and welcome home. Great place to be and a buncha great guys and gals. Pull up a chair and sit a spell (corncob pipe optional). Looking forward to your imput.
vern

JeffinNZ
07-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Good of you to stop by. Welcome aboard.

**oneshot**
07-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Hello and welcome!

Sticky's, searching the forums, and there are a few books(lyman casting handbook, Veral's book, etc). I learned alot from someone correct me if I'm wrong www.lasc.us check under cast bullet notes. Grab a chair, a coffee/iced beverage, and read on.

Searching inside the forums is great for specific questions, but for general knowledge and help understanding what your about to get yourself into, the books and lasc are great.

Be patient, this is not an exact science, sometimes things just work sometimes they just won't.

Tom

303Guy
07-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Welcome aboard, arthury. :drinks: (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=24544)

I fired one of those once. I took the trouble to hold it tight into my shoulder - good decision! It should be just great on piggies.

I wonder how that cartridge would work with paper patching ..... ? [smilie=1: But be careful. If you think casting is addicting ...... :mrgreen:

Dean D.
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Welcome Art, lots of us up in the NW.

quilbilly
07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Greeting Art from the wilds of the Olympic Peninsula. If you are in the area of Hood Canal, feel free to stop by.

dagger dog
07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey from Southern Hoosierville Art!

Ken B
07-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Hey Art and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arthury
07-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Happy 4th!

geargnasher
07-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Another welcome from me, just remember you got yourself into this when you start cussing us later on for your addiction!

If you're starting out with a revolver, there is no single better place to go than to the Los Angeles Silhouette Club's website and either download or read the Glen Fryxell/Rob Applegate "book" From Ingot to Target: A cast bullet guide for handgunners.. It's free, it's a pleasure to read, and is chock-full of excellent information, explanation, and directions that will give you the understanding you need to get started, and the answers to the questions you didn't even know you needed to be asking.

The Classics and Stickies here are good too, and feel free to jump in at any time if you don't find the answers you're looking for.

Gear

hiram1
07-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Welcome Art,Glad to have ya.the guys here are good guys and true .thay will help you and tell you what thay know.DONT buy lube groves as there hard to get out of the box

crazy mark
07-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Welcome Art from another NW person. You are sunk now joining this group.