PDA

View Full Version : A legal sawed off shotgun

waksupi
07-02-2012, 04:06 PM
We had an order come in for a blanket gun, mainly to use as a wall hanger. The customer wanted it antiqued, and as I spent 30 years in the museum restoration and reproduction business, it was directed my way.

These were made from standard trade guns, and cut down by the Indians. The use for them was for running buffalo from horseback, and to be easily concealable under their blankets, hence the name, blanket gun.

I don't know how common these were. I have seen mention of them in several old books. I have only ever seen two originals.

pietro
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Quite allrite - although I think I would have ordered a flared muzzle Blunderbuss, myself.

turtlezx
07-02-2012, 05:24 PM
so where is the cut off point that its legal to cut a barrel down under 18"
and be legal ??????????

joec
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
With a muzzle loader I don't think it is illegal. I base that on the facts there are several sources on line for gun in muzzle loaders sold with out even an FFL required.

Marvin S
07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Looks good, I always wanted a canoe gun in 24ga.

Fly
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Man I need to make one of those dudes.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly

waksupi
07-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Muzzleloaders are considered non-firearms under Federal law, and restrictions do not apply.

Mike Brooks
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
We had an order come in for a blanket gun, mainly to use as a wall hanger. The customer wanted it antiqued, and as I spent 30 years in the museum restoration and reproduction business, it was directed my way.

These were made from standard trade guns, and cut down by the Indians. The use for them was for running buffalo from horseback, and to be easily concealable under their blankets, hence the name, blanket gun.

I don't know how common these were. I have seen mention of them in several old books. I have only ever seen two originals.

GREAT buffalo runner.:bigsmyl2: Very historically correct. I wish sometime in my wasted youth I would have run buffs with a gun like that...what an experience it would have been!:Fire:
I'm pleased you called it what it is instead of the more popular but WRONG name "canoe gun":veryconfu

waksupi
07-03-2012, 12:36 AM
GREAT buffalo runner.:bigsmyl2: Very historically correct. I wish sometime in my wasted youth I would have run buffs with a gun like that...what an experience it would have been!:Fire:
I'm pleased you called it what it is instead of the more popular but WRONG name "canoe gun":veryconfu

The canoe guns are an entirely different animal. We make those too, check the North Star West home page. If I recall correctly, the canoe gun is kind of a bastard child that Bob Rathbun came up with.
Although a short length of pull, and short barrel though longer than the blanket gun, they are still an easily shoulder mounted firearm. Some who haven't fired them, don't think they could be very accurate. I have witnessed how well they shoot at the World Championships, and shot them myself with good results. Mike Nesbitt has been shooting his in competition a lot lately, and doing very well with it.
As far as blanket guns go, if something was far off, you wouldn't be able to hit a buffalo bull in the butt with it. I seem to recall Blue Jacket Sanders, and Ken Allaman using them bear hunting years ago, though.

Geraldo
07-03-2012, 08:14 AM
There's no barrel length restrictions on muzzleloaders. You can buy a SBS 20ga Pedersoli with 11.5" barrels at Cabelas.

Ric, I recently went to an exhibit of antique guns and there was a blanket gun, although a much later version. It was a Springfield percussion musket that had been cut down to similar proportions to the one in your pic.

Boerrancher
07-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Muzzleloaders are considered non-firearms under Federal law, and restrictions do not apply.

Exactly right, and many states consider them non-firearms as well. As a teenager I packed a small 36cal cap and ball revolver in a shoulder holster, under my jacket. I cleared it with the county sheriff and the local town police chief, and they said since they were non-firearms me packing it concealed was a non-issue.

Best wishes,

Joe

Good Cheer
07-03-2012, 09:13 AM
There once was a Navy Arms SxS 12 ga that came with two sets of barrels, one 28" and the other 14".

By the way, nice looking blanket gun! If anyone would go hunting with a pistol, why not with sawed off?

Marvin S
07-03-2012, 08:00 PM
For those that get Muzzleloader mag Mike Nesbitt has a good article on the short guns.

whtsmoke
07-04-2012, 06:08 AM
My 62 cal. canoe gun has a 20 inch bbl on it, makes a rather short handy little hunting gun. Smoothbore flintnlock of course. I put sights on mine and believe it or not the thing is pretty accurate for what it is.

rromeo
07-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Exactly right, and many states consider them non-firearms as well. As a teenager I packed a small 36cal cap and ball revolver in a shoulder holster, under my jacket. I cleared it with the county sheriff and the local town police chief, and they said since they were non-firearms me packing it concealed was a non-issue.

Best wishes,

JoeVerify all laws first. And that means reading the codes, not just asking a cop. Andy Taylor may not think something is a big deal, but Roscoe P. Coltrane in the next county over may give you a hassle. I think most states do not consider them as firearms for matters of sale and transfer, but but some states have more laws related to carry and usage. Also, just because it's legal, doesn't mean somebody won't scream GUN!
I'm not saying don't carry a BP gun, just to keep all things in mind.

Tatume
07-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi Romes,

You're absolutely correct. Patchwork state and local laws will make criminals out of the most law-abiding citizen. Here in Virginia a muzzleloading firearm is definately considered a firearm for purposes of most enforcement actions. Just because they may be purchased without the usual rigamarole doesn't mean a thing to the cop who spots one on your person or in your vehicle. You can verify this by reading nothing more obscure than the game laws pamphlet published by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, which clearly spells out what is considered "unloaded" for purposes of enforcement (percussion cap removed or flash pan empty). If you're going to carry a gun, make sure you obey the laws or don't get caught.

That said, I am aware of no Virginia laws prohibiting short barreled muzzleloading rifles or shotguns.

Take care, Tom

Longwood
07-04-2012, 01:56 PM
There once was a Navy Arms SxS 12 ga that came with two sets of barrels, one 28" and the other 14".

By the way, nice looking blanket gun! If anyone would go hunting with a pistol, why not with sawed off?

My answer to that would be,,, I can hit what I shoot at with a pistol.

KCSO
07-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I restored an original blanket gun for a friend about 20 years ago nd it still hangs on his wall. We used it to fire salutes in our demonstrations for a number of years. In Dances With Wolves I carried a double gun with a 12" barrel on a thong hung from my shoulder. suprisingly they make a fair to middling rabbit gun.