PDA

View Full Version : fishing with Zack and Cody

Olevern
07-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Took Z and D fishing today. Started on the lake with my alum. boat and fished for about one and one half hours from boat; D not real comfortable with the boat thing, afraid of the boat movement whenever anybody shifted positions so, in deference to his fears after 1 1/2 hours we went ashore and fished from there for the last hour. In the 2 1/2 hours we were at the lake, the boys took (and returned) 11 and 9 panfish (Z had the higher number). Had a great time with the boys and planning a day at the range soon (perhaps with the twins included).

Sorry, pics deleted over safety concerns

I have learned over the years that, except in special cases, most younger boys can take maybe two hours of fishing, and that only if they are catching fish. Then you lose their interest and they are ready to move on to something else. For this reason I usually try to keep the fishing to no more than several hours....leave them wanting more so they will want to come back the next time.

There has been a rare boy over the years (and I am mentoring one now) who lives to fish....this boy (Austin) I can take out all day and he will still not want to go home...but he is the exception.

TCLouis
07-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Remember the words in that song by Trace Adkins as you fish with the boys.

gray wolf
07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Good on you for caring about the youngsters.
There's something special about doing things for the children, and caring about how they grow up. But it seems you are well aware of that. Nice job.

EMC45
07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Row boat. Classy. The one thing that troubles me is this..... YOU THREW BACK 20 PANFISH?!?!?!!?!? That's some good eating Sir!

Olevern
07-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Row boat. Classy. The one thing that troubles me is this..... YOU THREW BACK 20 PANFISH?!?!?!!?!? That's some good eating Sir!

Yeah, I know....the boys will not eat them and I already got a freezer full.

Only way I keep one now is if it will not survive.

Z says he doesn't like fish, but I am going to cook some for us the next time he is over for dinner; just will have a back up ready if he really doesn't like them....I don't think he has ever tried them.