PDA

View Full Version : Storm

44man
07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
We lost power Fri in the storm, it just came back on. I am ready to receive rants again! :kidding:
So hot in the house I packed guns in ice.

Thumbcocker
07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
So hot in the house I packed guns in ice.[/QUOTE]

Good to see that your emergency plan has the priorities in order.

RobS
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
It's been hot for sure across the majority of the US and loosing powder would suck.

About the guns:

Quit shooting them.......they stay cooler that way!!!

375RUGER
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
How hot was it in your area?

I hope you didn't lose any perishables. I lost a bunch of meat once when my freezer went out becasue these so called arc-fault circuit interupts tripped. The fault wasn't even on the circuit that the freezer was on.

My wife did some work last year and got a generator for payment, so for extended outages we have some backup for critical operations, like the lead pot, and the a/c in the lead shed and hot plate for lube....

Good to see you back online.[smilie=s:

44man
07-03-2012, 09:18 AM
How hot was it in your area?

I hope you didn't lose any perishables. I lost a bunch of meat once when my freezer went out becasue these so called arc-fault circuit interupts tripped. The fault wasn't even on the circuit that the freezer was on.

My wife did some work last year and got a generator for payment, so for extended outages we have some backup for critical operations, like the lead pot, and the a/c in the lead shed and hot plate for lube....

Good to see you back online.[smilie=s:
It was over 100*. In 2010 I bought a 6000 watt generator at Aldys for $300. It sat in the garage all this time. I back fed through a 220 volt outlet in the garage after shutting the main breaker off. It ran everything, 2 freezers, 2 fridges, water pump, sump pump, dehumidifier, lights, fans and even the TV. I used a lot of gas but never lost a thing except air conditioning and the hot water tank. I was afraid to push too far.
A neighbor powered 5 freezers, ETC and even heated water with a 5000 watt. He is a farmer and even used a milker after I told him how to back feed. He used his dryer outlet.
Noise and fuel are the problem. Some electronics don't take kindly to generators unless you have a special unit.
Get a generator even if it sits for years. Learn to hook it up. I bought a plug for each end and just used no. 10 under ground Romax I had around to plug it into my dust collector 220 volt outlet.
It still amazes me how much they will keep running. Always have enough gas, we had a station that still had power.

saz
07-04-2012, 09:17 AM
By "back feed" you ran from the 220 outlet in the generator into an existing 220 outlet in the house?
I would have never thought of that.

44man
07-04-2012, 10:34 AM
By "back feed" you ran from the 220 outlet in the generator into an existing 220 outlet in the house?
I would have never thought of that.
Yes, just make sure your main breaker is off. You do not want to feed your neighbors or have power in the lines so workers get killed.
Then keep checking the main line to your house with a volt meter every now and then to see if power is back. If it is, unplug the generator first, remove the wire and shut it off.
I removed the cover to my breaker box so I could keep checking the incoming line.
Most just use the plugs and an extension to a fridge but you can power your whole house by back feed. Bathroom fan and lights are so important! :lol:
If you have a well, you need water.
Shut off breakers for the air conditioner and water heater, they need too much unless you have a huge generator.
Never get less then 5000 watts because running is only 4000 with a surge to 5000. It will amaze you how much of your house will be alive.

Silver Jack Hammer
07-04-2012, 01:00 PM
It has finally quit raining here and they say it will be dry for the next few weeks. We haven't had a summer yet. I'm not complaining. My loading bench is above the garage and prone to getting too hot to use on summer afternoons. Been able to load a lot lately because it's been so cool. At this very moment all my brass is loaded. 1000 .44 Special, about the same number of .45 Colt. .45 ACP is loaded and in boxes all ready for the range and upcoming matches and conferences.