PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Decent Trigger Pull on a M/N

KCSO
07-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Although you can't get rid of alll the creep in a Mosin trigger you can make a world oof difference in the trigger with some carefull work. I just took a M/N Russian gun from 9 pounds to 4 pounds with just a trace of creep. That is the good news the bad news is that you can expect to put 2 hours or more into the job and you willl need a few tools. You will need a 11/64 drill and a reamer for #17 drill or a .173. This is based on the measurments of the Russian rifle I have in had. The trigger pins vary in size somewhat so you will have to measure FIRST. The object here is to pivot the trigger smoothly with out any side to side play. The receiver and trigger in most of the M/N are soft and you should have no trouble drilling and reaming the holes to size, then fit a pin made from the proper diameter drilll rod. I harden mine with Upper Missouri hardening compound.

Next polish the sear face on the bolt and the face of the trigger. POLISH do not change any angles and use a stone and work to keep the surfaces square. Then when it looks nice and smooth I buff the faces with a soft wheel coated with tripoli, the object here is to have the faces as smooth as possible but not to grind off metal or lose any of the hardened surfaces.

Next you need to polish the inside of the trigger where the spring rides and not for the tricky part...

Youo will need to draw file the sides of the combination sear and sear spring and remove slowly and carefully about 1/16" of metal from the rear of the sear/spring combination. Go slow and re assemble and try as you go. To reduce the creep I cut a shim from brass stock or aluminum and put it under the pad of the sear/spring where the screw holds the unit to the frame. Usually 15 to 20 thousands is about right.

Then when the job is all done I use Brownell's Action Magic on all contact surfaces.

The pictures show the narrowed spring with the shim underneath, the hardened pin in the trigger and the polish on the sear engagment of the bolt.

This trigger measures exactly 58 Oz on my RCBS trigger pull guage and will holt when hammered wth a 2 pound rubber mallet on the stripped action. It compares favorably with the replacment Huber unit that is currently selling of about $90.00 and all it takes is slow carefull work.

Kicker96fs
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Nice write up. I did pretty much the same to mine and now I can pull the shot off with out moving the darn rifle!

94ranger
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice write up. I did pretty much the same to mine and now I can pull the shot off with out moving the darn rifle!

Good write up. I have one of these coming in soon and may have to try this!

Hang Fire
07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
I haven’t done so, but know the MN trigger can be greatly improved.

Years ago I bought which from outward appearances, what looked like a run of the mill bubbarized MN carbine. Not sure exactly what was done to trigger, but it has one of the best no creep and lightest let off have ever found on a MN and it too can take jarring blows to receiver without failing.

From what I can see, there is a very light clothespin type spring for taking the loose slack, shake and rattle out, a thin shim is beneath the trigger/sear spring screw, the trigger sear and bolt sear engagement are both highly polished and there are no pins in the trigger. Someone put on a Lyman front ramp and bead sight.

The action works so slick as to make a Krag look stiff, on raising bolt handle and rifle at even less than a 45 degree angle, the bolt of it’s own weight falls to fully open. The polished action is truly one which is slicker than glass.

In this video I made about the MN safety, one can see just how slick the action is (at 0.44) when I raise the carbine to set it aside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Z1-ucpPMg