PDA

View Full Version : I need a recipe for blue cheese dressing

WARD O
07-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I could use a good recipe for blue cheese salad dressing - anyone got one to share?

thanks
ward

Fishman
07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
My wife made some the other day with ranch dressing and added blue cheese crumbles. It is far and away better than any blue cheese dressing I've eaten. Just ranch dressing and add blue cheese until it tastes awesome. That's it.

waksupi
07-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Google is your friend!

shaggist
07-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Makes about 3/4 cup

2 1/2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled from a slice, not pre-crumbled
3 Tbls. buttermilk
3 Tbls. sour cream
2 Tbls. Dukes Mayo
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/4 teas. sugar
1/8 teas. garlic powder
Salt and ground black pepper (aggressively applied as dressing will be used over greens)

Mash blue cheese and buttermilk in small bowl with fork until mixture
resembles cottage cheese with small curds. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
(dressing can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 2 weeks)

WARD O
07-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Dukes mayo??? Is that a favorite brand or something else?

Bodydoc447
07-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Dukes is a very well beloved regional (?) brand of mayo. Not many stores here in the TX panhandle carry it but a few do. It is listed specifically in some recipes (like a friend's sister's recipe for pimento cheese which calls for Dukes and ONLY Dukes).

shaggist
07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Duke's is by far the best mayonaisse of all the brands available. My Grandmother, who grew up on a farm, making mayo from scratch as there were no commercially prepared mayos then, said that Duke's was the ONLY one in the store that came anywhere close to being as good as home-made, and she would buy nothing else.
Try it, you'll like it!

WARD O
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't remember ever seeing it on the shelves here in Minnesota but I'll give it a look. The recipe looks interesting - any favorite brand of blue cheese?

shaggist
07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
No particular brand name of blue cheese, but crumbles made from a slice from a wheel of cheese, not the prepackaged crumbles. The crumbles that are prepackaged are tossed in corn starch to keep them from sticking together and they don't taste as good as the ones from a wheel slice.

gandydancer
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Makes about 3/4 cup

2 1/2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled from a slice, not pre-crumbled
3 Tbls. buttermilk
3 Tbls. sour cream
2 Tbls. Dukes Mayo
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1/4 teas. sugar
1/8 teas. garlic powder
Salt and ground black pepper (aggressively applied as dressing will be used over greens)

Mash blue cheese and buttermilk in small bowl with fork until mixture
resembles cottage cheese with small curds. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
(dressing can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 2 weeks)
Yummy yummy in the tummy. I will give it a try. Dukes eh? thanks. GD

WARD O
07-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Corn starch on the pre crumbles heh? I long ago left them as poor tasting but now I know why!

ward

WARD O
07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
This is dang good! Thank you.... It is just what I wanted as now I can vary the amounts according to what I personally like.....

ward

shaggist
07-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Mix, eat, and enjoy, Ward-O. If you want to thin it a little, add just a touch more buttermilk and sour cream. This is the best recipe I have found and it suits me to a Tee. You can store it for a short time in the 'fridge, but mine never lasts that long.

Lance Boyle
08-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I make mine fresh for each salad so I really don't measure or make all that much.

Danish blue, Rosenborg if you can find it is the best (best in my opinion but I have used the cheap crumbles)- Worst was large no name block out of sam's club, made in the USA (should have been my first clue). It was big blue and veiny but had zip for taste, in fact it was more hard wax like than cheese. Only blue cheese I have ever thrown in the garbage. After having it for weeks and avoiding it I tossed it in the rubbish where it belonged.

I put about 2 tbsp of crumbled blue in the bowl. If you're using the cheap stuff you can bring out the flavor a bit and I'll get to that in a bit.

I grind in some fresh black pepper and a pinch or 2 or sea salt. sometimes a dash of garlic powder but I usually leave it out. Other flavor kicks are sometimes a dash of red hot or pinch of cayenne powder or more often a light dash or worscester sauce.

Now the acid, my preference is for red wine vinegar, it just works. White vinegar is ok or you could use lemon juice. I use about 1/2 to 1 tsp of vinegar/acid. (go light with the 1/2 tsp as you can add more.

Here is where you can bring out the blue cheese flavor even out of cheap stuff. With a fork stir the vinegar and crumbles around, this is making a blue cheese liquid slurry spiced with your seasonings. Don't destroy all your crumbles but do work some of them into the liquid.

Now is the time I put in the mayonaise, for me it's probably 2 or 3 tbsps. Stir in the cheesy liquidy goodness with the mayo and your dressing will already have the flavors throughout, no aging in the fridge necessary. Maybe I'm a tard but I thought of this on my own after so many ho hum blue cheese dressings. The liquid slurry method rocks in my own humble opinion. Note I use no sour cream, buttermilk or milk. I want my BC dressing heavy and not thin.

God forbid buying them crappy store bottles. You get nothing good in them. I haven't bought a store dressing in years except some cheap italian for camping marinade.

Oh and if you're going this far for blue cheese dressing by all means make your own croutons. They go together like peas and carrots.

WARD O
08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I will try that this weekend - kids are coming over for a lobster grilling party and I think this is just what we need for a salad. Other menu items are some apricot juice/honey glazed fresh garden beets and some rice pilaf! Should be quite the meal!

ward